address bar
Posted by: Dyle
Date: July 03, 2002 12:26AM

Anyone know how to change or get rid of the "URL:" text beside the address bar? I just want to take it out to save space smiling smiley Tried reshacking the exe file but it wasn't there. IF i somehow missed it, can someone tell me where it is? thanks!

Re: address bar
Posted by: Steven
Date: July 05, 2002 08:30AM

I tried the very same thing & I've not had any luck either. I mostly want it gone because it's useless -- I'm a long time web nerd & I know exactly what an address bar is used for. I don't rememebr anyone responding to my question about this, so I thought even having someone share your pain is better than being ignored...

Posted by: po
Date: July 05, 2002 08:46AM

i don't think you were being igored... i think you stumped everybody. winking smiley

Date: July 06, 2002 02:25AM

Good point, I didn't mean to imply rudeness on anyone's part here. Everyone's been amazingly helpful & friendly.

Posted by: Nick
Date: July 06, 2002 05:20PM

OK, I looked at that. You can use an HEX editor to remove it safely. Open up the kmeleon.exe (after making a copy, of course,) and do a search for -> URL: Replace each WORD with 00.

All works great... I am glad you thought of the idea, as I hate superfluous 'additions' like this also.

Nick

Date: July 06, 2002 05:23PM

Dang!!!!

Nick

Date: July 06, 2002 05:25PM

OK, shall I post in the 'BUGS' section...

;-) heh

Nick

Posted by: Dyle
Date: July 06, 2002 07:33PM

Great! Thanks Nick! Never thought of using a hex editor to check this. I'll add this to the first things that i'm gonna do after i finish reinstalling windows. (Installed linuxe recently and i somehow managed to wipe out my windows partiion, without backing it up ---doh!) Thank again for the great tip smiling smiley

Date: July 06, 2002 11:39PM

OK, I just re-read my post. May be mis-leading.

WORD = double byte; for U R L : each character of the set needs replacing with 00.

Not the 'word' URL.

So, do a search for URL:, and replace the double byte value with 00 for each char of URL:.

Ummm. Geez. This is hard to explain.

Nick

Posted by: Mark
Date: July 07, 2002 12:14AM

To make things even more clear and complicated:

They're not words, they're just bytes. Each zero is a nibble, a hex digit, four bits... So 00 is just the null byte.

In short:
Replace each character in "URL:" with the null character, which has a hex value of 00.

For those looking for a hex editor, XVI32 does the trick. It's a small, free, simple, fast (all qualities we like around here ;-) hex editor.

Date: July 07, 2002 02:37AM

I love you guys.

Posted by: Mark
Date: July 07, 2002 03:12AM

BTW, Nick, your screenshot inspired me to finally customize my [menu|url|bookmark|tool]bars. Especially how you removed some menus - I just hadn't thought of that before. Thanks!

So now I've got a lovely setup with the QNX toolbar buttons, Stephen Bishop's throbber (the big K), only the essential menus/buttons, and a very nice vertical gradient as the toolbar background (fade from light at top to dark at bottom - very pleasing to the eyes). Unfortunately, there's still not *quite* enough space to put everything in one bar (my poor little laptop only does 800x600)...

Re: address bar & other things
Date: July 07, 2002 12:01PM

"They're not words, they're just bytes. Each zero is a nibble, a hex digit, four bits... So 00 is just the null byte."

Yea, it was late here ;-). I use a HEXed that came with the now defunct SynEdit, and that orders all data as doubles:

00FE CCB9 9F00 etc. I am going to try again and see if I can insert an image... there appears to be a bug with the img tags.

BTW, one of the first things I done with KM was remove the extra (unused) menu items... a short, slick toolbar, with max screen available for a (web) page now.

Nick

Date: July 07, 2002 12:03PM

OK, there is a bug. My first guessimate is that the code parses the 'i' in the [i m g] TAG first as an italic TAG, and then goes AWOL when there isn't a closed 'i' tag.

Nick

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.