General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mousewheel and server privs
Posted by: Oswald Glinkmeyer
Date: February 07, 2002 04:29PM

Two issues here.

I posted this issue in an older thread, but never got any answers. I notice that K-Meleon does not behave as with other aps when I use the mouse wheel. Although Control Panel|Mouse has my wheel set at six lines, K-Meleon scrolls a screen or more when I use the mouse wheel. I have found that I can stop this behavior by holding the shift key when using the mouse wheel. It's annoying, though, that I have to use different actions in K-Meleon to get the same action seen in all other applications.

Also, why does K-Meleon sometimes ask for server privileges?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mousewheel and server privs
Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 07, 2002 07:57PM

Oswald,

Server privileges requests are due to the Mozilla architecture and how the internal components "talk" to each other. There is no security risk from that.

Andrew

Posted by: po
Date: February 07, 2002 08:42PM

as for the scrolling, i believe it has to do with the fact that k-meleon uses the gecko engine for scrolling, rather than the standard windoze interface, which is also why the scrollbar doesn't follow the UI color/size scheme, either... somebody correct me if i'm off the mark here...

Posted by: Bill
Date: February 08, 2002 03:59AM

To me K-Meleons scrolling especially it's auto scrolling is superior to IE's. MS Optical Mouse Win98 IE 5.5 standard windows drivers.

Date: February 08, 2002 05:19AM

I still have the problem that it scrolls multiple pages when I use the wheel unless I remember to use the shift key. This doesn't make intuitive sense to me. The reason I use the wheel is because I'm not keeping my hands on the keyboard. If I were using the keyboard I'd just use the arrows and the PageUp PageDn keys. Since I'm using the mouse wheel, I don't want to have to reach over and use the keyboard. I wouldn't mind if this were user configurable. Otherwise I'd prefer it work in the standard way. Having to adjust my habits each time I run *one* piece of software isn't good.

BTW, I noticed that in NN 4.08 it's exactly the opposite. Shift-wheel scrolls by pages while unshifted-wheel scrolls by lines as set in control panel.

Bill, what do you mean by "auto scrolling"?

Andrew, what if I deny it server status? That's what I've been doing, and I haven't noticed anything different.

Thanks.

Posted by: Bill
Date: February 08, 2002 12:07PM

I press down once on mouse wheel and arrow comes up on screen and can scroll up or down page or left right if necessary by just barely moving mouse. Then press down on wheel again to leave this mode. By just barely moving mouse down can scroll slow enough to read as it scrolls...

Date: February 08, 2002 02:24PM

Oswald,

I think it is the security modules that request server priveleges so you might be opening up security holes by doing that. All K-Meleon is doing is communicating to itself internally on your computer. It doesn't send any traffic out over the Internet that way.

Andrew

Date: February 08, 2002 06:49PM

>>I press down once on mouse wheel and arrow comes up on screen and can scroll up or down page or left right if necessary by just barely moving mouse. Then press down on wheel again to leave this mode. By just barely moving mouse down can scroll slow enough to read as it scrolls...<<

It doesn't behave like that at all for me. In KM it behaves much like the wheeling does. I press down, and it gives me the little icon you mention, but moving my mouse causes the page to move several screens worth, just as it does when I use the wheel. KM is the only application that exhibits this behavior.

I like the wheel to act like the wheel does in every other application on my computer. Spin it down one notch, it goes down the number of lines specified in the control panel. Spin it up, it does the same thing. Just wish KM did the same thing.

>> I think it is the security modules that request server priveleges so you might be opening up security holes by doing that. All K-Meleon is doing is communicating to itself internally on your computer. It doesn't send any traffic out over the Internet that way.<<

I gave it local server privs and it still is asking ZoneAlarm for internet privs. :-S

Date: February 08, 2002 09:35PM

Oswald,

When is it doing that? When you start up and it tries to connect to the K-Meleon site? Are you allowing normal HTTP traffic?

Andrew

Date: February 09, 2002 02:30PM

It does it when I start KM, but not every time. I have the home page set to blank, so it shouldn't be trying to connect with anything that I know of. ZoneAlarm is set up to allow it local and internet connects, allow local server, but prompt for internet server. And it does prompt for internet server privs every so often.

Right now, the computer with KM died, so I can't check it out. I should have it back up early in the week. <sigh>

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.