General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Testing the new forum
Posted by: Jeff
Date: March 21, 2002 11:58PM

Just a test post.

I've updated the phorum backend to fix some bugs and add a few nice features (sorting by most recent post, global search)

Let me know if you notice any problems.

-- Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Testing the new forum
Posted by: po
Date: March 22, 2002 12:18AM

yay! global search with an interface you can't miss!

boo! my preference for fixed-pitch font is being overridden (by style sheet, i'm assuming, but i haven't really looked) and i hate serifs!

that's just the initial, superficial impression. smiling smiley

Date: March 22, 2002 12:36AM

the sorting is great!

in the old version, did it used to tell you which forum you were browsing at the top of the page somewhere? i can't be sure, but i seem to miss it now... you know, for those days when you don't know which way is up. smiling smiley

Posted by: Ominx
Date: March 22, 2002 02:12AM

Date sorting is key. I was getting a little tired of searching the threads for a particular date, and more importantly it was killing my eyes. smiling smiley Nice improvement.

Ominx

Date: March 22, 2002 06:19AM

heh... it's looking better every time i come back... the subdued colors are nice.

oh. just noticed the 'Post' button is no longer one tab-stop from the text field... that can be adapted to, though. format tags sound nice.

it's like you're expecting company or something. smiling smiley

Posted by: Zeiram
Date: March 22, 2002 08:46AM

I like the new forums... especially the sorting by date :-)

But it seems like I stumbled across a bug. When I try to do a global search, my browser gets redirected to a page named /strokeit/forum/search.php which does not exist, and so I get a 404 error.

If I remove the "strokeit" part in the URL, I get my search results. So it seems like there a small mistake on the action attribute for the search form.

But I really love the new forums :-) Now we just have to wait for a new K-M also :-)

Best wishes to all,

Zeiram

Date: March 22, 2002 08:57AM

Oops, that's what I get for cutting and pasting code from my other forum smiling smiley

All fixed now, thanks.

Date: March 22, 2002 09:10AM

Yep, just verified, it works now. :-)

I just have one small request regarding the forums. I like the way there's "new" written next to each new message since last visit in the forums. Would it be possible to have the same thing in the forum list? (Ie, to have "new" written next to the title of the forum when new messages have been posted to the forum since the last visit.) Thus, the user wouldn't have to go through all the forums to see if there are new messages (I have a really bad memory for the time at which I last went in a forum).

Finally, I also have another question. Is the backend for this forum open-source? If so, where can I find it and what are its requirements?

Best wishes,

Zeiram

Date: March 22, 2002 09:32AM

The forum is Phorum with a couple of little hacks here and there to make it work better for us. It requires PHP and either MySQL or Postgres.

If you want to grab the source and work up a patch for adding the new flags to the forum, I'll be happy to apply it, but I don't want to get myself too involved with side projects like this smiling smiley

-- Jeff

Date: March 22, 2002 12:13PM

OK, thanks for the link.

Judging by the way it uses cookies, the "new message in forum" feature shouldn't be too difficult to code. I'll take a deeper look on this issue next week when I have a few days off work.

Zeiram

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: March 22, 2002 12:28PM

What is missing is the possibility to go to the forum list.

I am here in general now and don't see how to go easily to another forum.
(except going through the lefthand menu)

Bernard.

P.S. For those days, you can take an aspirine ;-)

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: March 22, 2002 12:32PM

Oops, I just found it.
It's now on the bottom only and not on the top of the message list aswell anymore.

........Yes, I think I'll take an aspirine.

Bernard

Posted by: Kurt
Date: March 22, 2002 04:37PM

Please add a "go to forum list"-link to the top again. By scanning for new posts you usually don't scroll to the bottom, so it's quiet convenient at the top.

Kurt

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: March 23, 2002 06:53PM

My eyes are MUCH happier 8D
The old forum made me :::::sad smiley(

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.