General discussion about K-Meleon 
New Sun Java Release
Posted by: Nick
Date: February 12, 2002 09:01AM
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Sun Java Release
Posted by: lotas
Date: February 12, 2002 10:51PM

This thing is one pain in the anal passage. Its pissing me off. it makes IE, netscape, Opera and now kmeleon take 2x - 5x times longer to load! it loads only when there is java on a site, but 75% of the time i have a java ad on my site! ahhh. Anonying much!
Lotas T Smartman
www.lotas-smartman.net
www.the-hairy-one.com

Posted by: Nick
Date: February 12, 2002 11:08PM

Just use KM then on windows - not surprised you have problems. Works OK here (KM only).

Nick

Posted by: Greg Bair
Date: February 13, 2002 08:39AM

Or, you could just do what I do, turn JAVA off in km. I have no need for JAVA, so JAVA must go! JAVA makes my 900mhz pc run like a 486!

Greg Bair

Posted by: Orphee
Date: February 13, 2002 10:59AM

Java sux. I always disable it, on all browsers and OS I'm using.

Posted by: sven
Date: February 16, 2002 09:37AM

Mind your language, gentlemen.

Java is great thing but you will only learn to appreciate it when doing cross-platform devlopment. What "sux" is using Java for tasks it should not be used - like stupid web-applets: linkchangers, animations and such. These things have given Java bad name. But Java applets (and apps, of course) are immensly useful for serious tasks like perfoming real-time calculations, providing graphs, statistics, maps, simulations or providing some useful services like data monitoring etc.

It's true that 95% of users never really need Java applets (which are there only to change link colour - how inventive) but that same 95% shouldn't be running around and telling everyone "Java sux". What "sux" is an attitude like this.

Posted by: po
Date: February 16, 2002 10:41AM

in other words, what 'sux' is that people are so proud of the fact that if you give 'em 2Mbps connections, they'll use 'em <a href="http://cyberatlas.internet.com/markets/broadband/article/0,,10099_974301,00.html">to watch TV.</a>

Posted by: Kidman
Date: February 19, 2002 11:51AM

Those problems with 1.4 are kind of strange. I download the 1.4 J2RE RC1 and it worked like the 1.3.0.1 one. The only problems I got are Opera doesn't seem to like it and the java.exe isn't set for system-wide use or not in the windows folder...it's sometimes annoying...
Strangely...since the 1.4 final release there is no such thing as J2RE 1.4 anymore, just the J2SE 1.4, which seems bigger and more like a SDK than a runtime enviroment. I don't know what the differences are, but the RC1 of the J2RE is working fone for me...try to find it at www.betanews.com.

Posted by: Norman
Date: February 20, 2002 01:42PM

I downloaded 1.4 last night. The only problem I have encountered, so far, is Sun's agreement page. Using KM the page would not move me to the download page. It simply refreshed each time I clicked "accept." Is this a problem with KM or Sun?
NTP

Posted by: Kidman
Date: February 21, 2002 08:43AM

That problem was mentioned before seems like a problem by Sun, but I could pass the agreement page, when I downloaded the J2RE 1.4 RC1...strange...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.