General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wow!
Posted by: pat
Date: March 09, 2002 03:44AM

I'm not a developer and can't be any help here, but I just want to comment. I downloaded K-Meleon tonight and am so impressed so far. I really just wanted it for one particular site where IE wasn't working well and I having Netscape 6.2 running with everything else I need to run is like having an elephant lumbering around the desktop. However, if this turns out to be as stable as it is fast and easy to use, I'm going to use it for everything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wow!
Posted by: Nomad
Date: March 09, 2002 04:45PM

K-Meleon is not a good browser. But it works, it doesn't pester my drive, it's small, and it's not (c) M$. And since it works, I use it. Exclusively.

+++NoMaD

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 09, 2002 06:29PM

What do you mean it's not a good browser??
What don't you like about it?

Andrew

Posted by: Julian
Date: March 12, 2002 09:53AM

Despite the lack of certain features - I guess quite a lot of them can be seen in the next release - KM is the browser I use most along with Opera 6. Took me a small while to get used to it since it's more similar to IE (interface-wise) but loads much faster than Mozilla and is more stable than IE6&NS4.x (at least on my system). It fulfills 95% of my browser needs, I'm really anticipating 0.7

J.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: March 23, 2002 07:05PM

I would not say that K-M is a good browser either... rather that it is excellent. Not perfect, of course. But I use it almost exclusively. Never Intrusive Exploiter winking smiley
The newest beta version of Opera is something to emulate, though. If it weren't for its fat toolbars and ucky ads, it would be No.1 over all.

Date: March 23, 2002 08:22PM

Arual,

What do you like about Opera that we should be doing with K-Meleon?

Andrew

Posted by: Quake
Date: March 23, 2002 08:46PM

Andrew,
Can you make a skin compatible to Windows XP?

thanks

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: March 23, 2002 08:51PM

I am also a long time user of Opera,I purchased it a few years ago and updated as new versions became available. Frankly,the only advantage Opera has over K-Meleon ,IMHO,is it's ability to handle Plugins. I am sure that this will be,or should be,a priority in the development of K-Meleon. I am not sure if there is a speed difference in the two Browsers but K-Keleon definately does a much better job of displaying Web Pages.I also like the fact that I can drag everything into one Tool Bar at the top of the Browser,you can't do that with Opera.A Mail Client would be nice .

Date: March 23, 2002 09:14PM

Andrew G,

Which plugins in particular are you having support issues with or would like to see supported? I think we've gotten most of them to work with K-Meleon but I know it's not always the most straightforward thing, mainly do to how the plugin providers handle browser identification.

Andrew

Posted by: Len
Date: March 23, 2002 10:55PM

The only thing that I have used opera for lately is to get the plugins to put in k-meleon. The shockwave player won't recognise k-meleon, but if you just get the initial plugin from opera -- put it in your k-meleon plugins and go to a shockwave player site it will complete the installation. IMHO k-meleon works much better than opera and is faster, at least faster on my machine on the same sites. Opera keeps trying to dowload site links for crying out loud and won't let me get my hotmail. What surprised me is that k-meleon works faster on my hotmail than IE. I have had lots of problems with the MSN site with other browsers, not one bit of trouble with k-meleon....so far.

Posted by: Ominx
Date: March 24, 2002 02:33AM

I have noticed plugin developers changing their installation setups and think more will continue to do so with Moz 1 closing in. Shockwave 6 for example, tries to detect browsers, but also allows the user to choose the chosen plugin folder. K-Meleon has never presented a problem with plugins for me, and I have never had to fool an installation with a fake netscape.exe or the use or opera.

Ominx

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: March 24, 2002 04:52AM

Andrew;
Yes,I have gotten most of them to work by editing Pref.J etc.but some people I know can't be bothered to fiddle around in their computer in order to get plugins to work and will quickly drop the Browser, that is what I am concerded about,not for myself.

I notice that Ominx claims He has never had a plugin problem with K- Meleon and would like to know how he would get Real Player,Winamp and Windows Media Player etc to work without having to edit pref.j or copy files into KM plugins folder, maybe He does not use these pluging but many people do and that is definately a problem. Let us try to solve these little problems and not pretend that everything is OK.

