Peak Memory Usage
Posted by: Kerodo
Date: February 02, 2006 04:48AM

I have been using the released K-Meleon version 0.9.1.2 for some time now and just noticed something the other day which seems a little odd. In Win2k's Task Manager I enabled the display of Peak Memory Usage. Then after several hours browsing on and off, I noticed that K-Meleon's peak memory usage was 260mb. This seems a little high doesn't it? I assume this means that at one time while browsing, ram usage by KM hit 260mb. I am using windows only mode and I don't think I was putting any extra heavy load on KM at all. Anyone have any comments or ideas on this? Is it normal? I am testing the new Firefox 1.5.0.1 tonight and so far after several hours it's Peak Mem Usage has only hit 52mb. Quite a bit less. I am not really concerned but would be interested in hearing any comments on it. Thanks..

Re: Peak Memory Usage
Date: February 03, 2006 12:33AM

Wow... total silence.. Ok, thanks anyway guys.. winking smiley

Posted by: rmn
Date: February 03, 2006 01:39AM

To answer your question, it does seem too high and it doesn't look normal (but I don't normally watch my memory usage so I don't really know).

Date: February 03, 2006 02:32AM

Yep, seems a little weird to me too. I just posted mainly in case it was a problem or bug that might need looking into. Thanks.. I'll leave it at that then...

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: February 03, 2006 07:40AM

just maybe it could be max entries responsible for blazing back n forth pages just like in opera. the default could be high, try lowering it if you don't have enough ram. try this, more or less...........in user.js

user_pref("browser.sessionhistory.max_viewers", 5);
user_pref("browser.sessionhistory.max_entries", 5);

Posted by: CaptnBlack
Date: February 03, 2006 11:19AM

Actually the fast bf pref is:

browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers

Set it to -1 and memory use will be determined by the amount you have available.

Posted by: CaptnBlack
Date: February 03, 2006 11:26AM

But...
K-Meleon 0.9.12 is based on 1.7.12 GRE, and it doesn't have the fast BFcache feature.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 03, 2006 01:33PM

From personal observation here?
It largely depends what I do and how fast.

On realy fast connection or surfing offline pages You can drive memory in use to the point where OS says i can give no more. I have an extensive offline collection of java applet pages. They are much like HP - well, i can drive usage up to any point i care. When i do it with ME i can crash any browser. I came here to k-m
( when i had only my ME machine ) because k-m was best suited to do that : )
He was the last browser to give blue screen for out of memory.
And i can do that with any browser.

If i want i can set/feed a RippleApplet with params that strain browser and OS

Eyes-Only used to surf with a server connection - he could do out of memory also.

To check whether anything is in disorder You would minimize k-m and maximize it again. k-m is supposed to relase all except about 20 mb (or what it has normally on Your system right after startup).

If k-m does not release that? He or Your system is brocken.
You can check whether files in Profile grow permantely.
Lets face it: Some installs break. exes are machines that can break.

Try with other version or install of k-m.
if problem persists?

Lets face it - You need a shell program or a good memory manager to do certain things with DOS based Win. And all Wins have to re-install ocassionally.

Also: in the past some minor leaks were supposedly in GRE.
I am not sure whether Mozilla and FF with 1.7.x are still affected.

The GRE and k-m will goble all memory up to max cache setting.
That is a wanted behavior. High Cache setting improves speed.

Dorian wrote about fixing leaks connected with certain browsing situation or work of k-m. But i am not sure what he fixed because he reprogramed very much for better function, or had to repair old things? - so i am not sure were he had to fix: old or new code.

Anyway: 0.9 is our old tested work horse.
Dorian reprogrames much for new browser.

btw - sorry to have payed no attention: this and speed were frequent topic once
i did not feel like commenting.

p. s. K-M is He, like all browsers in language here.

Best weekend to all - mine has just started

Posted by: Terry
Date: February 03, 2006 03:58PM

Kerodo, thanks for your observations. We cannot always monitor these pages every day, so be patient with us who don't. My experience with K-M's memory usage, however, does not resemble yours.

Let me set down the conventions of my usage. First, I am using XP on this machine not W2K so there will be some discrepancy, but my W2K machine gives me approximately the same memory usage. Also, I will be using the Task Manager's default of measure in K not in MB.

Second, part of the memory usage is dependent upon the amount of memory you assign and the size of the cache. K-M 9.7.12 is defaulted to 1024 and 52,000 (approx.). Foxfire 1.15.1 and SeaMonkey use a different memory configuration in about:config so that the cache measures at 75,000. The size of the cache does increase the memory footprint a little. Dr. Orca's default is 50,000.

In any case, in my measurements K-M has rarely exceeded 60,000K, but this depends on how many layers I have on the screen. I run K-M in layers only mode, and each page gets its own layer. When Minimizing K-M the usage will drop as low as 3,000K and then build back to between 24,000 to 32,000 depending on the last layer displayed. On average K-M runs between 35,000-48,000K.

Firefox and SeaMoney are quite similar in their usage. However, Firefox seems to be defaulted not to releasing memory when minimized. You can go into about:config to force it to do so - with mixed results. It is pretty much the same with SeaMonkey. Both Firefox and SeaMonkey do not default to opening a new tab for each webpage. They use the same tab. This keeps their memory usage down. On the other hand, with the extensions and gizmos you can add to each will also affect their memory footprint upward. This becomes more obvious when several tabs are in usage and especially if there are several plug-ins, they do slow down in comparison to when they are first started. Surprisingly, SeaMonkey seems to be faster. As to their memory footprint, they both start (since they come up in my homepage which uses Flash) around 49,000. Around 80,000 K is their average. On other systems this may be slightly lower or higher and may be a function of my running them through a proxy.

I found Dr. Orca to be very snappy even with multiple tabs. The reason seems to be that it does gobble memory and can get as high as 190,000K when used for long periods (I don't know how high it will go since at that point nVidia drivers are world renowned for creating a feedback loop and crashing your system, so I have bailed out to avoid that possibility).

So, to be honest, K-M on my system resizes itself constantly, and when minimized and then brought back up, refreshes its memory usage generally lower. I will watch this more closely in the future since I don't use the other browsers as often. Hope this helps.

Date: February 03, 2006 08:07PM

Thanks for all the replies and info guys.. Yes, I think it is probably ok. When I minimize KM it does release down to a very small amount, so there's no prob there. Perhaps it's just a case of me not ever noticing before since I am not in the habit of looking at 'peak' memory usage. This was the first time I looked at that. I am playing with FF now to see what it does after a day of use. I suspect it might be the same as KM. From what Guenter says, it's then not at all unusual to run high on mem use under certain conditions. So I won't worry about it. I like KM best of them all since it seems lightest and fastest in general. When I saw this max usage, it just made me wonder if there was a problem, but it seems not. In fact, it could just be a case of mem use hitting a momentary (brief) high point and then back down to something much lower. Typical use seems to be more like 50mb or so. So thanks to all for the comments. I appreciate the input.

Posted by: Rajendra.G
Date: March 07, 2006 12:53PM

How can we measure the peak memory ?

Will feel highly oblieged if you reply on my e-mail id .
Rajendra3g_naik@rediffmail.com

Posted by: Enaitz Jar
Date: March 07, 2006 01:28PM

I know there are better methods, but I simply press control + alt + delete and check there for CPU and memory usage.

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: March 07, 2006 01:45PM

I read on the other sight that firefox just like kmeleon don't release memory when you close tabs or layers.it's a bug.. just minimize and it release the ram...........

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.