General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Is Java needed?
Posted by: polo
Date: April 02, 2002 06:47PM

I've using K-M for over 3 months now and without the Java installed. For security I have JavaScript turned off and only switch on when a site really needs it.

Unfortunately most ppl use the default settings on Netscape on IE and have everything on -- ActiveX (IE) and JS and Java. Apart from most sites not needing all these and definitely not all at once (!) it slows down the PC and is less secure???

I've yet to visit a site where Java is explicitly required. Maybe my sites are "boring"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Java needed?
Posted by: Peter <peter.bittner@gmx.net>
Date: April 02, 2002 08:52PM

Well, try to use ICQ on the Web:
http://lite.icq.com

I have a 486 and don't want to install ICQ locally (which would slow down the machine's performance completely), so I find it great to have a web based ICQ.

Well, to be honest -- actually, still I can't use it, because JRE crashed Windows'95 completely when it starts up (i.e. when I go to a site that uses Java).
That pisses me off a little bit. :-(

K-Meleon is great! Keep on!
Cheers, Peter

Posted by: po
Date: April 02, 2002 09:44PM

yep. 'boring' is one of the first things i look for in a website, too. smiling smiley

Posted by: Al.
Date: April 02, 2002 09:47PM

Actually I use Java for online banking, as I'm sure others do: my bank runs a Netscape Security Applet for online access. And of course Opera could never run it at all, however using the same Java VM, K-Meleon ran it smoothly.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.