General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Google Toolbar
Posted by: Ashibaka
Date: March 09, 2002 07:22PM

If you could get one of these on K-Meleon, I'd switch over (currently using Opera). What's the stance on IE-type toolbar plugins?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Google Toolbar
Date: March 09, 2002 07:23PM

Ooops, this should go in Improvement Requests.

Hence my nickname.

Date: March 09, 2002 07:23PM

Ooops, this should go in Improvement Requests.

Hence my nickname.

Posted by: Ian
Date: March 13, 2002 03:26AM

Try CRTL-G or Go->Search

Personally, I like it better then the Google bar because I don't have to use the mouse. Just CRTL-G, type in the search and press enter. It would be handy to have the I Feel Lucky and Search Site buttons in the popup, but as noted, this is the wrong place for suggestions. (-:

Posted by: andy
Date: March 18, 2002 03:21AM

With IE, I would type 'g <query>' in the address bar, but Ctrl-G works better.

It would be nice to be able to use Backspace and Alt-Left, Alt-Right for Forward and Backward, like in IE, and Shift-Space to go up a page.

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: March 18, 2002 09:39AM

>It would be nice to be able to use Backspace and Alt-Left, >Alt-Right for Forward and Backward, like in IE, and
>Shift-Space to go up a page.

That one's easy enough to answer, even for me. Look under Edit=> Preferences=> Configs=> Accelerators. You can have any shortcut you want.

Posted by: Katalyst
Date: March 23, 2002 07:57AM

Yes and No,

The problem with that solution is, at least concerning backspace, is that it stops backspace working in edit fields of html forms, so unless your a perfect typer, its no good. IE turns off the previous page function of backspace if it's in an edit field.

I too like the backspace key for going back to the previous page, and it would be nice to see it as standard, as well as IEs other keyboard shortcuts

Posted by: Len
Date: March 23, 2002 11:08PM

I would like to see the control-L for bringing up the address bar. This shortcut adding thing discussed arouses my curiousity. How do you add a short cut this way? What would the syntax be?

Posted by: po
Date: March 25, 2002 06:35AM

you modify the accel.cfg file in your profiles directory... the syntax is explained in the comments within the file.

Date: March 26, 2002 04:49AM

Not to seem ignorant; but, what would you call the address bar for it to work? Couldn't you also make a button just to link to your present email and not have one actually in k-meleon? Email that is.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 26, 2002 05:57AM

Len,

The whole list of command IDs is here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/commandid.php

The one you want is:

ID_SELECT_URL

Andrew

Posted by: Tom
Date: March 31, 2002 06:39AM

Couldn't you make a custom toolbar with the included tools that functions like the Google toolbar, at least to an extent? I just downloaded the browser and haven't customized it yet, so I don't know.

Date: March 31, 2002 07:47AM

the custom toolbars don't support input fields (yet?), just buttons (and menus).

the new macro scripting in the latest beta looks like it will make the URL field useful for many other purposes, but it still probably won't be EXACTLY like using a google toolbar. better, though, for my purposes... economizes on screen space. smiling smiley

Date: March 31, 2002 09:19AM

Thanks Andrew, I will check it out and see what I can do with it. winking smiley

Posted by: Dan
Date: April 15, 2002 11:38AM

I noticed this discussion and it helped out with some useful tips/features . thanks for that but I thought I'd just mnetion there is already a project underway for a google toolbar for mozilla. Umm http://googlebar.mozdev.org is where it lives IIRC.

Seems pretty pointless to duplicate effort coz I'm assuming if/when they get a fully functioning set up (and apparently 0.45 - the latest version supports most of the base features of the IE Google toolbar) it shouldn't be that difficult to integrate into KM??

Or am I way off base.

In the meantime Ctrl-G is excellent.

But for the history and Get-Right intergration I'm complete IE free.

Dan.

Date: April 15, 2002 11:43PM

well, an xul/js 'googlebar' is a little bit different than doing something with the actual k-meleon/native-windoze interface, but some people might like that, i guess...

