General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Skinning K-M (toolbars etc).
Posted by: Al.
Date: February 06, 2002 02:25AM

Hi,
I was just wondering if there is any instruction available, whether it be on this website or elsewhere, on creating toolbar icons and skins for K-meleon, mainly sizes, specifications, and preferably what graphic programs would work best, as I'd like to dabble in creating a new "look" for K-M.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Skinning K-M (toolbars etc).
Posted by: po
Date: February 06, 2002 03:29AM

mostly in bits and pieces on the forums... although there may have been something added to the docs pages recently... also, the comments in the toolbars.cfg, etc. files give the basic instructions. nothing is too critical as far as sizes, really... you'll want the vertical dimension of your throbber to be a few pixels more than the size of your toolbar buttons, or it'll have space above/below it... pure magenta (255, 0, 255) is transparent...also, there's a resources list that hasn't really taken off yet, but you could try posting to:

http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/18726/0/

any specific questions you could also post to this thread, and somebody will probably be able to help out... try a search of the forums first, though.

Posted by: Al.
Date: February 07, 2002 12:19AM

Thanks Po,
I have tried a search, however like you say it is a little fragmented around the forums. I guess the best approach will be to have a look at existing skins to get an idea, and then play around with Microangelo or a similar program to create the icons. The only grey area I can find here though is, if I create individual icons for each toolbar action, then how do I assemble them all together into a singular file? Of course if somebody had the time they could probably add the instructions into the resources or documentation areas for perusal :-)
Anyways, time to "hunt" around...

Posted by: po
Date: February 07, 2002 01:12AM

yeah... time. smiling smiley

actually, you don't *need* icons... just plain old bitmaps, and they can be seperate little tiny images, or a long strip of images (which is what the toolbar.cfg is set up for by default). you just need to have all the bitmaps handy, then point to them in the toolbar configuration, using different names if they're all seperate files, or index numbers if they're on a strip... a little playing around should make it make sense...

Posted by: sven
Date: February 07, 2002 06:07PM

i still have up on my server psd for my mozilla skin:
http://aab.spin.ee/kmeleon/files/km_modern_psd.zip

it contains separate layers for each element, guides, one empty button for adding your own glyphs to, overlays for creating inacitve look, overlay for hover (weak though) and piece of background to test over. i created it in Photoshop but GIMP at least seemed to open it nicely, with all layers and stuff intact.

Posted by: oxygenius
Date: February 09, 2002 04:14PM

PSD-files are also good to open with Fireworks 3+, corel 9+ should do so, too.
maybe Ulead PhotoImpact (newest) does a good job, too - after their WebRazor/SmartSaver Suite already does.

cu, w0lf.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.