General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: How Many Windows 98 Users Are There Here?
Posted by: Geek Dude
Date: August 24, 2006 04:19AM
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 98er
Date: August 25, 2006 04:15AM

I have not as I have dial up that has a 4 hour at a time limit.
That makes my downloads limited to approximately 80
to 100 MB at a time. Does anyone know if these can
be downloaded separately? What is that patch for?
The homepage mentions a patch for the power pack
http://www.jimmsta.com/
This kernel update has been mentioned before here
http://www.msfn.org/board/?showtopic=71476
It was very new then. Has been updated.
Anyone have experience with it?

Posted by: Dick
Date: August 26, 2006 07:20PM

HI-

I use WIN98SE and have for years.

(Note - I got an 'access denied' message when I tried the link)

Posted by: Dick
Date: August 26, 2006 07:21PM

Hi-

I use WIN98SE and have for years. As long as the computer last, I will continue to use it whether supported by B.G. or not. It's still a fine OS.

(Note - I got an 'access denied' message when I tried the link)

Dick

Posted by: Proxifier
Date: August 27, 2006 04:53AM

Dick, it is strange. Both links work fine here at this moment. Perhaps it might
work if you tried a proxy. Here you can find links to almost 1000 working
proxies. Let us know if it works.

Posted by: Proxifier
Date: August 27, 2006 04:55AM

Yes I know. I forgot the link. http://proxy.org/
http://proxy.org/

Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: August 27, 2006 12:37PM

Just paste the link in the address bar.

Posted by: Culpeper
Date: August 31, 2006 01:02AM

This week was my last installed version of W98 (Win98SE). Hard drive failure and the previous dual boot of Win98 and SuSE Linux led me to the decision to leave out Win98 all together on the replacement hard drive. But of course I still have WinXP on the main machine and thus still using K-meleon browser. When are we going to see K-meleon ported for Linux? Linux is the obvious choice when replacing Windows 98 and you don't want to fork out the bucks for the latest release of Windows. There is no way I'm going to purchase a license to use WinXP or Vista for this second old machine. Firefox and SeaMonkey are ported for Linux and there is no reason why K-Meleon should not do the same. KM has reached the 1.x mark so it is time to sprout an extra set of wings. Or not?

Posted by: kes
Date: August 31, 2006 06:27AM

I still use 98SE on my portable - very happy with it.

I just came across K-Meleon, and my first impression is great! Lightning speed, (compared to Firefox and Opera) which is exactly what I am looking for this little machine.

However I am having probs settling in - the automatic import of 'Netscape' bookmarks is failing to find my Firefox bookmarks, and comes up with some out of date bookmarks. (Bookmarks are important for me - you have not moved to a new browser until your bookmarks are moved!)

Is there a manual way I can take my Firefox 'bookmark.html' and put it into -- where?
(I have read the K-Meleon user guide, but the scenario there is not panning out for me - I do not get asked to locate my bookmarks file.

Anyone?

Posted by: rmn
Date: August 31, 2006 07:00AM

kes,

I can't check right now, but I think you can do it somewhere in Edit -> Preferences -> Plugins -> Bookmarks -> Configure. This will cause K-Meleon to use that bookmark file (it doesn't copy the file). I suggest you backup the file first, in case there is a problem.

You can also simply copy the file to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\K-Meleon\default\********.slt\

Posted by: Fred
Date: August 31, 2006 07:06AM

In version 0.9.13 your user profile is in the K-Meleon main folder
following profiles-->default-->xxxxxxxx.slt (=random string).
Replace the bookmarks in this folder by a copy of your original
bookmarks (or keep this copy in a safe place and use the original ones).

In version 1.0.1 your user profile is usually in
C://documents....../username/application data/K-Meleon
To see the path go to Edit/Preferences/General/Directories Settings.
Put your bookmarks there, replacing the default ones.

Fred

Posted by: Fred
Date: August 31, 2006 07:08AM

Parallel answers, same time ): .

Fred

Posted by: kes
Date: August 31, 2006 07:26AM

Parallel thanks to both of you (rmn, Fred), I will have another go.

kes

Posted by: [r4]
Date: August 31, 2006 09:51PM

Yep, me too. I'm currently using Win98SE USP2.1b on a machine that's almost one year old. And guess what? Everything is working just fine smiling smiley

I was just wondering whether Mozilla engine will be supported in the future, and so K-Meleon?

Posted by: drogoman
Date: September 03, 2006 05:17AM

I just discover K-meleon surfing on the web cause my sister have an old PC, 200mhz with 64 mb of RAM with windows 98, first I try with firefox but it takes a lot of time to open, even with firefox preloader, my first impresion of k- meleon is "that's a excelent browser", realy the best browser for legacy PC is very fast, with the preloader takes only 2 secconds to open, even faster than IE6 I hope k- meleon always be faster as today.
Sorry my english, I'm from Perú

Posted by: Nick
Date: August 15, 2007 08:47PM

Some may think this is an old thread to bring up but I have a reason. My Hotlist
will not work in the newest KM. How many others with any operating system cannot
get your Hotlist, Bookmarks or Favorites to function. The Plugins cannot be
activated. This is a problem I am having with Win 98. But I have noticed in these
forums that the problem exists also with Win 2000 and XP.

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 16, 2007 12:17PM

Hotlist has had a problem due to a recent change by Opera.

