General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to disable plugin mime types?
Posted by: NotThatDude
Date: May 02, 2002 04:04PM

My Quicktime plugin has taken over playing mpeg audio files... I want them to be handled by WinAmp.

The relevant portion of my 'about:plugins' says:

QuickTime Plug-in 5.0.2

File name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\K-MELEON\plugins\npqtplugin4.dll

The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.

Mime Type Description Suffixes Enabled
audio/mpeg MPEG audio file (*.mpeg,*.mpg,*.m1s,*.m1a,*.mp2,*.mpm,*.mpa) mpeg,mpg,m1s,m1a,mp2,mpm,mpa Yes
audio/x-mpeg MPEG audio file (*.mpeg,*.mpg,*.m1s,*.m1a,*.mp2,*.mpm,*.mpa) mpeg,mpg,m1s,m1a,mp2,mpm,mpa Yes
image/x-macpaint MacPaint image file (*.pntg,*.pnt,*.mac) pntg,pnt,mac Yes
image/pict PICT image file (*.pict,*.pic,*.pct) pict,pic,pct Yes
image/x-pict PICT image file (*.pict,*.pic,*.pct) pict,pic,pct Yes

I want to disable Quicktime's handling of audio/mpeg and audio/x-mpeg. (IOW, I want the "Enabled" line of both audio/mpeg and audio/x-mpeg to say "No").

I tried using the Quicktime control panel's 'Mime Settings...' to disable it's handling of mpeg audio, but it had no effect. 'about:plugins' still says that it's enabled.

I already have audio/mpeg and audio/x-mpeg in the user_pref("browser.helperApps.neverAsk.openFile", "{mime types go here}"); line of my prefs.js. All mpeg extensions (mp2, mpa, etc) are set to 'Winamp.File' in the registry.

Any suggestions?

-ThatDude can bite me

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to disable plugin mime types?
Posted by: Andres
Date: May 05, 2002 07:24PM
Posted by: NotThatDude
Date: May 07, 2002 04:34PM

Thanks for the reply Andres.

Unfortunately, that utility only allows you to disable an entire plugin... I just want to disable the plugin from handling certain mime types (audio/mpeg and audio/x-mpeg) while leaving the others intact.

Still searching for a solution...

-ThatDude can bite me

Posted by: Andres
Date: May 08, 2002 10:01AM

I think that QT uses 6 plugin files, of which each can be disabled separately - mpegs are handled by one file, I think (I am not a QT user myself). Also, I am not sure whether WinAmp can play an mp3 on the run or it has to load the entire mpeg file before playing.

There are also some other plugins for playing mp3s. Maybe you should try Crescendo or something else?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.