General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Memory cache optimum size?
Posted by: polo
Date: June 18, 2002 09:30AM

The default size is 1024 K. Is there a recommended size for 64 MB RAM and 128 MB RAM please? Would it depend what else you are running? Normally I am running K-M (2 or 3 windows open), a MS-DOS window, Explorer (file), Notepad, Resource Meter (resources do go dooooown to 0% after a while) and DUN.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Memory cache optimum size?
Posted by: D.Lawrence
Date: June 18, 2002 01:02PM

Correct me if I mis-speak here. My understanding is since the browser cache is not the same as virtual memory, that it is not dependent upon the system memory size but is instead more of a function of hard drive space, how much browsing you do, and how quickly you want revisited/refreshed pages to be displayed. In practice I never really notice a lot of difference with "large" cache sizes vs. that default but then again, I haven't properly studied it either.

What I have noticed though is that as more KM windows are opened and closed, the memory isn't "recovered" immediately. Sounds like a memory leak but it eventually settles out regardless of how many windows were opened. I observed this with the preview Netscape 7 also; both on a Win2K Pro workstation. KM 0.6 by the way used slightly more memory but I figure that is because it is not using the new Mozilla?/Gecko? stuff. Given that, I would say that virtual memory is more important here than cache.

Also by the way, Netscape and IE put the cache in NT/2000 user profiles, and therefore bloat as those browsers are used. For roaming profiles this becomes annoying. Netscape (7, and before?) does allow you to put it where you want but you have to know to do it. KM puts it on the hard drive - but I don't think it is secure on NT/2000 workstations... or is it?

Posted by: polo
Date: June 18, 2002 02:23PM

One thing I noticed with K-M's cache folder is the files are _all_ just of type "File". In Netscape you had TXT, HTML, GIF, JPEG, etc and File.

Posted by: Rick Zehr
Date: June 28, 2002 02:16PM

Here's better-performing approach that I ran with 128MB with W2K for a while. Get the (free sample code) ramdisk from Microsoft, and set it up to give 6-8Mb.

Point the K-M cache to the ramdisk, and set the maximum disk cache to less than the ramdisk size. Set the Memory Cache to 1K, because 0K will cause Mozilla's HTTPS support to malfunction.

If you buy some more memory and get to more than 128MB, you can set the ramdisk up as big as 32MB (1FFFFFF in the registry settings). If you do so, go to System Properties / Environment Variables and set all TMP and TEMP references to point to the ramdisk. This will pep up anything that uses temporary files - a lot. You can also pep up IE and Netscape by pointing their cache files to the ramdrive.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.