General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
will this work ok with 32mb ram?
Posted by: Dave
Date: January 23, 2002 09:02AM

Hi
I know that the minimum requirements for K-meleon say 32mb ram but will it run happily with just that much memory? I have come across many programs that say that they need 32bm ram minimum but they are unuseable with just that much memory. I use kmeleon 0.6 on a 128mb computer but I would like to try it on my laptop which only has 32mb ram, I find IE 5.5 crashes too much as I have windows 95C on this laptop so I am thinking about trying it out. It has a 266mhz processor and I dont want to add more ram. I dont want to take the risk of installing it before I know it will work and wont freeze windows as this laptop has important files from work.
dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: will this work ok with 32mb ram?
Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: January 23, 2002 10:15AM

Your swap file (alias pagefile, virtual memeory) should at least be 32mb, but higher is better.
Nobody can really predict what will happen if a program runs on a machine, that is too tight. A lot will depend on the sites you visit, as this adds to the memory usage.

But don't be afraid of trying out. You will see pretty quick, if the program ill-behaves and you can uninstall it.

Bernard

Posted by: po
Date: January 23, 2002 10:45AM

start out with an absolute minimum of plugins, and see how that goes, maybe.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: January 23, 2002 11:14AM

Dave,

I've run it on an old 90 Mhz Pentium with 40 MB of RAM and Windows98. It wasn't speedy starting up but it ran OK. It won't br a speed demon but it probably won't lock up your machine. Like Po suggested, use the minimum number of plugins and make sure that you don't have a lot of stuff running in the background.

Andrew

Posted by: Rolf Karlsson
Date: January 29, 2002 01:19PM

Hi!

I don't see why it shouldn't. I'm writing this on my Dell laptop, a 150MHz Pentium with 32MB RAM running Win98lite (www.98lite.net). Compared to the systems performance K-Meleon 0.6 performance is ok and I have no stability problems. The only thing that I've configured is the pagefile, which is forced to 64 - 256 MB (64 in use). Forcing Win9x to a certain amount of pagefile is something I recomend anyway.

I can't compare K-Meleon to IE, it's kind of removed and it won't find it's way back. If you're having stability and/or performance problems I can recomend Win98lite, havn't had a problem with it so far (a couple of years), removal of IE really makes the system running more smothly and I have access to Win98 better hw / powersave (hrm well, power doesn't work so god on this old wreck...).

//Rolf Karlsson
IT-IS Administrator (MCP)

BTW:
Mozilla 0.97 also runs fine but very slow....

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.