General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
16MB P133: worked!
Posted by: Tzafrir Cohen
Date: March 24, 2002 10:25PM

Just wanted to report here that I installed K-Meleon on a computer with a bit of memory shortage (16Mcool smiley. The computer currently has win95 and MSIE5 installed. MSIE seems a big task for this computer, at least with "content-rish" sites.

Later I read in the requirements that 32MB are required. Well, not in that case :-)

I installed Ke-Meleon as a browser that will work better on most sites: Java was left out, and so was Flash. The user is not so much a computer literate, but I explained that "Flash something that is mostly used for 'heavy' adds and other abuses, and better be kept out" ;-)

It took me a while to figure how exactly "favorites" work. The FAQ claims that it should simply work, and doesn't explain that it updates "automatically" only on startup.

All in all: looks like good browser, a fine alternative for lower end computers (and maybe some others as well. I mostly work on Linux...). Looking forward to 0.7 !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 40MB P75: works too. With Flash
Posted by: Torbjørn Vagstein
Date: March 26, 2002 09:42AM

I'm writing this on a P-75 w/40MB of RAM. K-M works beautifully here to - much snappier than IE4 which was all I dared run on this box before discovering K-M. I just installed Flash yesterday - it works, although it isn't exactly fast.

Minimum requirements are rarely really requirements. I once booted this box in Win95-2 on only 2 MB of RAM... BTW - isn't PII-233 supposedly the minimum processor req. for Gecko?

Tobben

Re: 16MB P133: worked!
Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 26, 2002 12:14PM

Heh. Yeah, the "minimums" are just to keep people from trying to run it on boxes that they shouldn't and then complaining. I have no doubt that K-Meleon can and will run on computers slower than what I listed as the minimum.

Andrew

Posted by: Brandon
Date: March 29, 2002 05:48PM

For a while I've been trying to find a good browser for my P-120/32mb computer. I didn't want to use IE, and Mozilla and Netscape just use to much memory (I think they may even really require 64mb), and they really need a faster CPU. I was considering a swith to Opera(although I loath adware) when I found K-Meleon and it works great. Now all I need is a new e-mail client since I'm still keeping Mozilla around for that. If you know of any let me know, just free, no adware, and preferably open source.

Posted by: Frank
Date: March 29, 2002 11:05PM

I've got a problem with 32Mb of my ram dropping out occassionally leaving just 32Mb which makes IE a bit dodgy. K-Meleon seems to work fine in this situation. I've made it my default browser.

Posted by: hattedjon
Date: March 31, 2002 02:55AM

I can recommend a good email client, though unfortunately not open source - but free. Calypso was a commercial release, but is no longer supported and now available free.
It works well on my 98lite micro setup, and really has many more features than I need. Unfortunately I can't remember where I downloaded it from, only that it wasn't from the deveoping companies website, where it definitely wasn't available any longer when I downloaded it. It has a colourful cheerful interface and no ads!

Posted by: hattedjon
Date: March 31, 2002 03:25AM

You can download Calypso from: http://www.webattack.com/get/calypso among other places. I should point out that that I did have a conflict of some sort with NapMX and Calypso (something to do with .ocx files I think). I decided to Keep Calypso rather than NapMX, though not until I had a nice long list of OpenNap servers from the latter ; )

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.