General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Development Update
Posted by: Andrew
Date: April 23, 2002 03:30PM

I know many of you are anxious for the next release of K-Meleon. On the K-Meleon side, things are pretty much ready to roll. However, we have two "show-stopper" bugs in the Mozilla code. The first has resulted in downloading being broken such that any attempt to download in K-Meleon fails. Fortunately, this does appear to finally have the attention of the Mozilla team:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=134523

The second bug affects accessing sites using SSL:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=113007

This bug prevents users from accessing sites like Hotmail.com or anything else requiring a secure connection. Mozilla is aware of the bug and they have indicated that they will try to get this corrected quickly.

Our release is on hold until these two bugs are fixed. Unfortunately, that leaves us at the mercy of the Mozilla coders. However, once those bugs are corrected, we will do our best to release K-Meleon 0.7 as soon as possible. As always, we will be doing testing right up to the point that we release to ensure that we release a browser as free of bugs as is possible. For those who are beta-testing, your input is very important to ensuring that happens.

We appreciate those of you who have been patient with the time that is has taken us to reach release 0.7. Based on our beta-testing of the new release, I think you'll find it worth the wait.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Development Update
Posted by: olorin
Date: April 23, 2002 10:09PM

Hmm... so you mean that as soon as the Mozilla code is fixed, K-Meleon 0.7 is ready???

*muffled screams of exitement*

Date: April 23, 2002 10:19PM

Olorin,

We have some minor bugs that "it would be nice to have fixed" for the next release but nothing on our end that should hold things up.

Andrew

Posted by: po
Date: April 23, 2002 11:15PM

well, getting setpref() and togglepref() working would probably be a good idea, in order to avoid breaking people's existing macros... winking smiley

Date: April 24, 2002 12:15AM

Po,

I can't speak to the marcos. I know that Jeff said those needed some work but since Rob is doing those, I'm not sure what their current status is.

Andrew

Date: April 24, 2002 12:29AM

For those looking to submit Bugzilla votes, move those votes here:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=113007

the other bug is being reported as fixed. We'll have to build and test to confirm but that is good news.

Andrew

Posted by: _
Date: April 24, 2002 02:41AM

what Moz. rel. will KM 0.7 be based on?

Date: April 24, 2002 03:07AM

The current beta is based on Mozilla 0.9.9 source. However, since some of the major bugs that need to be fixed are post-0.9.9, the final release will include changes necessary to address those bugs. Whether that will be an official 1.0 source or something in between depends on how soon we release.

Andrew

Posted by: NotThatDude
Date: April 24, 2002 02:15PM

Just added my vote. The direct link to add your vote is here:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showvotes.cgi?voteon=113007

-ThatDude can bite me

Posted by: supporter
Date: April 25, 2002 08:08AM

So we have:
two showstopping bugs,
an open sorce project and
developers waiting on others to fix tose bugs.

Am I missing something?

Date: April 25, 2002 10:27AM

If the question is "Why don't we fix those bugs"? In some cases, we have fixed Mozilla bugs on our end while waiting for the Mozilla code to catch up. In this case, the people handling the code on our end must feel that the problems in the Mozilla code are something more than a simple fix that we can incorporate. Plus, it's in our best interest that Mozilla's code get corrected. Each new release with bad code from Mozilla is that much more work for us to have to deal with.

Andrew

Posted by: Spenser
Date: April 25, 2002 04:04PM

Thanks for the up-date Andrew. Looking foward as alot of people are to the final release of K-Meleon! Hope it is soon.

Spenser

Posted by: Robin
Date: May 01, 2002 10:06AM

Does the forced wait on mozilla imply that K-Meleon 0.7 will use Moz 1.0+
or will the mozilla developers fix 0.99 or 0.98 or whatever you've
found the bug(s) in?

Date: May 01, 2002 10:39AM

Robin,

Generally speaking, it depends on how the Mozilla bugs get checked in on their end. However, I'm guessing that because of the delay, we'll be using Moz 1.0 code.

Andrew

Posted by: Rob Vonk
Date: June 06, 2002 10:09AM

Is there a way to make this thread "sticky" (Keep it on top) so that new people (complainers) can vote for these bugs too?

People, please vote for the two bugs
Posted by: Vincent
Date: June 06, 2002 05:21PM

If k-meleon users want to get 0.7 as quickly as possible, you guys must go to the bug page and vote for the bug to be fixed. The download bug has very few votes at the moment

Re: People, please vote for the two bugs
Posted by: Kidman
Date: June 07, 2002 11:57AM

the votes don't matter at all. there are even worse bugs, that got less than 5% of the votes the K-Meleon ones got...it will be fixed as it fits in the mozilla developement I guess...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.