K-Meleon is a good Browser but needs a little work,that's all.

Posted by: Ominx
Date: March 24, 2002 05:35AM

Yea I agree the plugin process could be a little easier for the novice user. I'm just not sure how the developers could accomplish this considering third-party plugins aren't exactly designed with K-Meleon in mind. Then again I guess that's why I'm not a developer.

Ominx

Posted by: Andres
Date: March 24, 2002 02:02PM

About 30% of the dozens or even hundreds of plugins available for Netscape do not work perfectly or fail to work with K-M. However, most of the popular plugins do all right. E.g. Windows Media Player refuses to play some embedded files, but that also happens in Opera. RealPlayer requires some editing of prefs.js. Still, Flash, Shockwave and QuickTime are quite good with K-Meleon. I've never had the Shockwave installation problem.

I've never managed to get Beatnik to install with K-M. Nevertheless, I have got about 40 different plugins installed for K-M (just for experimenting) and they mostly work fine.

One of the main minuses, which often causes K-Meleon to freeze, is the Java incompatibility. Sun's Java just cannot play everything made for MS Java, and if this happens, K-M just freezes and requires restart. This does not happen always but has occurred with every single version of Sun's Java I've tried.

I think that very many problems or difficulties could be cured by adding file type support for K-Meleon. Some other features that could be taken from Opera are the quick preferences; very good bookmark support; go button; zoom box; duplicate frame command and built-in Google search box in the main address bar. It would be perfect if K-Meleon had as customizable preferences as Opera (prefs.js is sometimes just a pain in the a*** to edit) - ideally that would cover the whole range of Mozilla prefs from a GUI. Opera has still got some rendering problems and JavaScript problems, which actually makes K-Meleon a browser with a greater potential.

Posted by: Nick
Date: March 24, 2002 02:33PM

But on this subject, surely the idea behind K-Meleon is that it designed to be a browser... nothing more, nothing less.

Start to build in all the whistles and bells, options that Opera/IE has, you end up with another Opera/IE browser.

Keep K-Meleon on track, please. I love it the way it is; small fast, and 'clean'. If a site has java that doesn't work, tough luck; that is a web design problem, not K-Meleon/Sun's fault who code to the standards.

Nick

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: March 27, 2002 04:13PM

I agree that a few of the "problems" with browsers, including K-M, are actually the web site's "design" following a non-standard. MS's "JAVA" (Virtual Machine???) is not Java because it does not follow Sun's standard - Sun being the creator of Java. Send complaints to the webmaster.

Posted by: Rick Zehr
Date: March 27, 2002 04:23PM

Top on my wish-list is a full history of pages visited. It's the one reason I went back to Opera recently - just too useful to not have the feature.

Posted by: ignorantoldman
Date: March 31, 2002 09:12PM

I really love this browser ..... but ... the one thing I really wanted that Opera has (and no other browser that I am aware of ) is the ability to save and use multiple windows within itself (as opposed to opening new windows). Yours comes close with the feature that allows a default site for a second window.
hey! you asked!!! smiling smiley
great work here guys

Posted by: Al.
Date: March 31, 2002 09:39PM

Oh no, not "tabs" again!

Posted by: mike
Date: March 31, 2002 09:50PM

" tabs, tabs, tabs, tabs, " lol

Posted by: Ryan
Date: April 01, 2002 04:45PM

Yeah, an MDI would be pretty cool, and if you're worried about added weight to the browser, it would give back more than it takes, it wouldn't clutter your taskbar, it would use less memory, it would use less CPU time, and you could switch documents faster.

I think out of all of Opera's features, that is the most useful one, I'd really like to see it duplicated in K-Meleon.

Also, the underlying Gecko engine is a bit dated (from Mozilla 0.95), Mozilla 1.0 should be out soon, I'd like to see a K-Meleon based on that, they've improved it significantly.

Also possibly a GUI skin switcher in the preferences menu, and the required newer MFC42.dll for Windows NT/95/98 users.

