Bookmarks Problems?
Posted by: Raven
Date: July 18, 2002 02:25PM

Hi folks

I'm encountering some serious problems here.
I used both NS 4 and IE 5.5, then changed to K-Meleon.
Now I want to work with bookmarks.
The Plugins work for -use-, but it won't save new ones or let me edit it, it just won't accept the changes.
When I edit IE bookmarks from within IE, I even need to reboot for K-Meleon to show the changes in it's menu.

Can't I just somehow make a new bookmark file with K-Meleon that will actually -work- AND be editeable? -_- kind of annoying this way (this way meaning editing both bookmarks by hand, for NS bookmarks meaning with notepad since i deinstalled it)

Win98 S.E. system if you want to know.

Re: Bookmarks Problems?
Posted by: der bric
Date: July 18, 2002 02:53PM

same here.... I cant add bookmarks to subfolders, KM only saves them to the root folder, and I cant even move them to another folder afterwards... have to edit the bookmarks file manually, really annoying :-/

Posted by: Andrew
Date: July 18, 2002 02:56PM

Raven,

Would you be willing to test this with the new beta? Bookmarks is probably the biggest change in the new version and these problems might not even be an issue.

Andrew

Date: July 18, 2002 03:10PM

Andrew: Sure thing, where can I get it?

I read the "old" thread of this and before you all ask:
File is never ever read-only, Problem exists with -and- without loader.exe
When I'm really lucky, it works once a day for a few secs.

Date: July 18, 2002 03:19PM

forgot: raven@ravens-corner.de winking smiley or icq71786491

Posted by: Mark
Date: July 18, 2002 03:33PM

Raven, I think that "when you're really lucky," you're just imagining it works. ;-) If I recall correctly, the bookmarks plugin in 0.6 doesn't save any changes you make, plain and simple. The new one does.

Date: July 18, 2002 03:39PM

Mark, I might be a fairy or something, but I really managed to delete two bookmarks winking smiley

Safe that, it doesn't work. Where can I get the new one??

Date: July 18, 2002 04:35PM

-_- Bookmarks on the new build work nearly nice.

Exception: One can't drag a bookmark into a new folder but has to insert an empty one in it first so it can "open". Maybe that could be fixed.

Anyway: Is it normal that the new build doesn't -work-? Cause it tries to open a page, (transferring data etc) but stays white.. :/

Posted by: Andrew
Date: July 18, 2002 04:41PM

Raven,

I'm assuming you have the new build. Make sure to do a clean install and import your bookmark file.

Andrew

Date: July 18, 2002 05:04PM

I'll try again tomorrow.. as far as I could check, that thing above was the only flaw in bookmark editing still left - looks nice.

Date: July 19, 2002 12:48AM

Raven, I added that capability a while ago. I just tested it, and it still works. :-)

Drag anything directly over an empty folder, wait a second, and the folder should pop open, letting you drop the item inside.

Posted by: Ca|ibur
Date: July 19, 2002 01:49AM

Will the bookmark flaw that "der bric" mentioned be fixed in the next version of KM? B/C it is quite annoying (sorry)

Posted by: po
Date: July 19, 2002 04:26AM

> Will the bookmark flaw that "der bric" mentioned be fixed in the next version of KM?

in the version released with the last build, you can set the Add folder, the Toolbar folder, and the Bookmarks Menu folder all seperately, to anything you want.

Posted by: David
Date: July 19, 2002 05:38PM

The bookmarks plugin in the current beta build is a 536% improvement over the old one. I especially like the ease with which a bookmark name can be edited.

I should probably post this in the "improvements" section, but there are still a few things on my wish list:

1. It would be nice to be able to maximize the Edit window. It can't even be sized. In the previous version, this was possible, but it seems to have gotten lost.

2. I'd like to be able to add bookmarks directly into folders, instead of having to add the bookmark, open Edit, and drag them where I want them.

3. The way drag and drop works is a little annoying. You grab the bookmark and drags it to about where it's wanted, hold it over the folder, the folder opens, and you drop it where you want it. This is actually good, I like it better than the Netscape approach, but the folders open too fast! I usually end up with 3 or 4 neighboring folders open before I get to the one where I want the bookmark. Maybe folders could close again when you move the pointer away from them?

Thanks for all your hard work on this! As I said it's a tremendous improvement.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: July 19, 2002 06:09PM

Yeah, K-M can be a little trouble to clean up after in the Favorites - but at least it does get them right when it's restarted (exit/restart loader too). It bugs me a lot less than Mozilly and my two Netscapes. They all share the same out-dated file, and nothing I've done about it so far impresses them. I often keep a text file open to paste URLs and memos, in case... sad smiley Sometimes I type up and save-as-url some precious find.) What, me, paranoid? LOL Opera can be bothersome too.
I quit using the K-M Bookmarks plug some time ago, it seemed like it just got in the way. I'd rather hand-manage the Faves, it's quicker. Not half as bad as sorting out the Start Menu after a lot of inconsiderate installations! My answer to the Bookmark problem was a program that converts the Favorites folder to HTML... made it the Home page for Netscape7. Update whenever I do a Faves rearrange. Blooming nuisance to keep up, but I have it all there when I need it.
I keep a backup of the Favorites folder ever since it got unexpectedly empty once. (80 (The HTML version is a good backup too.)
Can't blame K-M for that! grinning smiley
Well, happy trails. Somewhere just around the corner, there's a new K-Meleon.

Date: July 21, 2002 02:37AM

David, only 536 percent? I'm hurt. (Or rather, I'm being too vain for my own good.)

As for your requests, I already had all three in my to-do list.

1) I did remove the resizing code at one point when I was redoing the edit dialog, and unfortunately it still hasn't made it back in. Sorry about that.

2) Definitely a useful feature. For now, do you know about the "new bookmark folder"? Well, I guess that's not really good enough.

3) I tweaked that delay until it was a good speed for me personally. I actually feel it's a bit slow at times... I'll look at that some more. It might not add too much bloat to just make it configurable.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.