General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
dead lizard
Posted by: Mike
Date: March 19, 2002 11:14AM

It's been nearly a month since I've checked the forum and still no new updates on KM. Pathetic, considering when I left that all that was left to do was wait for the 0.98 mozilla release. Seems we're a bit overdue. This is why the general public avoids OSS in the first place. Hopefully we'll see an offering soon, or else I'll have to suffer the larger footprint of a bigger lizard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dead lizard
Posted by: D.Rider
Date: March 19, 2002 01:48PM

Actually, I find that KM support is alive. I have been using it for a few months now and have been reading the support as provided by the forums, as well as through the Resources and Documentation links. Actual source updates may have been last done several months ago, but hardly considered "pathetic". Compare to the big lizards and I think you will see that things are about equal. On another note, even if you don't use KM, why would you rest all of your browser needs on a single browser, as none do everything perfectly well. I still use the other big lizards, but find most general browsing (home or office) can be done faster with little KM. I am generally pleased with it but not 100% satisfied, and I can say that about any other lizard as well.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 19, 2002 02:00PM

Mike,

I can understand that you don't see a lot going on here. Development has been ongoing since the last release and we are up-to-date with the latest Mozilla codebase. I would just add, as D. Rider noted, that we try to provide support through the forums. I can tell you that dealing with Mozilla or IE, you're probably not going to hear back from anyone about your problems.

Andrew

Date: March 19, 2002 08:27PM

I didn't mean to necessarily thrash the KM browser. Is is compact and serves many needs. I will say Mozilla has come a long way and CAN do everything I need a browser to do (minus visiting certain Micro$oft sponsored sites that I could do without anyway). Needless to say Internet Exploder never opens on my machine. I'm ust really anxious to get a new version of KM given a lot of its bugs likely have disappeared since Mozilla 0.94.

Posted by: Al.
Date: March 19, 2002 09:13PM

Mike,
The latest beta: 0.6.5 build 44, I can reassure you, is built upon Gecko 0.9.9, so it is up-to-date in that respect, so all that has to really be done now is, bugfixing and feature-adding. So don't sweat it, progress may appear slow however it is still ongoing.
Still, it may very well be a question of a few more weeks before the final release of the new version.

Posted by: dee
Date: March 20, 2002 05:11AM

great to know that km is alive and well.
keep up the good work!

Date: March 20, 2002 06:05AM

Is there any way to get nightly builds as with the Mozillla development? I've been beta testing that one since 0.6, and wouldn't mind testing KM.

Posted by: DJ
Date: March 20, 2002 11:36AM
Posted by: ThatDude
Date: March 30, 2002 02:28AM

Well i would'nt consider it surfering,,as it is now Kmeleon uses more memory footprint than the larger lizards,,thats all i'm waiting on is to see if the next release will use less memory,,or I will be outa here for good,,certainly would'nt want to wait around for another release,,hehe,,probably be somewhere around 2004..LOL

Posted by: Len
Date: March 30, 2002 08:21AM

Just out of curiousity I loaded the new mozilla. It didn't stay long. Hogged a tremendous amount of cpu cycles and was just a couple k over k-meleon in memory usage (Using Windows XP home Edition) about the same as IE 6. Tried rebooting and even reinstalled it with the same results. I have a couple browsers open and do file downloads and put the files in categorized files while surfing, along with a text file describing the apps features ( have had too many that I forgot what they were ) trying to do this with mozilla was not very pleasant. Slowed my machine way down (256MB of RAM with a 900 AMD) never had an app hog so much. I am looking forward to the new version of k-meleon to see what features have been added, I am totally satisfied with it as it is. Have had very few problems, most have been bad code on the web site. winking smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.