General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
opening link in new window
Posted by: Porter
Date: May 10, 2002 04:08PM

Is there any one-step way that you can get K-Meleon to open a link in a new window? In *nix netscape, you can do it with the middle mouse button. In IE, you can do it with shift-click. But in K-meleon, you have to right click, and then choose "Open in new window". Is there any other way? It may seem silly to you, but not being able to do that is the only thing that is keeping me from using k-meleon on a regular basis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: opening link in new window
Posted by: David
Date: May 10, 2002 09:27PM

Please forgive me, I'm feeling a bit cross today:

I'm puzzled yet again by the fact that so many people seem to want KM to work exactly like (fill in browser name here).

(I'm also puzzled by the fact that people post to this forum without searching the old posts. This subject (and tabs) has come up several times before. A search would have turned up this thread:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=4&i=1988&t=1988

with a very nice suggestion at the bottom. But never mind.)

The other browsers do their thing, and that's fine. I think it's better to let the KM developers come up with ~new~ ways of doing things, rather than imitating the big name browsers. If you prefer Netscape's or Opera's or even Internet Excluder's command set, then I say use what you prefer. Thank goodness we still have choice.

I'll admit that I miss some features that I'm used to in Netscape. Once in a while I miss them enough to use that instead, or OB1, or Act 10. However, I ~like~ the fact that KM is a little different, with useful features. Love that pop-up stopper, and the ability to make all windows resizeable.

And, finally: I don't speak for the developers, but I wonder how much they are really concerned with whether this is "the only thing that is keeping [you] from using k-meleon on a regular basis." They have built a nice browser here, and are making it available for free, without ads (unlike some browsers I could name). If some people use KM and appreciate it, I'm sure the developers think that's great, but I doubt that they expect or even want it to be the browser for everyone.

Finally, as a bit of an olive branch after that tirade <g>, you won't find many browsers that are more extensible than KM, and I get the impression that it will be even more so in upcoming versions. So at some point you'll probably be able to build a macro to do whatever command you like.

Posted by: rmn
Date: May 11, 2002 06:50AM

Answering Porter's question, no, there is no other way to do it. At least without macros.... I don't know. Maybe in the next release they'll make these macro-scriptings easier so you can add this feature yourself.

Posted by: po
Date: May 11, 2002 08:11AM

the macro scripting is gonna get harder before it gets easier. winking smiley

-well, deeper, anyway...

a macro can only carry out a series of operations that you put together... opening a link in a new window is already an internal command - the problem is that there isn't yet a way to bind a combination keyboard/mouse event (or even just a mouse click, for that matter... somebody correct me if i'm wrong) to anything as far as the user is concerned... so a macro can't really help here.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.