General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Does not install on Win95 machine
Posted by: kks bisht
Date: February 25, 2002 01:51PM

Hi friends,
I've successfully installed K-Meleon on one of my Win98 machines and it is working wonderfully (except one minor problem, which I'll post later). But, when I try to install it on a machine with Win95, the installation ends with the following error message :

Error Starting Program
The K-MELEON.EXE file is linked to missing export MFC42DLL:6491
OK

I checked with Win98 machine and MFC42.DLL and othe MFC42.. files are in Windows\System folder and so are they on the same location on Win95 machine, too. Can anyone please offer any help?
Thanks in advance and regards.
KKS Bisht

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does not install on Win95 machine
Posted by: Al.
Date: February 26, 2002 05:40AM

You will need an updated version of MFC42.dll, just copy the one across from Win98 to your Win95 box.
Of course you will also need to register the DLL with the registry, which is necessary when updating system files such as these. The most common method is to drop to the command line and use the RegSvr32 command, which will work just fine, however if your not adept or knowledgable of this command and how to use it, you may wish to try the following program, which will make it easier for you to register and deregister OCX and COM dlls:

Register Control
http://www.codeproject.com/tools/registercontrol.asp

Using it is pretty straightforward, just browse to the dll, and then select register.
Hope it helps.

Date: February 27, 2002 02:18PM

Hi Al,
Thanks a lot. But, please tell me whether using updated version will not affect my earlier installed programs. What if they are renderd unoperative or start behaving in a freak manner or crash or create a system crash? How to recover from such a mess? What about other MFC42... files? Do I've to update them also?
Regards.

Date: February 28, 2002 12:50AM

Well you can't be too sure of that until things do start to go wrong. If that's the case, you may have to use Register Control to deregister the *newer* version of MFC42.dll, and revert back to the original file.
However, before performing such a drastic action, what you could do is use a program such as Dependency Walker, and check out which programs may utilise MFC42.dll before registering the newer version with Register Control. With Dependency Walker, you just locate the program's executable (.exe) with it, and Dependency Walker will draw up a hierachial tree of all linked dependencies, so you can see at a glance if any other installed programs rely upon MFC42.dll.

Dependency Walker can be downloaded from here:
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Posted by: ()
Date: March 01, 2002 06:42AM

Umm this is silly that K-Meleon doesnt work in Windows 95 without patching some Win98 DLL files.. thats uncalled for.

Posted by: po
Date: March 01, 2002 09:22AM

well, ya want those nifty toolbars, dontcha? smiling smiley

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 01, 2002 12:58PM

Technically, they are not Windows98 files, they are files for Internet Explorer.
smiling smiley
Yes, it's a hassle but that's the Microsoft way and on Windows, we don't have much control over what they do.

Andrew

Date: March 02, 2002 03:30AM

>Umm this is silly that K-Meleon doesnt work in Windows 95 without patching >some Win98 DLL files.. thats uncalled for.

Umm, your not actually "patching" any Windows98 files, you are simply updating existing files (in Windows95). MFC42.dll already exists there, it just needs to be updated to a *newer* version.

Posted by: sven
Date: March 02, 2002 08:00AM

*sigh*

Every once in a while there pops up some wiseguy, like () who tells that it's so silly that any given piece of sowtware doesn't run out-of-box on OS which is about 5(osr2) to 7(vanilla) years old. W95 is a disaster. You need to patch it endlessly to get anything descent work on it nowadays. Blame MS, not K-M for this mess. But of course you won't blame MS because they're such a nice company who gave you such a good OS. Must be the 3rd party developers who're stupid. Yeah.

Date: March 02, 2002 11:20AM

Hi friends,
Peace! I beg all of you.
Dear Andrews, as you have mentioned that the required files are Internet Explorer files. But are you sure that copying them from Win98 system will not cause any harm?
Regards.
kks bisht

Posted by: Nick
Date: March 02, 2002 11:50AM

No it shouldn't. Each DLL of the same file name but different date/version (if designed correctly) will (read here 'should') be backward compatible. All you will be doing is updating the file.