Posted by: Sesh
Date: April 16, 2002 02:57AM

Here is a small macro that I use with kmeleon .6 to have the same functionality as google toolbar, search the current selected text using google.

#search google.com for currently selected text
search_text_google{
menu=Search &Google
open(javascript:var current=location.href;s=document.getSelection();for(i=0;i<frames.length;i++){s=frames.document.getSelection();if(s)break;}if(!s)void(s=prompt('Search in deja for:',''));if(s){open('http://www.google.com/search?q='+escape(s)+'&btnG=Google+Search','Search','width=700,height=400,scrollbars=yes,resizeable=yes');self.location=current;});
}

I mapped this to document pop up like this

&Search{
macros(search_text_site)
}

DocumentPopup {
:&Search
}

I did a bunch of macros like this to search current site , for current selected word, send current selected text as email content etc. etc. I think Andrew asked me to document it to put it on kmeleon and I did, I don't know where it is now.

either way if people are interested I can post it on the resource section.

thanks
-Sesh

Date: April 16, 2002 03:44AM

Sesh,

I dropped the ball on that. I got about half of it ready for posting but I got tied up with some other projects. Have you had a chance to look at the macro structure for the next release? I'm not sure how much that will change what you've done so far.

Andrew

Posted by: ggallin13
Date: April 16, 2002 04:11AM

Sesh --

I can't get you rmacro to work. I copied it and pasted the "#" part under macros and the "&" part under menus. Is that correct? It is a fantastic idea, by the way. Now when text is highlighted I get "search" as an option but that's it, nothing happens.

Thanks for your help and for all your work on k-meleon in general...

Date: April 16, 2002 04:32AM

Try this:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/searchmacro.php

This is sesh's doc on advanced searching.

Date: April 16, 2002 05:01AM

I copied everything as directed and still no go. "Document Pop-up" refers to the right-click menu, does it not?

Date: April 16, 2002 05:03AM

Yes, that is correct.

Date: April 16, 2002 05:17AM

> Have you had a chance to look at the macro structure for the next release?
> I'm not sure how much that will change what you've done so far.

currently, i think the only thing you would need to change is end the lines with ';' (semicolon). i can't help with this macro, being javascript-ignorant, but the good news with the new macro plugin is that all of this stuff can be done _without_ having to have javascript enabled...

Date: April 16, 2002 05:33AM

Po,

I'm still reviewing your toolbar docs. I'm not sure if I'll get that up this week. I'm heading out of town in a couple of days. That's going to new a few small revisions too. Jeff's added a few new things to the toolbar options.

Andrew

Date: April 16, 2002 06:40AM

yeah, i heard... the irony of the timing was perfect. winking smiley

might as well wait till things are finalized, then...

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: April 16, 2002 04:35PM

On that page (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/searchmacro.php), the portion ":&Search" seems to have two problems: the "&S" is already used by Stop (no biggy I suppose) and the preceding ":" causes my KM to crash.

Other than that, it doesn't seem to work anyway; no searching. I tried the one that is supposed to search Google on the highlighted text - search_text_google.

Date: April 16, 2002 06:37PM

Ok folks,
I just sent an email attachment with most of the macros that I use to kmeleon resource mailing list, so possiblly it will be on the resource section too.
I have also uploaded to kmeleon yahoo group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kmeleon/files/AdvancedMacros.rtf .

thanks
-Sesh

Date: April 16, 2002 06:40PM

Hi Andrew
Would it possible to update the docs/searchmacro with this information.
thanks
-Sesh

Date: April 16, 2002 07:58PM

Sesh,

Will do as soon as I can.

Andrew

Date: April 18, 2002 12:35AM

SWEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The macros that were sent to the files section work great! I have officially removed IE from my machine(I used IEradicator)! At last!

These macros obviate the need for a Google toolbar, IMHO. Thanks again!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.