General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Remove Branding?
Posted by: Steven
Date: May 27, 2002 08:34AM

Don't get me wrong, I love K-Meleon, it's my new favorite application -- broswer or otherwise, but is there a way to remove the "(K-Meleon)" from the title bar? I've been poking around in the editable files but I don't see any obvious source for that text that I can remove. It's not a big deal, but I don't need to reminded of the browser I'm using, it's not like I'll be using anything else any time soon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Remove Branding?
Posted by: rmn
Date: May 27, 2002 10:40AM

I really can't understand why someone would think about this very small detail. Aren't you proud when your friends see it and ask, "What's K-Meleon?" and you can tell them, "K-Meleon is my favorite browser."? It certainly will help promoting K-Meleon.

Date: May 27, 2002 11:59AM

friends? what's that?

Seriously, I've already spouted to all my homies about how cool K-Meleon is, they don't care, though, as they seem satisfied to feed the coporate machine. I even bring up some of my favorite little details about K-Meleon, like how in the rare event that it crashes, it doesn't bring my whole lousy operating system down with it.

I guess the main reason the branding bugs me is because I had long since removed it from my copy of Idiot Exploiter so now I'm just not used to seeing it. Plus, it looks so silly when I'm on a page like this one & it says "K-Meleon (K-Meleon)".

...Does it get on the resident forum moderator's nerves when I reply to replies in my own topic?

Posted by: _
Date: May 27, 2002 01:23PM

RMN, you general tone is derisive. If you can't understand something that doesn't make it wrong, incomprehensible or not valueable.

What *I* can't understand is the constant need to remind people like you of things like this, again and again. It's such rhetorical nonsense, it's reached the point of ludicrousy. Isn't our species supposed to be advancing to a greater level of understanding, instead of sliding backwards to a lower state of ignorance and mis- or non-understanding?

Posted by: Mark
Date: May 27, 2002 01:59PM

Steve, I think you would have to hack around in the binaries if you wanted to change that. Is it actually an option somewhere in IE?

And I'm not sure there is a forum moderator. Things stay relatively civil around here. Why would it be a problem to reply to a reply to your own post, anyway? Isn't that the point of the forums? ...discussion, and all that?

Posted by: Zeiram
Date: May 27, 2002 02:13PM

Mark,

The branding from IE can be modified (and at least partly removed) by two ways. First way is by using the Internet Explorer Administrator Kit. This application (from Microsoft) is targeted for ISP or companies that want to redistribute IE in some way and preset (or force) some options. Amongst the quadzillions of options you can set with this app is the branding string. But, IIRC, you cannot remove completely the "Microsoft Internet Explorer" from the branding. I'm not 100% sure, as it has been a few years since I last used this kit.

The second way (and much simpler) is due to the fact that IE actually reads the string it uses for branding from the registry. Hence, simply deleting the value for the correct key removes branding from IE. I don't remember either which key it is, but I know it is hidden somewhere deep inside the registry.

Finally, I do not know of any options in IE permitting this "de-branding". I would be most astounded the day Microsoft offers the possibility to remove every instance of the string "Microsoft" from their product... :-)

Best wishes,

Zeiram

Date: May 27, 2002 02:20PM

No, IE doesn't allow much of anything. Like most MS software, they try to pull a veil of deception over the user's eyes & make us believe the applications are running on magic rather than code. It was a long time ago when I removed IE's label so I forget exactly how I did it.

I already searched the binaries for traces of the (K-Meleon) text, too, that didn't yeild any useful results either. I could have missed the one file that has it, but who knows? That's why I came here to see if anyone else knew of a simple method.

Incidentally, I also searched the bianries for "URL:" so I could remove that from the front of the address bar, just because I'm extremely anal about such things. I mean come on, I've been using the web for many wasted years now -- I know what an address bar does. I was actually a little surprised with all the other freedoms in K-Meleon that these details weren't par for the course.

Now about forums, I feel the same way you do, but I've been to many that have TOS or rules pages that can take all day to read & some of them are baffeling. There were so many detailed rules dictating what could & should not be said at a Buffy forum I was at, I decided to abandon my account before I left a single message. I understand their reasoning in that case, being that you can spoil the plot for others that aren't as far along in the shows continuity as some of us.

I used to frequent a forum where they had a team of a dozen or so moderators that would ban users & harrass them verbally if they replied in their own topics. Such behavior was repremanded because otherwise users would reply in their own topics just to keep them near the top of the list.
This forum seems extremely helpful & friendly aside from a few messages I've read that were mostly just negative about K-Meleon. sum ppl jus try 2 front, tho!!!!11

hehe
What about messages that are long because I can't shut myself up? Does that rub anybody the wrong way?

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 27, 2002 09:54PM

Hey you can reply to yourself if you want to!

Posted by: Al.
Date: May 27, 2002 09:57PM

>Hey you can reply to yourself if you want to!

Well said Al.!
Now what this foru, really needs is an easier way to quote text, rather than cutting and pasting. That would be nice.

Whilst I'm at it, Steve have you tried Resource Hacker to remove the branding yet? I know it can be used to alter icons embedded in exe's etc., so it might also be used to remove or alter branding text as well.
http://www.rpi.net.au/~ajohnson/resourcehacker/

Posted by: rmn
Date: May 28, 2002 04:36AM

_, thank you for your criticism.

> If you can't understand something that doesn't make it wrong, incomprehensible or not valueable.
No, no, no. Of course not. I'm not saying that it was wrong. Sorry, though, if anyone feels offended by my comments. I didn't mean to.

I've just tried Resource Hacker on K-Meleon.exe. You can change the "K-Meleon" text, but you can't remove the parenthesis. Just try it, Steven. It is under the String Table 3585. If you change it, K-Meleon will show something like "about:blank (the_text_you_entered)" in the title bar. If you want, you can change the text to "(My Browser)" or anything :-) , but I think you must edit and recompile the source code if you want to remove it completely.

Anyway, you can play around using Resource Hacker. You can even change the icons, dialog texts, error messages, status bar texts, and some other things.

Hmm. Strange. I've never seen Dialog 184 before. Language and caracter coding settings. I guess it was reserved for later use. And the cursors, when are they used?

Date: May 28, 2002 08:57AM

Al, Resource Hacker was my first try,long before I ever came to the forums, but like I said, I could have easily missed the proper file.

It's nice to see you guys are all clearly well versed in some of the best system tweaking basics.

rmn, your original comments were directed toward me & I wasn't insulted in the least. I found your comments ammusing. It's nice to know I can rely on "_" if I ever get into a hairy situation, though.

& thanks for the detailed location of the text. Resource Hacker failed to uncover it in the searches I ran, but maybe now I can go look for that exact location.

Zeiram, now that you mention it, I think I used TweakUI for my IE de-branding.

Thanks for all the help & suggestions, you guys. I couldn't have gotten better help if I was an ample-breasted lesbian web-cam dorm girl.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.