General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wow!
Posted by: Ed Mack
Date: April 03, 2002 03:40PM

I love K-Meleon, just the same plugins probs. I don't know about the prewfs.js file and what can be done with it, so I will just leave it alone. I just want shift and a click to open new windows, and maybe one or two other things. But, I'm here to stay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Untimely Source
Date: April 03, 2002 05:13PM

If I'm not mistaken, K-Meleon .6 is based on moz .9.5. That's four major milestones between then and now, with drastic improvements most notable for .9.8, 2 1/2 months ago (when Kmeleon .7 SHOULD have been released). A lot of mozilla crashers, slowdowns, and general I-wish-it-were-better-than-this bugs were all drastically improved during that time.

No, 5 months is not long to wait from one stable version to the next, with additional features being the only major change. It's an eternity when you compare Kmeleon .6 and moz .9.8 or .9.9 side by side.

I'm one of those die-hard Netscape 4.07 users that believes mail clients aren't why I use a browser (Eudora handles that nicely). But I finally grew sick of the delays and crashing, and slowly began using IE 5.5 more often until I was rarely ever running NS4. Then Kmeleon .5 came along (the first version that was stable enough to actually use for a day) and I began working that in a little. I enjoyed the upgrade to .6, but K-Meleon just wasn't THERE yet. The thing was, most of the issues I had with K-Meleon were mozilla problems, although to a lesser degree (new page opening speed, memory usage, etc).

When mozilla .9.8 came out and used native widgets in Windows, I gave it a shot, and it was lightyears faster than it used to be. Still not as fast as K-Meleon, to be sure, but far more usable. At that point, I dropped my IE6 and K-Meleon usage entirely and made moz my default browser (which to that point was STILL NS4 smiling smiley).

I've kept track of K-Meleon because I always figured it was my long-term browser. So yes, I keep waiting.... and waiting.

Compare K-Meleon .6 to mozilla .9.9 (and soon to be RC1), and you might just see how old it feels. I've always felt outspoken about this issue simply because it's all a matter of incorporating the newest version of mozilla into the browser (who cares about all the extra features for now, like history, etc)... give us what we can have in the shortest amount of time for the lowest amount of cost.

Now, having said all that, I can completely understand the developer perspective right now. They missed the .9.8 boat and the .9.9 ferry is starting to pull away. Knowing as they do that 1.0 is right around the corner and may include internal connection changes, it would be a lot easier to simply wait until the mozilla core has stablized (1.0 final), and THEN incorporate it. Makes sense, but the waiting sucks. smiling smiley

Of course, now I'm addicted to tabs... it's helped me organize my web-surfing habits immensely (Different windows hold different topics and all tabs open in those windows relate to those topics). I used to have up to 40 windows open at a time. Now, it's never more than 6 or 7 even though I still have the same # of tabs. At this point, I'm not sure I could go back.

But one thing is sure... I like to pass out download links for K-Meleon. It impresses everyone with its blinding speed. So good luck, guys, and get that .7 out already. winking smiley

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: April 04, 2002 05:59AM

From 40 open windows down to 6 or 7?. I guess the novelty is wearing off. I'm back to one.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.