General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mozilla 1.0 is out!
Posted by: Hacker Harry
Date: June 05, 2002 08:53PM

Hi folks!

just surfed into mozilla.org and saw the big news.
hopefully, those two blocking bugs were eliminated...

and don't miss the open 1.0 party! winking smiley))

k-meleon developers:
u r all doing a GREAT job !!!!
keep on hackin'!

Best Bytes®,
Harry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozilla 1.0 is out!
Posted by: Al.
Date: June 05, 2002 09:51PM

Depends upon whether the mfcembed version has been brought up to speed with the final 1.0 release of Mozilla or not. Only time will tell ;-)

Posted by: Artemis3
Date: June 05, 2002 11:10PM

Damn Mozilla 1.0 is fast now... A lot faster than .9.9... smiling smiley

Posted by: Daniel
Date: June 05, 2002 11:59PM

Long live Mozilla !!
Die MicroSucks !!!

Posted by: Andrew_G
Date: June 06, 2002 01:49AM

This forum seems to be getting more childish every time I visit it,are these silly remarks necessary?.

Posted by: bongski
Date: June 07, 2002 04:12AM

Went to mozilla.org but found version 1 RC 3 . Where is version 1? And when is kmeleon new verssion going to be released?

Date: June 07, 2002 10:41PM

Bongski,
I suppose this should be obvious, however if you're using a proxy with your browser, you're probably still pulling up the previously cached version of the page (when you last visited it for instance), you need to reload the page. I checked mozilla.org recently, and version 1.0 is there for the download.
As far as the new K-Meleon version is concerned, I mean c'mon, what are you trying to put you're own spin on the situation by asking that question. If you've been following the K-Meleon forums you will very well know the answer to that, and no, I'm not going to be endlessly repeating what the developers have already stated about the situation regarding it.
Besides, if you're so interested in Mozilla v1.0 then download that and use that in the meantime, you know you want to ;-)

Posted by: bongski
Date: June 08, 2002 06:25AM

AI,
Why are you ganging up on me? I did not start this thread,3 other fellows before me are praising the moz v1.0 on this thread so I am curious. I still am using km .6 . If you are irritated with this question then please ask the moderator to delete the whole thread altogether.

So many questions are being asked about comparison bet different browsers. My opinion is that most browsers are trying to beat IE with this and that feature only to end up working like IE.Look at Opera,it used to be small now it is growing in size.I would not be surprised if kmeleon goes the same way. Bottom line is that at this point there is still no browser that can take the place of IE. I have tried using 98lite to remove IE but in the process have disabled some software that need IE.

Posted by: David
Date: June 08, 2002 05:36PM

I refuse to use Internet Excluder on general principles.

I removed IE with ROM II SE and have never regretted it. KM handles nearly every page I want to view, and most of the recalcitrant others will knuckle under to NS Nav, Ob1, or Act 10.

A tiny few don't, I'll admit. But if a page is written for IE only, I just don't view it. As I see it, that's the page author's loss, not mine. If it's a commerce site, I make sure I let them know why I'm not buying from them.

Posted by: Hacker Harry
Date: June 10, 2002 07:25AM

bongski,

you are right, of course...
some software depend on IE, and sometimes this is not even mentioned
in the system requirements.
in those cases, i just copy the required libraries to %systemroot%\system32..
has worked fine for me so far.
what libraries a certain software requires often is displayed by the app itself
i.e. "can't load library XYZ"
if that doesn't help, try a filemon (get it from http://www.sysinternals.com)

david,

humble question: what is "ROM II SE" ?
i don't use Internet Exploiter either...
i've never liked the idea of someone dictates what software to use and what not.

Best Bytes®,
Harry

Posted by: Mark
Date: June 10, 2002 01:34PM

Revenge of Mozilla

See also: 98Lite - a free "preview" that removes IE (but not as much other stuff as the full ver.) is available.

Posted by: David
Date: June 10, 2002 03:05PM

ROM is (was) a utility which eviscerated Win98 to get rid of IE and several other controversial components. The main difference between it and 98Lite is that ROM (1) is (was) freeware and (2) ROM must be applied to a fresh installation of Win98 (98Lite works best that way, I hear).

ROM is no longer supported by its author, who I guess got tired of replying to email from clueless people who couldn't follow directions. However, it's still floating around the web and still works just fine with Win98/SE.

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: June 10, 2002 07:04PM

I just installed, updated and patched a version of Windows 95 (yeah I know, old but it still works for a home computer of that day) that does not have IE integrated into it. It came from MS and is probably a pre-release version (date 7/11/95). But at least I can start there without IE and add the dll files as needed. Thanks for the info - I feel more confident in pursuing this route for a simple machine.

you can install win95 osr2 without ie at all
Posted by: Vincent
Date: June 10, 2002 09:56PM

you can modify the installation files of win95 osr2 so IE doesn't get install at all. Check out the "29 Jun 98 Method 3" section of this page: http://www.compuclinic.com/osr2faq/

Date: June 11, 2002 12:56AM

Ah, Revenge of Mozilla II, now that brings back memories. I used to use it under Windows98SE a while back, before I purchased my new PC with XP on it.

Hang on, this gives me an idea!

*clink* *bang* *tinker* *crunch*

There! I've just created a new Yahoo! group dedicated to Revenge of Mozilla II, and I've uploaded my old copies of the ROM II executables, mainly so I don't have to keep a backup of them anymore. Do note, as far as I know, this group is the only site hosting the more up-to-date ROM IIse v2.51 Deluxe edition for Win98SE, if anybody's interested in it.
Here's the address, feel free to join:
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/mozillasrevenge/
I'll keep updating the group as much as possible over the next couple of days, and then I'm done! Purged of the files!!!
Phew!

Posted by: Stefan
Date: June 11, 2002 02:17AM

Regarding that yahoo site, anyway to make it viewable without having to be registed?

Date: June 11, 2002 02:58AM

>Regarding that yahoo site, anyway to make it viewable without having to be registed?

You have to have a Yahoo! email address, however when you create one it doesn't have to contain real information if you don't want to, plus when you join my Yahoo! group, your email address and other information are not viewable by anyone, as I've turned that option off. The members list is off-limits in other words ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.