General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
More than 6 months
Posted by: willem
Date: May 08, 2002 08:49AM

And still not a single actualization.

6 months is much time to be waiting, don you think?

I find as incredible that developers can't release nothing by now as Windows can exists without IExplorer. I think something has gone very wrong with your project, even the more complex projects can release patches within six months if kmeleon cant must be a bad design problem, not enough work done to release anything or developers are just playing with us, in all cases something _very_ wrong.

Since the announce of the _zlib bug_ i'm using Mozilla, bigger but now not so slower, almost every application i know that uses zlib (even windows and IE) has released a patch or an actualization.

I already know and read before in other topics the common answers so please dont bother to answer if you are going to repeat it, what i want is just what other people have asked before: release often, release early. We people testing your work is our only way to collaborate with the project.

Still thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More than 6 months
Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 08, 2002 11:46AM

Willem,

Nothing is wrong with the project, you just have a different expectation on how releases are handled. Not every open-source project follows the "release early, release often" practice. K-Meleon issues releases when we have a stable and improved version ready. We do release beta builds for a those on the developers list to test. They help us work out the bugs. We also try to incorporate user input after each release to improve and enhance the browser. We also work with the Mozilla people to find and squash bugs in the Mozilla code too.

Andrew

Posted by: _
Date: May 08, 2002 07:18PM

I, for one, am looking forward with _great_ anticipation to the new release Andrew. ;-p

Gonna be sweet...

Posted by: _
Date: May 08, 2002 07:21PM

Ah yes, one other note:

I know it must get really aggrevating when you see posts like "you guys suck, it's been x amount of time and you still haven't released? What the hell's the matter with you?!"

Try to understand, though, that it's only because people love your work so much much, and care so much (unless it's just some trolling a55hole, but then those people don't matter anyway. )

:-)

Posted by: Andrew
Date: May 08, 2002 09:35PM

I don't think anyone takes it personally. We understand it has been a while and no one gets more frustrated by the hold-ups than those of us working on it in whatever capacity. We'll try to make sure it is worth the wait.

Andrew

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 09, 2002 12:14AM

There is a trend developing here, and it's mostly a knee-jerk reaction. Most of the people posting these forums messages are not really reading much else apart from what's on the homepage, under the "News" section. They look at that, and then blindly charge into the forums and spout off without really reading the forum messages at all. Andrew has posted quite a few messages regarding the development, and if these people actually took a couple of seconds to read them, then there wouldn't be any need for any of this.
I realise it's cliched, however in this case, definately "look before you leap" ;-)

Posted by: rmn
Date: May 09, 2002 07:36AM

That's why, those kind of 'important' messages should have been put in the news section, not (only) in the forum.

Posted by: Oren
Date: May 09, 2002 11:06AM

Instead of writing these updates in the forums, why won't you post it at the news page? after all, that's what it's for...
Unless of course you prefer to stay low-key for some reason.

Don't forget that many potential users just lose interest and move on.

JM2NIS

Oren

Posted by: BokLM
Date: May 19, 2002 08:54AM

Cool ! K-Meleon is not dead smiling smiley
I read somewhere else that it was dead, but when I read this I know that it's not true, that's a good news.

BokLM
http://mdl.tuxfamily.org

Posted by: Klaus
Date: May 20, 2002 08:07AM

It would really help if there was some GODDAMNED PIECE OF STATUS INFORMATION on the front page. Sorry to be shouting, but this really annoys me. K-Meleon is such a good product (and even though I'm using Mozilla now because of a few bugs in k-meleon, I'm planning to look at k-meleon again when there's an update), but the "PR" really s*cks.

whats so damned difficult about writing a few lines of information to give even casual visitors a feeling that it's not dead? sheesh, why do people feel the need to drag down good code-work with poor communications? or is it some kind of masochistic thing?

Posted by: Orphée
Date: May 23, 2002 04:32PM

I do not use K-Meleon anymore, for I switched to Linux (Mandrake 8.2) a few weeks ago. But I used to use it as my default browser, and I'm still waiting for the next release !

Posted by: dlawrence
Date: May 23, 2002 06:08PM

Uh... why are you waiting?

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 23, 2002 09:59PM

>I do not use K-Meleon anymore, for I switched to Linux (Mandrake 8.2) a few weeks ago. But I used to use it as my default browser, and I'm still waiting for the next release !

Talk about being in two minds... you don't use K-Meleon anymore, but you're still waiting for the next release? Plus you switched to Linux, which seems to suggest that you don't use Windows anymore.

Talk about confused ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.