General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
KM on the network
Posted by: David
Date: July 16, 2002 08:04PM

I searched the archives and found a couple of posts that looked similar to my problem, but the solutions there offered don't seem to apply and/or don't work.

This is an MS Win2K pro setup, with a Win2k server.

I tried installing KM (0.6.5 B387, though that's probably not important) on a network resource so it would be available on other machines on the net, without having to install it on the local drive at each machine. When I try to start KM from any machine other than the one on which it was first installed (on which I have admin privileges, which I don't on the others), I get several dialog boxes announcing new plugins and asking if I want to load them, followed by one which reports "No menu" and then one which advises me "Error! Could not get the menu." And sure enough, there's no menu, nor can KM find my bookmarks.

One thread on this forum

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=4&i=841&t=841

suggests that a similar symptom results from KM's inability to find its own profile, presumably saved in \Documents and Settings on the local drive. I've looked for something containing kmeleon and k-meleon on the home machine's local drive, but found nothing that looks like it's responsible.

Launching KM with the command line

H:\pers\dist\KM-387\k-meleon.exe -P Default

has no effect on this.

What am I doing wrong here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KM on the network
Posted by: Andrew
Date: July 16, 2002 08:26PM

David,

The K-Meleon profile is stored in the Program files directory not under Documents and Settings. I understand what you are trying to do. I'm not sure the app can do this currently. But I'll test it and see.

Andrew

Posted by: Robert
Date: July 17, 2002 05:07PM

Andrew wrote:

> But I'll test it and see.
Yes, Please. I'm fighting with this problem too.

Robert

Posted by: D.Rider
Date: July 18, 2002 01:02PM

How about a logon script to copy the necessary files into the necessary folder? Each account would have own set of files and settings and would be written to the folder when logging on. Only problem I see would be security and privacy on the local hd. (BTW, this is the way I do it for NS 4 on OS/2 on our network)

Posted by: Robert
Date: July 19, 2002 10:39AM

I win the fight :-)

I installed k-meleon on a network drive (n:\k-meleon). After the first start, k-meleon created a default-profile, (n:\k-meleon\profiles\default\...) and the file profiles.dat

Every user has a home-directory at the network. I mapped a drive at this home-directory: (ksmiling smiley

I copied the k-meleon-program-folder to my home-directory (k:\k-meleon). I deleted all files and folders in the profile-folder and started k-meleon. After this start, k-meleon created a default-profile, (k:\k-meleon\profiles\default\...) and the file profiles.dat. I copied this file to the profile-folder at drive n (n:\k-meleon\profiles).

Now, any user can start k-meleon from drive n and it works with the profile at drive k!

Robert

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.