General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
RP plays .rm but not .ram
Posted by: Klaartje
Date: February 08, 2002 12:35PM

Any bright ideas?
I got as far as getting my new K-Meleon to play .rm files, using RealPlayer. But it will not play .ram or .rmlive files. It asks me wether I want to save them. I'm pretty sure it must be possible to play them just like the .rm files. And my RealPlayer can't be the problem. It works just fine for files of these types if I acces them through Explorer. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Tnx in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RP plays .rm but not .ram
Posted by: Andres
Date: February 08, 2002 12:44PM

Can you specify an address of a non-playing *.ram? I could try to test it on my computer...

Date: February 08, 2002 12:58PM

*Any* .ram... I haven't been able to play a single one yet!
Try http://www.kinkfm.com/kinkfm/kink.ram ...on your system it probably works fine.

Date: February 08, 2002 01:06PM

In addition: I *can* hear this one...
rtsp://real3.veronica.nl/encoder/kink.rm

Is it the 'encoder' bit that does it? But what does that mean?

Tnx,

Posted by: Andres
Date: February 08, 2002 03:28PM

I checked that address. Everything works normal except that RealPlayer itself could not get connected (the file may be down or there may be a server problem).

So check your *.ram at

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/5781/
(Click on "the plot in real audio") That link definitely worked for me.

If the problem persists, I think, first check that all requirements as stated at

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/realaudio.php

are fulfilled. You should check carefully that the three required lines are present. (The problem may result from an incorrect entry in your prefs.js)

Secondly, you may try to reassociate RealPlayer with *.ram files from RP itself or from Windows configuration (e.g. Start - Settings - Folder Options - File Types).

Third, if the previous tips did not work, you may consider reinstalling Real Player.

Posted by: Oswald Glinkmeyer
Date: February 08, 2002 06:40PM

I'm experiencing the same thing.
http://www.npr.org/realmedia/news2a.ram

Can't get the Windows Media stream to work on the NPR site either. Both seem to want to be saved as a file.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 09, 2002 03:59AM

Got all of the above to play on My System.I don't know if this makes a difference but I set KM to inentify as MSIE 5.5 .

Date: February 11, 2002 09:22AM

Redid the steps mentioned to get RealPlayer to work, and hey presto, it works. I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time but I got it right in the end. Thanks, you guys, it's good to see that even stupid questions are answered in a friendly and patient way here :-)

Posted by: hattedjon
Date: April 01, 2002 08:24PM

I had the same problem, after following the instructions in the docs section, then I tried this from another thread:

Author: andres (---.lsn.estpak.ee)
Date: 01-14-02 06:01

Timoch,

It should play with KM still open. Maybe you should open your prefs.js from K-Meleon (Edit - Preferences) and see that the line is not broken (by pasting it could have well happened - the line must remain on one line!). It is probably better to use the line in post 2 here (not in post 1). I think there's also a chance that the line

user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "audio/x-pn-realaudio, audio/x-realaudio, application/vnd.rn-realmedia");

works better but, again, it should not be broken (this is for three real mime types).

Now ram and rm both play fine! I pasted the above in as an unbroken line (into edit/preferences/configs/prefs - at the bottom).

Cheers andres!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.