General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Can't make it work
Posted by: vineyridge
Date: July 04, 2002 02:16AM

I'm a programming virgin. I had K-Meleon working on my computer, when I reformatted my C-Drive and reinstalled Windows 98.

I installed Netscape 4, then downloaded K-Meleon. I have never set up IE, and probably never will, but it was installed before the reformat.

Now when I try and run K-Meleon, I get a message saying the program is linked to:
missing export MFC42.DLL.6491.

The browser won't open at all.

What do I do to get it back? I hate ads, so I'm not at all fond of Netscape 6.2, which takes forever to load, and really doesn't work very well. Too many sites now don't work with my 4.7, and I'd die before using IE regularly.

Need my K-Meleon to work. Please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can't make it work
Posted by: po
Date: July 04, 2002 02:48AM

you need to update the mfc42.dll from the one supplied with stock win98... you can do this without having to update to a new version of IE by following directions here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#trouble1

Date: July 04, 2002 02:27PM

I'm not using NT. I'm using Win98 !st Ed. So I don't think the updated library will work.

The DLL is on CAB 54 of the Win98 CD. I can easily put it somewhere, but I'm not sure where or how to make if functional. I could move it into the Windows System folder or into Windows, but how will the "system" know it's there.

I do have a very old version of IE that hasn't been updated. I think it's 4. I could download the IE 5 common control library mentioned in y'alls faqs.

Would that work?

Posted by: Brian
Date: July 04, 2002 07:40PM

It WILL work. Copy newer version of MFC42.DLL to C:\Windows\System and replace the old version.
heres a copy of the latest file
http://www.dll-files.com/files/mfc42.zip
cheers
Brian

That's not the answer, either
Date: July 05, 2002 03:14AM

I have the file in my Windows System folder.

The one I downloaded has an older date than the one that came with my Win98. I renamed the original one and copied the unzipped downloaded DLL to the Windows System.

K-Meleon still thinks the file is missing.

Date: July 05, 2002 08:42AM

i think maybe you need to register that one, and not just copy it, but i'm not positive. you might try it, though...

Date: July 05, 2002 08:25PM

So how would I go about "registering" the file? mcf42.dll.6491

If I could learn to do that, it would certainly be a very useful addition to my Windows knowledge.

Date: July 05, 2002 09:20PM

at the runbox or a command line, type:

REGSVR32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MFC42.DLL

(assuming that's actually the correct path, in your case).

i suspect you could even just drag-and-drop the .dll onto regsvr32.exe in explorer, if that's more convenient, although i'm not positive it works.

in any case, i hope that solves your problem.

Re: Can't make it work--still can't find MFC42.dll.6491
Date: July 06, 2002 09:50PM

I have run the suggested language in the Run box.

K-meleon didn't know it was there.

Uninstalled K-Meleon, shut down, and reinstalled it. K-Meleon still can't find the device.

Will K-Meleon only work over a functional IE? Netscape 6.2 works but it's so slow to load. And so many websites now have problems with Netscape 4.7, that I need to move to something else--but NOT IE ever!

If K-Meleon needs IE, I will have to make an IE work. Then maybe use IEradicator?

Will K-Meleon work after IE is removed from Win 98?

Date: July 07, 2002 02:19AM

i use k-meleon on win98 that's been IEradicated - it works fine.

mostly it just needs those updated libraries... and i seem to remember some talk about maybe trying to reduce some of these dependencies in future versions... is that still a possibility, developer people?

Re: Can't make it work--still can't find MFC42.dll.6491
Posted by: Gary
Date: July 26, 2002 03:17AM

Did anyone make any headway with this problem? I'm trying to install on a Lite98 box, and I'm getting the same error. Copying the DLL file and registering it does nothing. ?!

Posted by: Al.
Date: July 26, 2002 06:23AM

"Did anyone make any headway with this problem? I'm trying to install on a Lite98 box, and I'm getting the same error. Copying the DLL file and registering it does nothing. ?!"

The mfc42.dll has to be the Win98 Second Edition version, not the First Edition version (just in case there was some confusion there). If you plonk the mfc42.dll into you windows\system folder, then use the regsvr32 command, it should work correctly. Alternatively, you could use the following application to register the dll correctly. It's basically a GUI to the regsvr32 command line:
http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=1422

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.