General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Why?
Posted by: Tim
Date: June 01, 2002 10:33PM

Why do you people use this Mozilla crap? I mean come on, you're going to use a browser with no history? No automatic autocomplete on forms? A browser that doesn't render some web pages correctly. I've tried K-Meleon, Mozilla and Netscape 7 PR1 and they are all crap. Now I hate MS as much as anyone else but if you really want a good browser get "Smart explorer" or do a search for "Crazy Browser (650k)" which is free and which I am using right now and it basically blows away Mozilla. And come on, mozilla mail client can't touch OE which the simplest mail client there is. So why do you waste your time with this junk? And secondly why do I waste my time writing to you Mozillains?
Have a good day,
Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why?
Posted by: Mark
Date: June 01, 2002 11:50PM

"why do I waste my time writing to you Mozillains?"

Because you're a troll?

Posted by: Al.
Date: June 02, 2002 12:05AM

>Now I hate MS as much as anyone else but if you really want a good browser get "Smart explorer" or do a search for "Crazy Browser (650k)" which is free and which I am using right now and it basically blows away Mozilla.

Crazy Browser is just another "skin" for the Internet Explorer HTML components built into Windows, it is not a standalone browser.

>And come on, mozilla mail client can't touch OE which the simplest mail client there is.

OE!!! Omigawd!!! Are you serious? It's simple alright, and also VERY vunerable to malicious scripts and viruses.
Besides, most people using K-Meleon are using other more advanced email clients such as Pegasus Mail, Calypso, The Bat etc. They have no time for nonsense like OE.

>And secondly why do I waste my time writing to you Mozillains?

Well you're having a troll, and hoping to get your jollies out of it, which is why you are now checking back on your posting to see if you got any "enflamed" responses. As I've seen quite a few trolls in my time, you won't be getting one from me.

Posted by: David
Date: June 02, 2002 04:23AM

Why? I'm glad you asked. <g>

- It's small, tightly coded, and elegant.
- It's fast.
- It's far more compliant with web standards than any IE variant.
- It provides far more configuration choices than most others.
- It has some of the best privacy and security features available.
- It's open source, not proprietary.
- It's not adware.

These assets are important to KM users. To others, they're not. If the features you mention are more important to you, then don't use KM.

Though I'm not one of them, I'm quite sure that the KM crew welcome constructive comments about KM. OTOH, if KM is not your speed, you needn't waste your time telling them so. I doubt that they really care. Nobody here is in a race to take over the browser market.

Posted by: Jeremy
Date: June 02, 2002 04:27AM

"Why do you people use this Mozilla crap?"

Maybe because we like crap.

"I mean come on, you're going to use a browser with no history?"

C'mon, that's a blessing. That way your mom won't find out about those smutty sites you've been visiting. Works for me.

"A browser that doesn't render some web pages correctly."

There is no "correct" way to render web pages. There are different ways, but it all depends.

"And secondly why do I waste my time writing to you Mozillains?"

Becuase you secretly love all of us Mozillians. You know it, we know it, the whole damn system knows it!

Posted by: Steven
Date: June 02, 2002 01:20PM

Personally, I was forced into it because of IE's deep intergration in the Windows OS. See, a few weeks ago something went wrong in one of my system files that resulted in an error that prevents any folders from opening. Since IE & Window's folders share so many components, this same error occurs if I try to open IE.

So, can you imagine how stuck I was? I could open no folders & had no means of Net access. Fortunately I have my stuff configured in such a way that I have access to things like most of my DUN files without having to open any folders, so I could still log on. I did so & over Trillian (ceruleanstudios.com) I asked a friend to find me an alternate browser I could use. My highest priority was that it be small since she would have to download it to her machine, then transfer it to me over our 56k dial-ups. She sent me some text describing a set of browsers, K-Meleon sounded like more than I ever imagined possible in such a tiny package. They say "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" but in this case "they" don't know what they're talking about.

At first I was put off by the amateurish icons & toolbar skin, but I knew those merely cosmetic concerns that I could take of later. I poked around in K-Meleon's options & I was amazed at how much access it provided to simple configuration files. Before long I got it all greased up to look & *act* the way I always wished IE would. Now that K-Me & I have have some quality time, I can't see ever going back to the bloated turd that *still* tries to open itself & crashes everytime I have to dial back up after a network dropout.

While I still suffer the irritating inconvenience of not being able to open folders, this critical system failure was a blessing in disguise. Without this trouble I may never have discovered K-Me. Now, though, I'm one huge step closer to MS independence.

