General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
hotmail ADSAdClient31.dll annoyance
Posted by: vijay
Date: June 01, 2005 01:36AM

For some reason hotmail is serving ads using a dll (I don't know exactly how, apparently some reference to http://rad.msn.com/ADSAdClient31.dll - check this link http://will.id.au/blog/archive/2004/07/26/something-interesting-with-msncom). k-meleon attempts to download the dll everytime. I tried to include it under the usercontent.css at different points:

img[src*="ADSAdClient31.dll"],
a:link[href*="ADSAdClient31.dll"] img,
*[src*="ADSAdClient31.dll"],
*[href*="ADSAdClient31.dll"],

nothing works. i still keep getting 5-6 annoying file save dialog boxes as K-Meleon wants me to download the dll. can anyone give me a solution?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hotmail ADSAdClient31.dll annoyance
Posted by: Carson
Date: June 01, 2005 02:16AM

Well, on the first one, I got a long hourglass; nothing more. I suppose it would have timed out sooner or later. On the second one I got the blog. But nothing tried to download, so maybe I'm not understanding this right??

Posted by: horse
Date: June 01, 2005 05:33AM

No entiendo muy bien el inglés pero creo que Carson busca un sitio donde bajar el archivo adsadclient31.dll.

Lo tenéis aquí:

http://www.bsdnixsolutions.com/ADSAdClient31.dll

Posted by: Drahken
Date: June 01, 2005 11:53AM

Blocking with the usercontent.css file does NOT prevent the browser from downloading the blocked image or file, all it does is hide the image. In order to prevent the browser from downloading the image or file, you need to use the HOSTS file, a PAC file, a firewall, or an external ad blocker. Using KM's hosterperm file may or may not work, I don't know if hostperm only affects images and cookies or if it can completely block a site. You'll just have to try it and see.

Posted by: Eric
Date: June 01, 2005 04:49PM

I had no trouble going straight to the blog. Nothing was downloaded. I am using the Zone Alarm firewall with anti virus software, maybe that has something to do with it.

Posted by: Brian
Date: June 01, 2005 05:55PM

the ADSAdClient31.dll just didn't respond. the link sent me to a file which k-meleon attempted to download.

Brian

Date: June 01, 2005 08:45PM

The code is in this frame: http://cb2.msn.com/header.armx?lid=1033&cbpage=login&lc=1033&x=3.0.0884.0

<iframe id="rad" src="http://rad.msn.com/ADSAdClient31.dll?GetAd?PG=HOTL28"; frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"></iframe>

You can block it by adding rad.msn.com to your hostperm file.

Posted by: Tony
Date: June 18, 2005 03:54AM

Where is the hostperm file located?

Posted by: tech10171968
Date: June 18, 2005 12:54PM

vijay,

You ever try Spyblocker v8.7? It's something like an adblocker on steroids, and does an excellent job on things like this. I configured my app to log its blocks, then clicked the URL you provided; as a result this is what showed up in the blocklog:

Logged Entry Saturday, Jun 18 2005 at 08:50:11 AM
Remote Port: 3056
Local Port: 80
Host: 127.0.0.1 (SpyBlocker)
[ADVERTISEMENT]
[COOKIE]
[BLOCKED]

GET /ADSAdClient31.dll HTTP/1.1
Host: rad.msn.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Connection: close
Referer: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=26942&t=26942
Cookie: CULTURE=en-US; mh=MSFT; SPEED=B; MC1=V=3&GUID=05e15e426c1f45168eb9ab442bea05c7

The ad never showed up on my screen :-)

You could also try Proxomitron, which does a few other things in addition to blocking ads. Both of these apps are excellent at what they do, and I've used either one on various occasions; now I don't dare surf without them.

Date: June 18, 2005 03:01PM

Tony, there is a thread about hosts files at
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=26068&t=26049

There has been some discussion about hosts files, as they can be used as a very effective ad block, as Hao Jiang incorporates in his K-Ms. (Like most protective agents, they require updating.)

If they were used wrongly, they could become "fifth columnists" and work against the security of your system.

Date: June 18, 2005 03:21PM

Oops. I forgot the direct answer to your question, Tony. If you have a K-Meleon by Hao Jiang, look here:

C:\...\K-Meleon\...\defaults\profile\hostperm.1

If you are using an original K-Meleon, that hostperm file will not be there. If you are using modifications by other people, it may or may not be.

Date: June 18, 2005 06:33PM

Then in which version of k-melon should I have so it has the hostperm file, because the dll is really blocking my vision on mozilla

Date: June 18, 2005 06:37PM

Oh never mind i found it thanks

Date: June 18, 2005 06:45PM

Oh btw i found the hostperm file, but apparently I can't open it, so how can i add the rad.msn.com into it so I can block it?

Date: June 20, 2005 11:07AM

You should be able to open it in notepad (it's just a text file), but make sure KM is closed first.

If you can't for some reason, you can go tools->privacy->permissions->cookies and tools->privacy->permissions->images and add rad.msn.com to both (since it's neither an image nor a cookie, I'm not sure which will block it, but I know that one of them will).

Posted by: paul
Date: December 27, 2006 10:59PM

My pc has this and every so often, while surfing the net, I get like a thousand windows that pop up in a manner of seconds. How do I get rid of it? Is my comp damaged?

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 28, 2006 04:49AM

no not damaged (that can not do damage )- it is just popups :-(

k-meleon has a blockers for it. If it still happens - best swich Java script & popups off. Both can be done from privacy bar, from menus or F7/F8 respectively.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2008 12:18AM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.