General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
connecting .url with k-meleon.exe?
Posted by: tty
Date: May 11, 2002 05:25PM

when i connect .url ending files with k-meleon.exe, then k-meleon shows only the content of this files, e.g. [internetshortcut] and so on...

is there any possibility?

-tty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: connecting .url with k-meleon.exe?
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: May 11, 2002 06:36PM

Try unchecking "Use DDE"
?
I just fooled around with my http associations to see if I could have problems too, and got blank windows until I did that and restarted K-Meleon.
Interesting. smiling smiley

Posted by: po
Date: May 12, 2002 12:49AM

shortcut files can't be directly associated with k-meleon, since they're just a windoze convention, AFAIK... the association for them should be something like:

rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l

which allows your system to look at it, and figure out that it's an HTTP, FTP, FILE, or whatever protocol URL, and launch the appropriate application associated with that specific protocol... does that make sense? smiling smiley

Posted by: Xiadix
Date: May 13, 2002 07:09PM

Can you be a little more specific? I tried your suggestions, but I can't get it to work.

KevG

Posted by: NotThatDude
Date: May 13, 2002 09:09PM

Under Windows 2000 all you have to do is open up Folder Options and under File Types look for 'URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol' under file types. Click on 'Advanced...', click on 'open' under 'Actions:' and click on 'Edit'. Change 'Application used to perform action:' to "D:\Program Files\K-Meleon\K-Meleon.exe" "%1" (include quotes) and uncheck use DDE. You can do the same procedure for HTTPS, gopher, FTP or whatever other protocols you see fit.

-ThatDude can bite me

Posted by: Xiadix
Date: May 14, 2002 03:59PM

I understand NotThatDude's comments. That can also be done automatically by reinstalling K-Meleon and allowing it to register its file types. The problem I have is that after it is done automatically, or with "<path>\K-Meleon.exe" "%1" is that it always opens in a new window. So if I continue to click on URLs (or use some automated program), I get many open windows instead of re-using the same window. I was hoping Po's way didn't do that.

Xiadix

Posted by: po
Date: May 14, 2002 09:04PM

i don't think there's any way to force k-meleon to re-use an existing window... maybe the developers can add a command line switch for this, as with IE... file under Improvement Requests. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.