How about everyone else? How did all you guys come accross K-Meleon? Has anyone else experienced a similarly romantic event?

Incidentally, I still use OE, though it *is* bloated, I find autocomplete annoying, I like the way K-Me renders & I find it incredibly ammusing that Tim was using an IE skin & calling it a browser while he spouted his oh-so valuable opinion.

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: June 02, 2002 05:58PM

Very interesting,everyone hates IE but still uses it,by the way,if you find autocomplete annoying turn it off,it's that simple.

Date: June 02, 2002 06:07PM

Did you mean *O*E? ...Because it seems to me most of the guys here have abandoned IE like myself. As for turning off autocomplete, I don't have that option in my version. What's more, I can't even open it now because of that whole wanting to be a part of the OS thing. So... not simple -- at all.

I'll stick with K-Meleon, thanks anyway.

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: June 03, 2002 03:35AM

To disable Autocomplete,go to Tools/Internet Options/Content,click Autocomplete and
uncheck all functions.You must have a very old version of IE not to have that option.

I use K-Meleon quite a bit but it simply can't do everything that IE can.I think you know what I mean.

Posted by: Thoams
Date: June 03, 2002 08:23AM

HAVE ALL OF YOU CONSIDDERED FAST BROWSER ??

IT IS VERY VERY FAST AND HAS GOOD OPTIONS

FASTER THAN ANY OTHERS I HAVE TRIED.

TO BE FAIR I WILL TRY KMELON WHICH I HAVE COME
ACROSS BY DOWN LOADING STAR-DOWN-LOADER.

I USE FLASHGET AT PRESENT AND RATE IT FASTEST AROUND

REGET AS MOST RELIABLE EASY TO USE

GETRIGHT AS NEXT BEST

GOZILLAR WORST AND A TROUBLE MAKER

NOW I WILL TRY STARDOWNLOADER

KIND WISHES TO ALL

thomasleo@space.com

Posted by: rmn
Date: June 03, 2002 11:38AM

Hm. Let me see. When I first got my Internet access, I found out that IE doesn't work well in my computer. It hanged everytime I scroll a page. Then I heard about Opera. But the same problem occured. Then I tried Netscape. The problem was solved. Next, I tried Mozilla and K-Meleon. Both also worked well, so I uninstalled Netscape. Now, I use K-Meleon for everyday use and Mozilla sometimes.

Posted by: ToX
Date: June 03, 2002 01:56PM

ie is a fat elephant on my pc, i don't like it too much, so ieradicator unininstalled it for me and now kmeleon is my only browser on win98. windows was never been so fast&stable before

oh and i've deleted outlook xpress too... that's a bug with a window on... mail warrior works good for me smiling smiley

Date: June 03, 2002 04:41PM

Andrew_G , that's right, my system came with EI4.5 installed. When 5 was released I "upgraded" only to discover even more hassels & bloat so I returned to 4.5 after a few weeks of use. 4.5 doesn't even have a "Tools" button.

As far as K-Meleon not doing everything IE can, the only thing I miss so so far is the option of dropping a quick shortcut on the desktop. I've adapted to the Favorites menu, though. Sometimes K-Me doesn't seem to respond to some JS conventions like certain useful pop-up windows & meta-refreshes, but with all the benefits & such a small footprint, there's nothing else I need. I'm an exclusive K-Me user, now.

rmn, I know what you mean about instability, if I stumbled accross a page with anymore than about 20 animated gifs, I could call it quits for IE. It inevitably caused what appeared to be some kind of RAM curruption which would force me to have to reboot to display any pages afterward. K-Me doesn't suffer this affliction & will load as many gifs as the hard drive can hold.

Posted by: polo
Date: June 03, 2002 05:12PM

The original WWW browser was "Mosaic"? Which was part of Mozillla or something? I remember at University first using the WWW and thought it was so cool. Netscape came along and people said this is better than "Mosaic"...

Posted by: groggs
Date: June 03, 2002 05:37PM

I believe Netscape was developed from the Mosaic, and for those interested, th good ol´ browser can still be yours at:
http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/mosaic-w/releaseinfo/download.html

Mosaic was my first browser, used alongside gopherclient and an early FirstClass client used with BBS´s... I then went directly to Netscape Gold 3.0 and was from then on hooked on the Internet ! At present I am a dedicated IE6.0 user but just for fun, I shall now try Kmeleon.

