General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Is there a way to make the BACK icon bigger?
Posted by: Coco Player
Date: May 12, 2002 05:34PM

Hello, I got a question:
Is there a way to make the BACK and FORWARD icons bigger so it's easier to click on them? I mean not as big as those in MS internet explorer, but maybe 2~4 times bigger than the one K-Meleon already has.

I think it will be more user friendly that way because then we ( I ) don't have to try to aim at the BACK icon.

Thnx.

Coco

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there a way to make the BACK icon bigger?
Posted by: sven
Date: May 13, 2002 07:28AM

Use alternative skins: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/graphics.php

I myself like bigger buttons too, I want to hit back button 100 times out of 100 without aiming and not to bring my look off the page to the button bar. There are several skins with bigger buttons (pixel32, explorer XP, exact explorer, chameleon skins, modern and mac os X).

You can always make your own skin with buttons matching your taste.

Posted by: ToX
Date: May 13, 2002 10:09AM

mac os x is made by me :p grinning smiley

btw i'm working on some new icons... based on the choosen os skin for windows xp...now they are really big (58x58pixel) maybe i'll place both big and "small" (maybe around 25pixel?)

you can have a preview of the results here:

lnessuno.interfree.it/kmeleon.jpg

Posted by: Klaartje
Date: May 13, 2002 01:22PM

Apart from using bigger buttons, you could consider customizing your accelerator keys so you could use a combination you like. Since ctrl+<- takes me back I don't really use the back button anymore.

Date: May 13, 2002 09:25PM

Thank you all for your help.

To ToX: I tried to find your link in yahoo and google but the searches gave no result. That was not a complete URL was it?

I'm beginning to like K-Meleon more and more, especially for the user customizable part, and I think I'll make some skins, too, some cool ones. Can someone please tell me what tool I can use to do that?

Sorry, new user (but an enthusiastic one). And by the way, K-Meleon was programmed in C++, right?

Coco

Posted by: ToX
Date: May 14, 2002 11:41AM

that's strange...

the complete url is:

http://lnessuno.interfree.it/kmeleon.jpg

maybe you should try to go to
http://lnessuno.interfree.it/
and then paste in the url bar the complete address... but i'm not sure

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: May 14, 2002 02:08PM

Coco - a good free graphics editor/paint program is Pxia
http://www.tacmi.co.jp/pixia/
I usually block things out in MSPaint first, and then finish in another program, it's faster for quick sketches.
Bigger icons are going to make a fatter toolbar; I ltry to keep mine on a diet. I'm visiting today in my new Mozilla, what a fat pig. smiling smiley

Date: May 14, 2002 04:04PM

Thanks ToX. I got your screenshot now. Don't really know why I didn't get it the first time.

And for the skin design: I actually wanted to know more about how to do the layouts, like the size, position, shapes, and functions. For the icon pictures and background colors I think I can import them from some good sources, or using a scanner to get good symbols.

In fact, I now have a good idea on what to make: a Jurassic Park Theme skin, with red in background, black words, dino skulls and ancient plants as icons ( or using some ancient human tools such as stone carved tools and mammoth bones), black T-Rex bones on background as well, and a flying dino as throbber. What do you think?

Or, another idea that came out of my head was: a pirate theme skin, curved swords, guns, a parrot, a horn, and cannons as icons, with a pirate's flag (a skull and 2 crossed bones) fluttering in the air. Hey hey, sounds good, if I just know how to get started.

Date: May 14, 2002 04:08PM

I mean the fluttering pirate flag as throbber

Posted by: Andres
Date: May 15, 2002 01:37PM

If you want to know the system for creating skins, just take a look at your present skin files (i.e. graphics) and the file toolbars.cfg (you will probably have to change that file for your new skin). You can also download some other skins and see how they were done.

You can change the order of buttons and the size (e.g. I used 31x31 pixels per button). Some basic math is needed to merge the buttons correctly.

I drew my skin buttons (Chameleon) with the last free version of Ultimate Paint. You will probably also need a tool to merge different buttons into the toolbar graphics file. That can be done e.g. by MS Photo Editor and (probably) some other photo processing programs (I don't use PhotoShop because it is murderously expensive).

Transparency is achieved by using the RGB combination 255-000-255 (magenta).

Date: May 15, 2002 05:16PM

Thank you.

How do you edit toolbar.cfg though? I've downloaded some other skins, but the authors didn't say how they made the order of buttons.

Posted by: sven
Date: May 15, 2002 06:13PM

The order of buttons is determined by the order in which they are listed in configuration file. Image that is used for any particular button is shown as number in rectangular brackets appended to buttonbar filename. First button has index 0, second 1 and so on.

Posted by: po
Date: May 15, 2002 09:53PM

you can also just use seperate tiny image files, one for each button, and leave of the index [n] number... this gets messy if you have more than a couple of buttons, though. if you want to compile them all into a strip, i believe the most recent version of irfanview has a facility to do this, called 'make panorama' or something like that...

Posted by: vze2xxnn@verizon.net
Date: May 27, 2002 11:51PM

The easiest way I've found to go back is to right click and left click back, much faster than hitting the back button on any browser, takes a little practice though.

Posted by: Rhys
Date: May 28, 2002 07:37AM

vze2xxnn,

There is an even faster/easier way... and that is by using the Stroke-It mouse gestures program (see http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/).

All you need to do is make a gesture with the right mouse button (i.e. a right-to-left line) and you are taken to the previous page Much simpler than clicking on icons!

Rhys

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.