General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
That's strange...
Posted by: ToX
Date: May 09, 2002 05:02PM

Hi guys! i was talking on a forum (it's an italian forum) about our favourite browsers... mine is obviously k-meleon but someome said that there are some problem while browsing several web sites... and that's where it comes strange:

take a look on this site: http://www.omnitel.it
the strange thing is the login form on the top left: it does work for me (kmeleon 0.6) but it doesn't works for my friends...

this is what it seems like for me :p
http://lnessuno.interfree.it/k-meleon.jpg

they just can't see the form... does it work for you? do you know what the problem could be?

tnx smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: That's strange...
Posted by: Markus Långström
Date: May 09, 2002 05:33PM

I can't see it!
Have no idea what the problem could be though...

/Markus

Posted by: David
Date: May 10, 2002 12:18AM

I can't either. Nor in Off by One or Act 10. However, Netscape 4.76 ~does~ show the login prompt (with both java and javascript disabled no less).

I tried setting the KM browser ID to Netscape 4.76, but that made no difference.

I looked at the source of this page, and I'm ashamed to admit I can't figure out how it works. What I see in the source is what KM (my copy) displays.

I will tell you though that when I view its source in Netscape, then go back to the window where the rendered page is still up, the rendering is trashed. This happens every time I "view source" on this page in NS 4.76. Eh?

Something weird is going on with this page. I suspect it's a coding error, but I'll have to leave it to the ones with more coding experience than I to figure out what it is.

It oughta be a law that page developers have to test their pages in everything ~except~ Intenet Excluder. <g>

Posted by: po
Date: May 10, 2002 01:24AM

for comparison purposes, it may be something similar to what i see at http://www.myrealbox.com ... the login fields in the upper left don't show up.

Posted by: Mark
Date: May 10, 2002 01:36AM

Well, I can't resist a good mystery/investigation/challenge.

Basically, the site is doing browser-detection on the server side. Depending on what browser string you send, you'll get something different. ToX, I would be willing to bet you're sending an IE browser string.

IE = it gives you an IFRAME.
NS = it gives you a LAYER.

It thinks K-Meleon is NS, but K-Meleon doesn't do LAYERs.

David, you couldn't find it because it's just one LAYER tag with a SRC attribute and the LAYER tag isn't anywhere near the box's location in source. It uses absolute positioning so they just wrote it in under the BODY tag. The page it loads to put in the layer (or iframe) is:
http://www.omnitelvodafone.it/_login_hp/welcome_hp.asp
Po, do you by any chance have javascript disabled? That page uses javascript to insert a different input field into the page based on your browser. No javascript, no input fields.

Date: May 10, 2002 01:51AM

nope... no javascript. you'd think they would allow for that...

thanks for doing the investigating for us lazy folks... winking smiley

Posted by: Ominx
Date: May 10, 2002 05:29AM

I think myrealbox does take care of this. With javascript disabled, when I click the logon box a server login/pass prompt is displayed allowing for input.

Ominx

Posted by: Lucas
Date: May 10, 2002 06:14AM

Mark: That's the thing. You've found it.

I haven't a login field either. But when I change the browser identification to MSIE, The login field prompted...

Posted by: David
Date: May 10, 2002 07:46AM

Good detective work, Mark! Now I wonder what it's feeding to those other browsers. Presumably it thinks they're NS -- and I don't think they do layers, either.

Posted by: sven
Date: May 10, 2002 08:26AM

Mozilla-based browsers don't do layers and they never will. Layers were devised by ill-minded netscape engineers to provide at least some kind of dhtml. Now we have clean dom implementation by Mozilla but there are some developers out there who stopped growing their knowledge about 2 years ago and are growing their ignorance instead.

Hum-hum... Just feeling sarcastic today... hum-hum...

Posted by: ToX
Date: May 10, 2002 09:31AM

thanks guys! you're just great! smiling smiley

hmmm maybe i will send an email asking for a version of their site which works on all sites... :p

Date: May 10, 2002 09:48AM

ominx:

yeah, i get that as a default, too, when the login request is sent empty... unfortunately, that little login dialog seems to be broken in the 0.65 version - kmeleon throws an error: "an unsupported operation was attempted"... otherwise i wouldn't even be bothering with that front page. smiling smiley

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: May 11, 2002 05:59PM

Very interesting. My mystery, however, is how I lost the ability to "identify as".
I am running around in a naked Mozilla5 with not even a scarf. smiling smiley

Posted by: Markus Långström
Date: May 15, 2002 08:34AM
Date: May 15, 2002 10:45AM

ah... i should mention that the (browser's) login dialog no longer chokes in the latest build, so that's all good... smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.