(IE is a good browser and there are numerous professional reasons to use a browser that IS intgrated with the OS, but I see no reason to go at eachothers throats over an issue that boiles down to taste rather than technical differences. I note that many times the technical argument is not at all technical, but simply aversion towards MS or vice-versa)

I promise to come back with my views on K-meleon.

Posted by: rob
Date: June 03, 2002 08:44PM

actually Internet Explorer was developed from Mosaic, check out the Help>About Internet Explorer in IE3,4,5,5.5,6 and you'll see this -

--------------
Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic(TM); was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
---------------

Date: June 04, 2002 12:56PM

Then thats settled.... IE and Netscape originate from Mosaic.
Only to those interested in further information on Netscape:
http://www.hnehosting.com/mirrors/Origin_of_a_Browser/index.html

Next: I have now tried the K-meleon and yes, I find it to be fast.... but actually slower than IE6 that I´m currently using (!!)... and this is my configuration:
Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic T, 1.50Ghz CPU, 256 RAM,WinXP Pro and 256kbps ADSL. I also note that I require quite a few plug-ins to comfortably view the information I view on a daily basis. Anyway, a tribute to those who develop good tools and provide us with options to MS, should we want them !

Posted by: Andrew
Date: June 04, 2002 01:56PM

Groggs,

In what ways was it slower? Which plugins do you use?

Andrew

Date: June 06, 2002 05:34PM

Actually I found it to be 1-2 seconds slower loading ordinary news-sites like
http://news.independent.co.uk/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/default.stm
http://www.eb.dk
and a few others.
As far as plug-ins are concerned... Quicktime, realplayer, flash.. shall I concider mediaplaer a plug-in ?
Is it possible that cameleon would appear faster having flash/shockwave-player installed, maybe searching for a non-existing plug-in slowwed it down ?
(I myself belive it to be a question of available RAM to the system, IE works really well with the 256MB.. and YES, to conduct the testing I cleared all temporary internet files.)

groggs

Posted by: skaar
Date: June 10, 2002 09:59AM

Steven (66.20.229.---)
i sit here and listen to no need to argue, good cassette by the way, i find i must answer. while on a search for free stuff on sourceforge i stumbled upon IT, i don't use K as much as i could, my ie start page is my favorite site, http://www.domai.com, i use nscape for mail+news, not much for browsing and am moving to linux, very soon so K is fun and stable enough to not annoy me, that's why i haven't removed it yet.
the IE crashes are one of the reasons i wan't to move on, i really don't do much on windows i can't do on linux, except for mechwarrior and shogo, at least i have a few computers lying around to play with.

Posted by: Simon Kellett
Date: June 11, 2002 09:14AM

> The original WWW browser was "Mosaic"? Which was part of Mozillla or something?

Mosaic started it, then came Mozilla the name being derived from Mosaic Killer: and rhyming with Godzilla prbably helped.

Then somehow Mozilla was taken to be developed as Netscape, who then gave it back to Mozilla, who through most of it away and re-wrote it, and Netscape now takes snapshots back again. Sounds a bit incestuous.

Regards, Simon

(new to K-Meleon from Opera (6.02 just keeps crashing) - I like it so far !)

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: June 15, 2002 03:30PM

Because. Idiot Exploder half-killed my first PC. Outhouse Espresso zux. Tim rhymes with Dim.
Non of the above are allowed to touch my computer. The only Microsnot relic I have a use for is the Favorites folder, because K-M, my first choice for browsing, can use it. I keep a few others (Opera, Mozilla, Netscape) for odd jobs and webpage testing. I use Foxmail if I want fancy html mail, Phoenix for plain stuff.
I haven't succeeded in crashing Opera6.02 yet - odd, my system can usually crash anything. LOL

Posted by: Gyro Gearloose
Date: June 21, 2002 12:36AM

>> ie is a fat elephant on my pc, i don't like it too much, so ieradicator unininstalled it >> for me and now kmeleon is my only browser on win98.

Gosh, I wish I could do that with Windows 2000!
IE stinks ... but sometimes it's the only browser that'll open some of those pages with badly written HTML (mainly FrontPage crap), so I could always fire up Win98 with IE in an emergency. But I would sure like to get it off of NT, for good!

Posted by: Al.
Date: June 21, 2002 04:50AM

If you are using Windows 2000 SR1 (not SR2), then you can use IE-radicator on it to remove Internet Explorer:
http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.