Load speed, something's wrong...
Posted by: Alfonso
Date: July 19, 2002 10:46PM

I've just re-tested 0.6 and it took around 6-7 seconds to launch it in my P2@350.
The new beta does the same job in <2 sec. (no quicklaunch at all)

If it goes this way 0.8 will just start before clicking the icon!
Someone must stop this madness, please add bloat, useless functions, spyware or whatever neccesary to make it a slow browser or everybody will use this little wonder!

Cheers ;-)

Re: Load speed, something's wrong...
Posted by: po
Date: July 20, 2002 02:53AM

Don't worry, i think someone's working on a plugin to correct this behavior.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: July 21, 2002 07:09PM

Yeah the load speed is great and I found the beta before the very last beta release I tried (which was very buggy just on startup alone) to be quite stable. My main problem with using the betas is that no matter what I try I can't get it to recognize visited links which are very important to me since I read alot of news and stories and email that are linked to from a long page of headlines. Visited links work fine in K6. I think it's quite odd that visited links are not part of the main download of K-meleon. Those 2 small dll files can't be considered bloat. Anyway, that and lack of tabbed browsing are the main reasons Kmeleon isn't my default browser.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: July 21, 2002 10:22PM

janj,

Visited links only worked with the downloads we posted. We'll be supplying the proper files separately if it is not included as part of the distribution. I can see the point that it seems like a small amount of files. But remember, these files add no other functionality so they are a lot to add for one feature. I like visited links but we haven't had a ton of people asking for them.

Posted by: po
Date: July 21, 2002 10:55PM

also, keep in mind that the 'bloat' related to the visited links isn't only the additional size of the download, but what they do during runtime, too... there's a whole additional process of maintaining a history.dat file during browsing, resulting in more HDD accessing, and storage space... these are things that people who like to think of k-meleon as a 'lite' browser might rather do without, or at the very least be able to turn off easily.

having said that, i think of k-meleon as my Heavy Duty browser, so i sometimes want that functionality myself... although in the course of using the recent builds, i've gotten kind of used to not having it... hmmm. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.