General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
File size of download
Posted by: Sean Robertson
Date: February 07, 2002 10:34PM

I can't help but wonder why this browser, which doesn't caintain anything but the borwser itself (IE, no mail/news crap, etc.) still weighs in at nearly 4MB. Why isn't it possible to create a basic brwoser that is lightweight and small enough to fit on a single floppy? Even in this time of high speed connnections, it's still nice to have something that download, loads, and runs quickly without _any_ extra bloat. If it isn't possible to create a 'light' version of K-Meleon, does anyone know of any other browser projects out there that may fit my needs?

BTW, you guys really need some different download mirrors. Even aside from the above, the sourceforge download link is one of the slowest I think I've _ever_ seen, topping out at under 300 bytes per second, which is obviously unnacceptable. Seems to me you should at least be able to get this onto some of the shareware sites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: File size of download
Posted by: po
Date: February 07, 2002 11:09PM

maybe an 'installer-less' version should be available... something between one-click installation and trying to build it yourself?

Posted by: Deft
Date: February 07, 2002 11:40PM

I don't know, but I doubt very much you could crush gecko that small. Obviously, if you wanted a very small browser, you could not include any rendering engine, but that pretty much restricts you to using the IE, which doesn't really get you anywhere as it must be installed on the copmuter you wish to use.

Posted by: Bill
Date: February 08, 2002 03:50AM

The Off By One Web Browser 1.1 MB http://www.offbyone.com/

I've never had any trouble downloading from sourceforge.net myself generally averaging 5.6 K or better...

Posted by: oxygenius
Date: February 09, 2002 01:03PM

for german users:
k-meleon was included on one of the last cd-roms delivered with the PC-Welt - try these, if you cant get it.

or get down to that old, fucking stable bbs-systems around here - good download speed, and (for the ccs-base - ++49-(0)8801-2453 / v90 + x75) _very_ up-to-date filebases.

cu, w0lf.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.