General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Java Plugin
Posted by: mark
Date: March 04, 2002 06:47PM

I'm a real newbie at this. I don't know how to get Java applets to appear correctly. I downloaded the file j2re-1_3_1_02-win.exe from java.sun.com. Installed it, but still nothing changed. I read in other forums that I would need to set the browser identification to Netscape 6. But I can't seem to find this option. Could someone help me out on the correct procedures? Thanks!

mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Java Plugin
Posted by: Andres
Date: March 04, 2002 07:04PM

You can find the Java panel in your computer's Control Panel after Java is installed. Actually, I think, they have the option of choosing the browser at the installation.

You should first try just finding and copying the NPJava*.dll files to the K-Meleon\Plugins directory if you haven't done so already. Then check if things work.

Posted by: Lucas
Date: March 04, 2002 10:54PM

Not copy those things!
I've read in this forum that things really slow down then...

The option to change the indentification of the browser:
Edit --> Preferences --> Privacy --> Identify browser as.

If you type in the adressbar: "about:plugins" (w/o the quotes), you can see if K-M finds your JRE.

If not, something is wrong... but I don't know what for sure...

Posted by: Andres
Date: March 05, 2002 11:56AM

Lucas,

I have copied those Java dll files there and back and nothing bad happened. Java problems mentioned in this forum are mainly related to incompatibilities between MS Java and Sun Java. (Some sites are just made for MS.)

Presently I am using Java from its own directory, not from K-M\plugins but if K-M cannot find Java otherwise - e.g. if Java has been installed for IE and not for Netscape, copying the files may be helpful.

Posted by: gil
Date: March 05, 2002 05:11PM

I downloaded Sun's installation stuff to K-M/plugins, and ran the install from there. It works just fine, thanks. The only concession I've made to ease plugins is to put a dummy netscape.exe file in the K-M directory, which certainly enabled me to install Shockwave, but I don't know if its presence helped the Java installation.

Posted by: mark
Date: March 06, 2002 11:46AM

Thanks guys! I just went to the control panel then clicked Netscape 6 and it worked fine. I didn't need to copy the dll's anymore. =)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.