General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Bookmarks Problem
Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 11, 2002 10:57PM

K-meleon is not saving new added bookmarks after I close it. I just noticed the problem recently. It has the bookmarks that I've previously made and when I add new ones, they appear, but when I close K-meleon and restart it, the new ones have disappeared. What's up with that? Anyone know how I can fix this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmarks Problem
Posted by: Mark
Date: June 12, 2002 02:33AM

Hm... Though the bookmarks plugin in 0.6 is known to have a lot of bugs, I wasn't aware of that particular problem. My first reaction is to tell you that it's most likely fixed in the next release, but...

To be clear, we are talking about the NS Boookmarks, and not IE Favorites? Sorry to ask, but people tend to mix up the names -- understandable, as they do essentially the same thing. Did you let the bookmarks plugin create a new bookmarks file, or are you using your old file from NS or Mozilla? Like I said, I've never heard of this problem, and I can't really think of what might cause it (other than silly things like the bookmarks file is set to read-only or some such).

Oh, (having reread what you said) are you saying that it used to work but now doesn't? You wouldn't happen to have a ridiculously large number of bookmarks, would you? 0.6 has a limit on the number of bookmarks you can save, which *might* be your problem.

And you can always try reinstalling KM. :-)

Posted by: Steven
Date: June 12, 2002 03:11AM

I'm using the IE favorites plug-in & sometimes they also vanish after a re-start. I've noticed this seems to correspond to unusual characters in the names of the HTM page's title tag like a colon. I've learned that if I want to keep a favorites shortcut to a page that has a colon in the title, I have to make it manually. It's a bother, but not enough to make me ever consider going back to IE.

On a related topic, if I attempt to actually use a favorites shortcut before I close & re-start K-Meleon, it not only fails to navigate to the address in question, but it also seems to destroy the shortcut when I close K-Meleon. Odd, isn't it? Oh well, I'm coping. One more thing: every sentence in this paragraph begins with an "O" word.

Posted by: po
Date: June 12, 2002 04:58AM

verily, the IE favorites plugin does weird things as described. i'm guessing it's a tricky thing to get working really well, since it tries to interface with proprietary windoze stuff. for anyone not using IE (or the internet favorites from any explorer window) i would recommend switching over to the bookmarks plugin after the next release, since it's had a lot of work put into it lately and should be very nice by the time 0.7 is ready...

Date: June 12, 2002 05:15AM

I use the Bookmarks not IE Favorites plugin. I checked to see if it was a case of too many bookmarks by trying to delete one. Again, the same thing happened, I deleted it but after I closed K-meleon and restarted it, the bookmark reappeared, so apparently it's not saving any changes made to the bookmarks file. I'm using a bookmarks file located in K-meleon's directory, and I checked to see if it was read only and it was not...so I'm at a loss.I'll try copying the bookmarks file, putting it in another location within the directory and see if it makes a difference otherwise it looks like one of those problems that can only be solved by an uninstall and reinstall. What a pain!

Date: June 12, 2002 05:30AM

Weird. When I checked before to see if the Bookmarks file was read only, no check mark was next to the read only box or any other box while K-meleon was still open. Having gone back to copy the Bookmark file while K-meleon was closed I checked again and a check mark was now in read only, so that apparently was the problem 'cause after I unchecked it, the bookmarks are now being saved. The Bookmarks file now defaults to being classified as an archive file, which I guess is correct since all is well.

Posted by: po
Date: June 12, 2002 07:12AM

almost all files get the 'archive' attribute... i believe it's in the verb, not noun, sense, and is just a flag for software that might be curious about things like whether or not to back it up or whatever.

beats me why it would have been flagged 'read only'... (mumble... shrug...)

Posted by: Mark
Date: June 12, 2002 12:08PM

Steven, those problems should be fixed in the next release, I believe. I know the first (weird chars) is, and I have a feeling the second is as well, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: Rob Vonk
Date: June 12, 2002 01:55PM

Can you check if there's still a part of k-meleon running after you closed it (using the taskmanager)? Do you have the faststart option enabled?

I remember having simular problems and it seemed that k-meleon left some process running after i closed it.

Date: June 12, 2002 03:13PM

Actually, the problem did start once I started enabling the faststart/loader option. But I didn't think that had anything to do with it since I've used that in the past without problems. I also made sure that I exited out of that and all other things K-meleon by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete, because sometimes K-meleon likes to stay open even after you've closed it. I'm still enabling the faststart option and I'll see if the Bookmark file starts being classified on its own as read only again. The Bookmarks are much improved in the beta 0.65 but I don't use it 'cause I can't get the latest build to recognize visited links or my macro settings which I've copied directly from 0.6. So, I'll just wait until 0.7 arrives and read its new documentation.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.