General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Clicking on some links/buttons nothing happens?
Posted by: Baz
Date: June 11, 2002 11:49PM

I use K-Meleon as my main browser but why is it on some sites when clicking on links or navigation bars and buttons nothing seems to happen, but if I use MS Int Explorer they work. Sometimes get a message about Java applets can anybody help or explain.
Baz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clicking on some links/buttons nothing happens?
Posted by: Steven
Date: June 12, 2002 03:27AM

I'm not an expert or anything, but in my brief experience with K-Meleon I've learned it doesn't seem to support many javascript conventions like many scripts that are intended to launch a pop-up window. This could be part of what's happening in your case. You may also come accross a page that's moved & has a message explaining the new URL & that says something to the effect of "Click here if you're not automatically forwarded in xx seconds", this is usually a meta-refresh tag which also doesn't seem to work in K-Meleon.

What's more, either my copy is configured unusually, or K-Meleon doesn't have Java intergrated by default. That would mean applets are out of the question, but that's not a huge problem for me since I find applets to be a bit hostile for my liking anyway.

FYI: Javascript & Java are different things, so fixing one of these issues won't cover it all.

I've usually got some means of working around just about any Javascript roadblocks, but I'm hoping the impending new version won't inherit these flaws. In the meantime you might try pulling-up the Resources section ( http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/resources/ ) & download those Java runtime environments, that might help with some of your applet problems.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: June 15, 2002 02:02PM

I expect the javascript issues will clear up fairly well, but perhaps not entirely. I've been switching to Mozilla for some problem pages, but there are a few things that only Netscape can get me through - and it's the old 4.76!
I agree about java hostility. I am not one of those who believe that the internet is going to become a java playground. Too much like unsafe sex with overtones of rape.

Posted by: Steven
Date: June 16, 2002 07:25AM

Arual the Wyrd, I like that name. It seems like something with some mythical significance, what's the story?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.