This problem is AFAIK fixed with the recent update to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-DE; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070727 K-Meleon/1.1.2

Just in case You are are effected from that: update to that version.

p. s. The devs do not have active Win98 users to test.
Maybe users of the older Windows OS should be more active to support each other and the devs - since they cannot expect that ppl with other OS version to do it for them. XP users just can not know unless they had had other OS in the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 12:19PM by guenter.

Posted by: Will
Date: August 22, 2007 06:07AM

I'm using 98se + patches and Km 1.1.2 works ok

Posted by: Nuntaro
Date: August 23, 2007 01:41PM

I from pleasure notify that I have not intention also to change seat from win98 on different system Windows winking smiley On second HDD I have cdlinux.pl (Polish distribution basing on Debian Sid).

Posted by: a big frog thats died
Date: August 23, 2007 07:05PM

ah right so now we know why there are so many machines used as spambots and why so many people are hacked etc - to the person who said "I wouldnt use xp if you paid me" - isnt that just because you are too lazy to learn something new?
Because win 98 is so inherently insecure that anyone who is still using FAT or FAT32 needs their head examined and their needs to iactually have a clue about the security that fornats such as NTFS offers over and above FAT.
The fact is by using DOS and 98 arent you just making it easier for people to propogate malware all over the internet?

Posted by: zeronero
Date: August 24, 2007 11:51PM

Suggest looking at Fred's K-Meleon-NX 1816 post toward top of general forum page. Or this: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/UKmeleon . HTH, Regards, ZN

Posted by: W98user
Date: August 25, 2007 07:03PM

FYI -- All

I am running Windows 98.

And this browser, unlike some, actually WORKS very well!

W98user
Happy! PTL!

Posted by: LBMixPro
Date: August 26, 2007 02:56AM

I still run Win98 on most of my machines. (Win98 Revolutions 7 on this one). As long as most of the apps that run on WinXP can still run Win98, it'll still be a useful OS. Most people who still use Win98 know how to use computers enough to be aware of places that may cause viruses and spyware, Win98 users are not the main reason why malware gets probigated. Also, there's so much unneeded overhead in the NTFS filesystem, that I do not install it on my XP machines. XP is secure enough to allow FAT32 to with no problems.

Date: August 26, 2007 04:49PM

K-Meleon Browser Technical Question -- for any and all
(if this is not the right forum spot for this then please direct me, thanx)

Windows 98 IE has this option:
Internet Options > Security > Custom Level > Downloads > File download > Disable

Does K-Meleon have the option to turn OFF all download capability?

W98user
STOPPING DOWNLOADING

Posted by: Steven
Date: August 27, 2007 03:03AM

Greetings W98user. I also am a Win 98 user. I am curious. Can you please state the
reason that K-Meleon downloading capabilities is a problem. I see why you would want
to disable the function in Internet Explorer. Problems of very malicious objects
trying to trick the computer user into downloading them are rampant when using
Internet Explorer. I do not believe this to be a problem with K-Meleon. This is only
partly due to the fact of it using the Gecko engine as it is more secure than
Firefox and all others. But I am sure someone more technically proficient will soon
also answer your post.

Date: August 27, 2007 05:06AM

Steven wrote:
Can you please state the
reason that K-Meleon downloading capabilities is a problem.

Hi Steven,

I do not know that this is a problem.

I am just technically curious and security curious.

I realize, and I am glad, that there is a alternative browser engine technology.

So if anyone can answer and explain how the download feature can be "disabled" on a Gecko engine that would be interesting.

Also, comment on Windows 98... If you have something that works, and you have other programms that work on that platform, why not keep using it? In other words, why get every new thing that comes along when it is not necessary. Or said again, why not wait for something new you really want or like, etc. Which brings us to the subject of Microsoft Vista SP1...

W98user
THANX FOR YOUR REPLY

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 27, 2007 08:41PM

@ W98user

I am not sure if disable of the download can be done, but for security I do the following. Go to EDIT - PREFRENCES - DOWNLOAD and look in the section "When Saving". I check the box for "Ask to open/save the files" and also choose "Prompt for location". That gives me some control what is downloaded and where it placed on my computer.

Date: August 28, 2007 03:46AM

JamesD wrote
I am not sure if disable of the download can be done, but for security I do the following. Go to EDIT - PREFRENCES - DOWNLOAD and look in the section "When Saving".

Thanx for the observation. I have already noticed that section, but I, like you, did not see any "Disable Download" option there.

So does one such GUI option exist in K-Meleon?

W98user
TO DOWNLOAD OR TO STOP A DOWNLOAD (that is the question)

Posted by: Will
Date: August 29, 2007 07:14AM

I find it funny that some user claimed 98 machines are hosts to malware, when in fact, anyone still using 98 is probably more versed in security/vulnerabilities/patches than 60% of XP users.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: August 31, 2007 07:17AM

Count me in, I also use Win98 at home, with LitePak but still using 98 Explorer.
And still on dialup.
Running 175Mhz Pentium I, overclocked to 200Mhz with a whopping 64MB RAM!
And Happy! Takes care of anything I need.
I have XP Pro at work, it's not nearly as horrible as the consumer version, which I would not want to use. I'd switch to Mac or other Linux first.

Kmeleon does load faster than FF. but for me, I don't care because both would load faster than it takes to get a connection. so I use a script written in PowerPro that starts my dialup connection and then launches KM with no special loader required, and then when the connection is made, loads the home page. this saves even more time for dialup users than using the preloader because all of the time that used to be wasted waiting for the modem to connect is now used for browser start up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2007 07:22AM by snuz2.

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.