General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Bookmark oddness.
Posted by: Chris
Date: February 17, 2002 01:04PM

Not sure if this is a bug or not, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this happen with their bookmarks.

I organized the bookmarks using Netscape's 4.7 editor, that went fine. Then I load up K-Meleon to go back to browsing, and some of the bookmarks look like they're "greyed out", as in, not clickable. I can click on the dropdown and edit, and open the links from there, but it doesn't seem to want to work off of the toolbar. I've tried deleting them and putting them back in, no dice there. All the new bookmarks I try to save are greyed out for some reason.

Has anyone else see this behaviour? I didn't change any prefs on either browser, so this is just puzzling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmark oddness.
Posted by: Leaky Dog
Date: February 19, 2002 10:22AM

Not puzzling at all, it's in the documentation. Bookmarks are limited in the current version of KM to (I think 1,024).

What I'd suggest is a bookmark manager , there are many of them. That or take certain sections of your bookmarks out and save them as HTML files and access them via shortcuts.

Personally I contend with 2, 068 bookmarks. Even Netscape (4.x) had difficulty dealing with this, so I took sections out and made seperate HTML pages and linked to them. I do all my bookmark editing in my copy of Netscape. Seems to be easier this way though hopefully this will change in future releases.

Lastly, grab a copy of AM-Deadlink and audit your bookmarks. I can almost guarantee you will see your bookmark list shrink a bit.
(http://www.aignes.net/products.htm)

Regards,

-LD

Posted by: Chris
Date: February 21, 2002 10:31AM

Thank you for the reply and advice. I think what was throwing me off is that the bookmarks were displaying, they just weren't clicking.

I'm actually surprised how fast bookmarks can accumulate. Oh well, time to audit them down. Hopefully the limit will be pushed up in the next release. (:

Thanks again,
Chris.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 21, 2002 12:05PM

Chris,

The bookmarks limit will be changed in the next release.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.