General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Installing K-Meleon
Posted by: John McLaren
Date: April 08, 2002 03:30PM

I have a very old clunker for a computer that I will have to keep for the next few years - 16Mb ram, 1.2gb hdd, 120Mhz Pentium. I am developing the web site for the community I live in and the poor old machine is simply not up to the job. Partly because the disk is 90% full.

I have found a program that will enable me to completely disappear MSIE 5.5 - this will save me at least 30Mb on the disk and maybe save my sanity because I am an intuitive computer user and IE is counter-intuitive.

By disappear I mean everything goes including .DLL's and a complete registry clean afterwards. There is absolutely othing left of IE after the removal

I use MDIE for web browsing and to connect to my email provider from where I send and receive email.

Is KM able to fulfil those functions without relying on any of the MSIE .dll's and whatever? Because if so, I will have MSIE off ths computer as fast as I can.

Thanx in advance for any advice

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing K-Meleon
Posted by: po
Date: April 08, 2002 04:17PM

if you're talking about IEradicator, it actually leaves a few things related to HTML rendering behind, since so much of windows is dependent on them... otherwise, in the worst case, you might need to grab a couple of recent library files, but if you disable the rebar menu in k-meleon, you can get around some of that, too.

as long as your email provider uses a fairly standard web interface, k-meleon should play nicely with it. keep in mind, though, that depending on what you mean by 'web browsing', not using IE may impact your experience a lot or not at all... in theory, any good page will work in any good browser, but in practice, a few don't.

i guess you could always re-install IE if you can't live without it...

Re: Installing K-Meleon
Posted by: polo
Date: April 08, 2002 05:42PM

>in theory, any good page will work in any good browser, but in practice, a few don't.

Out of curiousity can you guys list some sites which are IE only? I want to know what's so special about IE-only sites.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.