[O-T] Wilma at Cozumel
Posted by: Carson
Date: October 21, 2005 01:52PM

If you read this anytime close to Friday 7 am PDT or 10 am EDT, take a look at
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/IR4/20.jpg

in which you can see Wilma lined up for a direct hit on unfortunate Cozumel, the tourist resort island off the coast of Mexico's Yacatan Peninsula.

Cancun is also in the path, just a teeny bit to the north on the mainland.

The eye of Wilma will engulf all of Cozumel Island. The trailing wall of the eye strikes hardest, after the false security of the calm within the eye.

Re: [O-T] Wilma at Cozumel
Date: October 21, 2005 01:54PM

Yucatan. Typo.

Date: October 21, 2005 01:58PM

That image updates every half hour, so you might want to refresh the page.

Posted by: Enaitz Jar
Date: October 21, 2005 02:21PM

It's impressive.

Now I really value the convenience of living in the quiet and warm Spain.

Hope they are prepared.

Date: October 21, 2005 07:53PM

It is a very interesting combination of demonstrating K-Meleon and watching a fantastic natural phenomenon. You can right-click your Reload Page button and ask for a Continuous Reload, say, every 600 seconds. You can set that up in its own layer, and do anything else you wish--either in other layers in K-Meleon, or with K-M minimized while you use other programs altogether. When the browser and/or that layer are maximized again, there is the current location of the hurricane.

I am taking screenshots of the eye engulfing Cozumel Island. An amazing thing to see.

Tracking it this way, I have also become aware of just how unprofessional the news services are. They simply rearrange the NOAA wording every which way possible. Then they add phrases such as "winds whipped the trees and wild waves pounded the beaches" which any idiot can assume, but which people read as "The News". It becomes painfully obvious that virtually no one is actually reporting on anything being observed live, and all the news "services" are doing is restating so much obvious conjecture, rearranging subjects and predicates.

It becomes an extremely effective composite teaching/learning experience. But as Enatz said, one can only hope those people are prepared. The storm is lingering at nothing more than a slow jog, while its winds circle at 140 miles an hour.

Date: October 21, 2005 07:56PM

"Enaitz"; sorry. Another typo. Typo Carson is my full name.

Date: October 21, 2005 10:50PM

Don't worry Carson, Enaitz it's a real extrange name even in Spain. I've been all my life explaining that this is not a joke, that's my real name and no one believes me :-)

Date: October 21, 2005 10:56PM

About your comments.

I used to think like you and get worried or even ofended long ago, but then one day I noticed that the private news channel are not for informative purposes. Their main objetive is not to inform but to win as money as possible. So if talking this stupid way makes more people to watch tv they would do for sure. If people wants @!#$ and has the money to waste, that's what will be offered (look the musical top ten and you'll know).

The bad thing about all this is that I'm starting to think they are right :-)

Posted by: gray49
Date: October 21, 2005 11:41PM

Enaitz,
Sadly, we seem to live in a world,
where the lowest common denominator
is the norm...music...theater...art...television...
However, I refuse to believe that success...
money...power...equals being right.
That's one of the reasons I use
K-Meleon.
Peace,
Stuart

Date: October 22, 2005 02:27AM

It is sometimes helpful to remind oneself of the difference between art and entertainment. Art is for the soul, and has nothing to do with money. Entertainment is a commodity put out for profit and (in our world) is all about money. The so-called "News" has become entertainment, too.

I love learning things, myself, and in my 59 years so far I have just managed to learn the teensiest, tiniest amount of virtually nothing at all--but I have loved doing it. Mainly what I have learned is that I don't know anything more than an insect or a bird knows, and I am very proud of myself for having learned that much.
:-)

Date: October 22, 2005 02:22PM

This thing about the difference between art and entertainment is a point of view really interesting, there are people who can only aspire to value entertainment and get confussed by art.

About what businessmans are offering to the people mass I think that they are perfectly legitimate to enrich themselves by using others stupidity. Is a some kind Darwinist point of view: If you are stupid your money will fly to clever hands.

You may think people not so stupid will also need money to buy things. The market solves that easily. As there are much more stupid people than clever one the prizes for stupid products cost more because they can pay more. For example, compare the prizes for the "In A Gadda Da Vida" cd with any new cd from an handsome male lover songs singer (as Enrique Iglesias) or a tv show singer (in Spain there are a tv program about people who compete to show who sings better, is called "Operacion Triunfo" and they are saturating the market with "going nowhere" recordings of classical songs versions).

Posted by: maty
Date: October 22, 2005 09:56PM
Date: October 23, 2005 12:05AM

Gracias, Maty.

-- I wonder if I would go or stay. Everything intelligent says "Leave!" --And leave sooner rather than later. Then another voice says, "But it would be an incredible experience to see it . . . ."

I guess that's what causes a lot of problems for a lot of people.

and the BEAUTY
Posted by: maty
Date: October 23, 2005 09:15AM

And the BEAUTY...
]]http://www.microsiervos.com/archivo/ciencia/dione-y-saturno.html[/url]

PD: The next week, I want to translate/update my translation of K-MeleonCCF 0.020 to K-MeleonCCF 0.04b1 (Hao) to spanish.

http://nauscopio.coolfreepages.com/k_meleon/k_meleon.htm

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 23, 2005 12:22PM

in news they say: people from families that are in the region for a long time seem to have houses that are prepared ... on stilts and hardened ...

also: there are several Es versions now - great

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.