General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Installing Skins
Posted by: Nightingale
Date: March 28, 2002 07:56AM

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I install a skin onto the browser? When I unzipped the skin, it became many files, so how do I install many bitmap files onto the browser to make the skin?

[Obviously, I'm not computer saavy! I'm sorry!] smiling smiley

Thank you kindly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing Skins
Posted by: Andrew
Date: March 28, 2002 08:22AM

Nightingale,

K-Meleon creates a Profile directory where it stores the various Profiles used by the browser. Typically, you will only have one profile named "default". Start here:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\
[the xxxxxxxx will be some random combination of letters and numbers]

In the xxxxxxxx.slt directory, you will see the image and configuration files that control the look of the "skin". Just copy over the files that you unzipping into this directory (Make sure that K-Meleon is closed first and if you are using the Loader, that you have exited it as well). Overwrite the existing files with the same name.

When you restart K-Meleon, it should be using the new "skin". If anything is messed up, post here. Not every skin was created the same way.

Andrew

Date: March 28, 2002 07:18PM

Again, there are MANY different files for the same skin! For example, one says 'back.bmp'; the next is 'tool1.bmp', 'too2.bmp' ... on up to 'tool8.bmp' ... so do I put all of these side by side into that directory? Obviously, I'm a 'dummy' and haven't got a clue what I'm doing! LOL winking smiley I'm trying to apply the 'Galeon' skin. and there are 7 of these files...

Thank you so much!!! smiling smiley

Date: March 28, 2002 09:03PM

Nightingale,

If the zip files includes all of those skins then you'll want to include them. Just dump them into that directory and overwrite the existing files. Then fire back up K-Meleon and it should look like Galeon.

Andrew

Date: March 28, 2002 10:03PM

I tried that and nothing happened! I know NOTHING about zip files, how or where to find them. I copied them onto a floppy and there's seven of them now -- all pertaining to the same skin, but one is this button and one is that button and one is the background and one is the colour and so on ... so do I put, for example, 'back.bmp', 'tool1.bmp', 'tool2.bmp' ... just like that into that field?

I told you I'm a dummy! winking smiley

I appreciate your patience...

Date: March 28, 2002 10:50PM

Nightingale,

If you have the 7 files, you have managed to unzip them, so we're past that step.

Now copy those files from the floppy disk into this directory:

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default\xxxxxxxx.slt\
[the xxxxxxxx will be some random combination of letters and numbers]

In the xxxxxxxx.slt directory, you will see the image and configuration files that control the look of the "skin". Just copy over the files that you unzipped into this directory (Make sure that K-Meleon is closed first and if you are using the Loader, that you have exited it as well). Overwrite the existing files with the same name.

Let us know how that goes.

Andrew

Date: March 29, 2002 12:17AM

I give up! none of this makes any sense to me! I don't know WHERE to put the files. I've just got 7 or 8 bitmap files on a floppy, but I haven't got a clue what to do with all of them or where to put them. Furthermore, I don't know what/where the 'loader' is. I'm a total dummy when it comes to all this sutff. sorry.

Oh well, it's no big deal, I'm sure. I'll just keep it looking nice and ugly just like IE! winking smiley

Date: March 29, 2002 02:25AM

Nightingale,

Do you know how to copy files from your floppy disk onto your hard drive?

Andrew

Date: March 29, 2002 07:37AM

I thought I knew how, but, somehow, I've become all confused about this. I'm so sorry! It's weird too, because, when I go into windows explorer, there are so many files that I can't find [!], e.g. the unzipped files sitting in the zip program, etc.

Then, when I try to save something into 'my documents', for example, and then click on the 'browse' button to find a fild to put into that field and then click 'my documents', nothing shows up! It's the weirdest thing, really.

What I've been doing on KM browser is clickong on 'edit' and then 'preferences' and then trying to place the file in the 'background image file' field ... and this is what's in there right now: Hah, hah, well never-mind ... since this browser won't let me 'copy' and 'paste' anything. Is this defective or something? Did I make a mistake?

Anyway, I used the file name you provided, but replaced the 'xxxxx' w/galeon..slt\. Should it have the bmp instead of the slt?

That's the problem w/zip files, as once they're open, I don't know how to transfer them or find them on the hard drive ... for the reasons expressed above. Somehow they just get lost somewhere in my computer! Phew!

I apologise. I'm really 'stupid' with all this... smiling smiley

I so appreciate your patience with me, though! smiling smiley smiling smiley

Posted by: Al.
Date: March 30, 2002 10:51PM

Gawd! How did AOL let Nightingale slip thru their fingers!!!

Posted by: po
Date: March 30, 2002 11:44PM

well, the more people who do slip through their fingers, the better off the worlds gonna be in the long run, even if it makes certain people's worlds a little less comfortable in the meantime, so... to paraphrase the old cliché:

"if you can't find something constructive to say... etc." smiling smiley

Posted by: Lucas
Date: March 31, 2002 12:15AM

Maybe this is easier:

Open MS-DOS-prompt (Start --> Program's --> MS-DOS-prompt) for Windows 9x
For Windows 2000 & XP (Start --> Program's --> Accesoires --> C-command)

Windows ME is one of these...

When the whole screen is filles up black, press Alt and Enter together. If not, just ignore this

Open Windows Explorer.

Go to : C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\default
There is one map.
It should look similiar too: 0f4ndlem.slt

Then, after putting your floppy in the computer, go back to you MS-DOS window en typ:

cd\ [enter]
copy a:\*.* c:\progra~1\k-meleon\profiles\default\xxxxx.slt [enter]

Warning!!!
you must replace those xxxx by the name of the folder in the directory C:\Program Files\K-meleon\Profiles\default\
The name must be EXACTLY the same.

Then, it starts to copy. When the computer asks to replace files, press Y (yes).

When thats done, do this:

Do you see a green chameleon in your system-tray? Normaly you do. When not, skip this step.
When you do: Click on it with your right mouse button.
Select "Exit" and click on it with your left mouse button.

If a K-Meleon window is open, close it.
Then, start K-Meleon back on, and now you should see Galeon.

Much succes!!

Date: March 31, 2002 02:15AM

Thank you very kindly for this help! One thing I did do was get a different zip program which simplified things greatly! One of my main problems has been trying to deal w/zip files, opening them and then locating them once I've done so! It's clear that I'm not the only one who's had that problem either.

'Al' and 'po' sure enjoy being rude and poking at people, don't they? I don't know where you lot get off that I'm w/AOL. I've never had anything to do w/aol and it just so happens that some of us are novices; so what's wrong with that? I suggest that you focus on being constructive in this forum instead of wasting time poking at other people! Thank you kindly.

Posted by: Al.
Date: March 31, 2002 03:07AM

Well it's the first unserious thing I said, normally I'm a serious kinda guy.
Anyhow Nightingale, getting down to it, what compression (zip/unzip) program are you using at the moment? It seems that the program you are using isn't cutting the mustard. If you let us know, then some help will be forthcoming, and maybe some suggestions on a better program.

P.S. If you haven't specifically installed a zip/unzip program, then what you are probably using is the built in Compression Folders (if you are using Windows Me, or Windows XP/2000).

Date: March 31, 2002 03:08AM

umm... it wasn't you i was poking at; maybe you misunderstood.

yes, a zip utility you're comfortable with is essential, and largely a matter of taste.

(i'm fond of <a href="http://www.7-zip.com/">7-zip</a>; myself.)

ok. i'll go back to the safety of shutting up now. smiling smiley

Date: March 31, 2002 03:11AM

oooh. looks like the formatting no longer works the way it used to.

i'm having a great day... i think i'll go to bed... winking smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.