K-Meleon on Windows 95
Posted by: BenoitRen
Date: August 14, 2006 03:30PM

I'm running Windows 95 OSR 2.5, IE-free. Here's my experience of K-Meleon 1.0 on it.

After clicking the Finish button on the installer, K-Meleon doesn't start. Fine, whatever. I try to start K-Meleon with the desktop shortcut. It wants SHLWAPI.DLL. Fine, I extract it from the cabinet files. Then, K-Meleon runs. Damn, did it load fast! Almost in the blink of an eye. This is on a Pentium II 233 Mhz PC with 160 MB RAM.

Interface seemed a little messy. I thought it'd just be something to get used to it. Then I notice that the menu labels are made of garble. Clicking on them doesn't do anything.

At least I could browse. Good. I view the Windows 98 thread on here, right-click on the link to the text file since it's one of those "copy to URL bar" kind of deals, and K-Meleon crashes. I looked at the details, and it says it's related to some M$ Visual C++ 7.1 DLL. WTF?

For those who don't know, Visual C++ 7 and 8 don't support Win9x. This is why SeaMonkey and Firefox are still compiled with Visual C++ 6. So it baffles me that K-Meleon advertises itself as being compatible with Win9x, when it's compiled with a compiler that isn't.

I started K-Meleon again, right-click on a link, and again, it crashes, with the same information. I'll probably try to compile K-Meleon myself with Visual C++ 6 some time.

Re: K-Meleon on Windows 95
Posted by: guenter
Date: August 14, 2006 03:50PM

You need to update certain files - else it can be system specific.
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=FAQ#install1
there read: Troubleshooting

ppl here are using it with win 9.x - e. g. me with win ME

Date: August 14, 2006 04:32PM

I've extracted the two missing files from the vcredist.exe file:

mfc42.dll
msvcirt.dll

However, the text on the menus is still garbled and it still crashes.

I've taken a look at the build documentation. I've built SeaMonkey myself, but I don't understand K-Meleon's procedure...

Date: August 14, 2006 06:21PM

The built documentation is AFAIK outdated.
I am no dev & do not know how to build. I know from mail that Dorian builds a patched
SeaMonkey. k-m uses parts of it as GRE. Additionally k-meleon.exe and plugins are build. Then all is placed together with the k-m specific *.cfg and js files
which are in defaults (folder) ./pref and ./profile and in skins folder
( i can place parts together so that k-m works ;-) that is all ) .

With a k-meleon 1.0 You can also use unpatched SeaMonkey parts downloaded from Mozilla.org or use unpatched SeaMOnkey but that gives You 2 extra bugs
( You can even run 1.0 with xulrunner or dr. orca/avant, a non static FFox GRE ).
If You want to build You would IMHO only try to make adaptions so that k-m.exe is build with the compiler You want ( 1.0 kplugins should work with all 1.0.exe ).

There are several older threads about Windows 95 problems.

maybe try with newer win 98
COMDLG32.DLL
in k-m folder. (can be googled and downloaded).

Posted by: vpowell
Date: August 14, 2006 10:02PM

I also know nothing about building K-M
but I saw some info on:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=2&i=4658&t=4658

Posted by: vpowell
Date: August 14, 2006 10:18PM

on the wiki there are two sets of build info:

a newer one updated Tue Apr 11 02:14:23 2006
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=BuildTools

and a much older one updated May 15, 2002
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/build.php

The person who would know most would probably be Dorian

Date: August 14, 2006 10:28PM

Al updated the old links in 2006.

it says: "copied to the wiki and roughly edited (not tested yet) by kmbr4711."
kmbr4711 has last posted in forum 2004

Posted by: Dorian
Date: August 15, 2006 03:10PM

This have nothing to do with VC7. See: http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=6976&t=6976

Date: August 15, 2006 07:58PM

Thanks vpowell, that got me to a .mozconfig file I could use.

Thanks Dorian, renaming the two .DLL files fixed everything. It runs just fine now. Though I would still like your help with building K-Meleon in the Development forum. smiling smiley

Posted by: Randy J. Anderson
Date: August 20, 2006 08:29PM

I don't believe that's correct. MSVxx 7.1 seemed to be fine under Windows 98 SE.

Posted by: 888
Date: August 25, 2006 03:14AM

BenoitRen, I had same problem last year when I installed KM on Win95 first time. Search thru my posts (there are few only) and you'll find the thread.

Posted by: Eepo
Date: September 03, 2006 10:03AM

Try this!

Quote from an older thread:

Decided to take a different tack. Fired up k-meleon.exe. Immediately obvious nothing different in W95 with the previously two offending plugins. Entered

about:config

on the URL entry bar. Typed the Enter key. Entered

u.l

on the Filter bar. Double-clicked kmeleon.plugins.bmpmenu.load and entered

false

on the Enter boolean value bar. Clicked OK. Double-clicked kmeleon.plugins.rebarmenu.load and entered

false

on the Enter boolean value bar. Clicked OK.

Closed k-meleon.exe and restarted it. Toodled around and I have to observe that it is a perfectly fine W95 browser even with those two plugins disabled. No blank or indiscernible entries on any of the menus.

Posted by: Culpeper
Date: September 08, 2006 05:14AM

Christ! Is anyone using Windows 3.1 with KM?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.