General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Language pack installing
Posted by: Zushiman
Date: April 17, 2002 09:14PM

I installed the language pack that adds support for displaying pages in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
Should I do something more? When I now surf these Japanese pages, all text comes as questionmarks (??????).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Language pack installing
Posted by: Andrew
Date: April 17, 2002 09:45PM

Zushiman,

You'll probably have to set the encoding and character sets in the preferences. Search the forums - I've posted the how-to on that before.

Andrew

Re: Language pack installing
Posted by: Buck
Date: April 20, 2002 03:41AM

Zushi,

my experience with this has been interesting so far. I used to use NS, and it was goofy enough trying to get, say, japanese pages to display correctly. But here's what I've accomplished so far with K-M, you can try it this way too, but I've noticed that some sites actually seem to crash the browser:

1. install the language pack.

2. search the internet for a suitable font and install it to your fonts forlder. I use MS Mincho since it seems to crash the browser less that MS Gothic does. In case you're wondering, these are japanese fonts and can be found at
http://www.ora.com/people/authors/lunde/cjkv-char.html

3. open 'prefs.js' with notepad or some other saves-to-text editor. add these lines:

user_pref("font.default", "MS Mincho");
user_pref("intl.accept_languages", "en-us, ja");
user_pref("intl.charset.default", "EUC-JP");
and save your changes.

4. go to a japanese web page and see if it works.

I may have left something out here, but if so, you might try Andrew's search above. (even if the K-M site does seem sort of oddly sorted-out and sometimes sparse on documentation).

Good luck

Buck

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.