Date: April 02, 2002 06:30AM

MDI/Tabs. The developers have already stated they will not be implementing them, so how many more times is this subject going to be rehashed?
If you're an ex-Opera user, you have to get over this fixation that you have with trying to make K-Meleon more like it. Forget everything you know (clear your mind), take a holiday and a chill-pill, then get back to K-Meleon, and appreciate it for what it isn't: a bloated behemoth like Internet Explorer, a memory hogging, slow loading over-skinned browser like Mozilla/Netscape 6, or a featuritus suffering, cluttered interface and poor-page rendering browser like Opera.
Get the idea?

Date: April 02, 2002 11:14AM

Al,

To be fair, the developers have said that they are not going to code for tabs. That doesn't mean some other brave soul couldn't do that although I can't see it being an easy job in any way. Maybe I need to add that to the FAQ. It sure is one of the most frequently asked here!

Andrew

Posted by: The Spirit that Lives WIthin
Date: April 02, 2002 03:20PM

"Forget everything you know (clear your mind), take a holiday and a chill-pill, then get back to K-Meleon, and appreciate it for what it isn't: a bloated behemoth like Internet Explorer, a memory hogging, slow loading over-skinned browser like Mozilla/Netscape 6, or a featuritus suffering, cluttered interface and poor-page rendering browser like Opera."

And appreciate K-Meleon for what it is: OLD.

At least we know they have to release a new version when moz 1.0 comes out. Don't they?

Date: April 02, 2002 09:31PM

Old? Five months is a poor definition of old.

Date: April 02, 2002 09:40PM

>To be fair, the developers have said that they are not going to code for tabs. That doesn't mean some other brave soul couldn't do that although I can't see it being an easy job in any way. Maybe I need to add that to the FAQ. It sure is one of the most frequently asked here!

Ummm, yeah it definately qualifies as a FAQ. Of course I agree; if some brave soul wants to code them, then they should, however the major jist of these frequent postings regarding tabs is, nobody wants to take on the task, they just want the developers to code them, or else!!!! (all hell breaks loose, pandemonium ensures, they GO BACK TO OPERA!!!!) ;-)
Sorry for sounding so silly, however it is all starting to border on looney tunes unfortunately. :-)

Date: April 03, 2002 12:55AM

>Sorry for sounding so silly, however it is all starting to border on looney tunes unfortunately. :-)

Definately a case of one two many "Ugh! Development has stopped!" & "I want tabs" postings for me. :-)

Posted by: aLCHEMY
Date: April 03, 2002 01:34AM

I've got the latest version of Opera, but am refusing to use it because of the horrible and HUGE ads flashing in my face! What a horrible violation of one's space and psyche! Furthermore, they DON'T need to charge $40 for a browser that's still quite buggy! So now it's just sitting dormant on my desktop...

I'm pleased for K-Meleon ... if some of these bugs can be cleared up ... and I can figure out an easy way to change the skin so that it doesn't look like IE! smiling smiley I do not know how to implement a different skin or throbber -- once it's 'unzipped'.

I'm not computer savvy, so I don't know how to deal with a lot of this technical stuff, but I'm trying my best to figure it all out.

Anyway, I'm pleased to have 'stumbled' upon KM. smiling smiley

Thank you.

PS: What eMail clients are most compatible w/KM ... or does it matter?

Posted by: po
Date: April 03, 2002 02:55AM

aside from passing URLs back and forth once in a while, browsers and mail clients don't have all that much to do with each other... the impression that they do is kind of an illusion that probably stems from the 'web package' concept of all-in-one browser-mail-news thinger... but it certainly doesn't have to work that way. find a mail program you're comfortable with... one that does what you want it to do.

Posted by: aLCHEMY
Date: April 03, 2002 05:25AM

I've been using Pegasus eMail client and, over all, it seems to be just fine ... and I do understand what you're saying about the eMail/browser 'all-in-one' package, but for a long time, I've used one separate from the other. I just wondered if one eMail client was more 'compatible' w/KM than others, etc.

Thank you. smiling smiley

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.