Of course, nobody knows what M$ get up to, so maybe it will break something... but if that's the case, it's M$'s fault on using a bad design methodology.

Nick

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 02, 2002 02:54PM

KKS,

This is what other people have done and no one has reported any problems. What I would do is make a back-up copy of your existing files in case you have any problems.

Andrew

Posted by: ()
Date: March 03, 2002 02:05AM

Cant you include that .dll file in a newer version of K-Meleon so we dont have to patch it if we are using Windows 95? That would be one way to help compatability.

The reason I ask this is because I have someone with an old ass computer that is too slow for Windows 98 and has to use Windows 95. He is not technical in anyway and I suggested K-Meleon to him because its a much smaller footprint than IE5 and since he hates Microsoft, that helps as well smiling smiley

Just include the .dll with the newer version of K-Meleon and make life easier for all of us. Having K-Meleon rely on bits and pieces of Interent Explorer defeats the cause doesnt it? smiling smiley

Posted by: Nick
Date: March 03, 2002 10:27AM

Ummm, it isn't an IE file, it is a M$ C++ runtime library:

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q259403">Microsoft link here</a>

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q184799">and the problem here</a>

Nick

Posted by: TheDude
Date: March 05, 2002 02:31AM

Well why don't ya install win98 on the win95 machine,,better yet get windows 2000 or windowsXP,,I did'nt know anyone even would think of running win95 anymore,,,get with the system man/Gal,,,you don't expect any new programs to actually run on that old junk anyway do ya..Get real!

Posted by: Lucas
Date: March 05, 2002 08:27PM

I'm running Win95 also for the same reason as () his friend (or whatever)...
Don't tell me what system I have to run...

And the reason that K-M doesn't come with that DLL, is to keep the download small, and I like to keep it that way!!!!
Maybe offer two downloads, but there MUST be also a small-as-possible one...

Posted by: David
Date: March 07, 2002 01:21AM

Win98 is almost as "sleek" <snicker> as Win95 when tweaked with either 98 Lite (shareware; http://www.98lite.net/) or Revenge of Mozilla (orphan freeware; http://snoopy81.ifrance.com/snoopy81/ROM2.htm).

Either one is best installed over a fresh new load of the OS (and ROM absolutely must be so intalled).

These patch suites replace the rather porcine Win98 desktop with the smaller and faster one from Win95. You lose the web page desktop integration, and IE disappears altogether (proving nicely that Windoze without IE is ~not~ broken). You gain most of the Win98 updates, including USB that actually works.

Such a setup works just fine with KM, and could also be said to mate well with the spirit of KM (as least as well as Windoze ever could).

Posted by: Harvey Maron
Date: March 07, 2002 02:29AM

I am running Win95 on a Pentium 2 266.
IE 5.5, NS 6.2 and KM all run flawlessly with no modifications.

Posted by: Torbjørn Vagstein
Date: March 11, 2002 07:00PM

Copying a new mfc42.dll didn't help, but installing the complete package from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q259403

worked beautifully.

K-Meleon now running on all my Windows boxes, including this P-75 (Win95 org., 40 MB RAM).
So far the only problem appears to be that I have to set the browsers UA string to Netscape in order to use my bank.

Tobben

Date: March 12, 2002 01:17PM

Hi Friends,
Thanks for all the responses.
Dear TheDude, the reason that there are machines with Win95 still hanging around is that they are old machines. Hardware updates are almost impossible, unless you own a junk yard and junk yard has enough goodies. The idea of installing Win(latest) is ..., choose a term for it yourself. Further, I dont need this machine to run any new applications. This machine works fine with Win95 and Office 97 and I that is all I want. I wantto use KM becayse it is very fast (thanks to developers) compared to IE.
Regards.
kks bisht

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.