General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
I hope...
Posted by: Nick
Date: April 21, 2002 03:01AM

... with all posts about the 'mozilla release' this, and 'mozilla release' that in here, are people hoping KM will incorporate all the swings and round-abouts (re other posts) that Opera and IE have?

I love KM 6.0 as it is... few bugs (or solvable at least), superb browser - and JUST that; a browser that browses..

Don't drive this down the road of Opera/IE thank you very much. If you like Opera/IE, then use them... leave KM to those that want KM.

Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I hope...
Posted by: Al.
Date: April 21, 2002 06:25AM

Well personally, and like I stated in other postings to these forums, I just hope that the next release of K-Meleon rounds up the bugs current in the 0.6 release. I couldn't really care which release of Moz it's based on (although it is more than likely 0.9.9, going by the developers list), nor what new features are involved. Having said that, the improved bookmarks plugin, plus tooltips for the buttons sounds nice. I have also heard a rumour that the mouse gestures will be incorporated in the form of a plugin, which will be a bonus.
Tabs, blah blah blah!!! This and that blah blah blah!!! I agree with you Nick, K-Meleon needs to be kept simple, and not overloaded with *unnecessary* features.

Posted by: _
Date: April 22, 2002 05:19PM

For the record, implementing a tabbed, MDI interface in K-Meleon wouldn't add bloat at all (lest it were done poorly), and would in fact add a great deal in terms of useability and end-user benefit (unless you don't like such an interface. Too bad for you since MDI is the future, and more and more people are being won over by the concept. Soon "SDI lovers" will be in the minority. ;-)

Posted by: Al.
Date: April 23, 2002 06:04AM

Oh no, not tabs again...

Posted by: Zeiram
Date: April 23, 2002 07:32AM

Just a small note to _ regarding MDI software... Did you notice that Microsoft abandoned their using of MDI in the latest versions of Office (2000 and XP)? They justify it by the fact that studies showed the usage of MDI windows was counter intuitive for many users... So I guess the "SDI lovers" still have beautiful days ahead :-)

Posted by: rmn
Date: April 23, 2002 11:25AM

I don't really care about K-Meleon's appearance. Whether it's SDI or MDI, tabbed or not-tabbed. What I care about is its size. Actually, the current version of K-Meleon has more than I need. From all of the default plugins, I only use the Netscape Bookmark Plugin because I also use Communicator. Bloating K-Meleon will make it lose its best features: size and speed.

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: April 23, 2002 04:30PM

There is really not much wrong with the current version.I got all of the plugins that I use to work to my satisfaction and I now use KM daily with no problems.

I use KM mainly for it's speed , and any additions to it that would slow it down will not be good news for me.Keep it simple and FAST,if even we have to sacrifice some fancy features to maintain it's speed.

Posted by: _
Date: April 24, 2002 02:36AM

Zeiram: Yea I know. Once again, Microsoft is out of synch with everybody else, in its own little world. :-)

And before you retort something like "you sound like the person in their own little world :-)", let me just say I guess time will tell what direction things will take. Btw, I'm not surprised MS abandoned "MDI" in Office. I mean, the way they implemented it, who wouldn't be confused: putting all open documents simply under the Window menu, with no tabs or anything. On the other hand, it's hard to see how anyone but *new* Office users could be confused even by *that* convention... since (until only rescently) *it had been like that since Windows 3.1!* :-P

The fact is, you see more and more developers moving towards an MDI interface with some sort of tabs/taskbar. I haven't heard of any studies into the efficacy of such an interface, but I know of *countless* stories of people who came to *love* tabbed/taskbarred MDI once they started using it to actually do stuff (and they typically hated the idea initially. I know that was the case for me.)

Like I said, time will tell.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.