General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pros and Cons of Symbiotic Loade
Posted by: polo
Date: July 20, 2002 07:05PM

I never installed this, is it good idea please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pros and Cons of Symbiotic Loade
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: July 21, 2002 10:55AM

It gets the lizard up aLOT faster. You're stuck with another perpetual process in your task manager and a little green head on the tray, but the speed can be worth it. I got Mike Lin's TraySaver to compact the mess, mainly because I didn't want to live without the loader. Tried it both ways, opted for speed.

Posted by: polo
Date: July 21, 2002 05:08PM

Gets the lizard up? You mean for the window to appear when you double click k-meleon.exe?

Posted by: Al.
Date: July 22, 2002 03:23AM

"Gets the lizard up? You mean for the window to appear when you double click k-meleon.exe?"

The symbiotic loader loads part of the K-Meleon GUI into memory at system startup, so when you do indeed click on the K-Meleon desktop shortcut, it starts up quicker. Of course you may or may not really need it depending upon your system's memory specs, however generally I'd only recommend it for systems running on 64megs of RAM or less. Anything greater than 64megs, then you're not going to notice a huge difference in load time.

Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: July 22, 2002 02:39PM

Actually, I notice the difference with 128. OK, so I'm impatient.

Posted by: David
Date: July 22, 2002 08:23PM

The downside: when you make a config change, it's one more thing to shut down and restart before the change will take effect. I find that on most systems KM starts fast enough for my purposes without the loader, thanks to its relatively small footprint.

Posted by: Nic
Date: July 23, 2002 03:23AM

if you have a computer like mine then you wont even notice the little amount of memory this loader takes so it doesnt hurt to keep it on. I dont think loader makes any difference to my system - Athlon XP T-Bred 2200+, 1Gb PC-2700 DDR, winXP.

Posted by: Sesh
Date: July 23, 2002 05:22AM

Current beta loading time is so good, I am not even using any loader, ya the first time it takes 1-2 seconds, and every other window after that takes some mill seconds. Great improvement compared to 0.6

Posted by: EdMack
Date: July 24, 2002 12:14AM

I just like having K-Meleon easily openable from the bottom left of my screen smiling smiley It's quicker too.

Pros and Cons of Symbiotic Loade
Posted by: Rick Zehr
Date: July 25, 2002 11:08PM

Here's an even better-performing approach that I ran with 128MB with W2K for a while. Get a ramdisk program (Microsoft offers free sample code for W2K/XP) and set it up to give 6-8Mb.

Point the K-M cache to the ramdisk, and set the maximum disk cache to less than the ramdisk size. Set the Memory Cache to 1K, because 0K will cause K-M's HTTPS support to malfunction.

If you have memory beyond 128MB, you can set the MS ramdisk as big as 32MB (1FFFFFF in the registry settings).

If you do so, go to Windows' System Properties / Environment Variables and set all TMP and TEMP references to point to the ramdisk. This will pep up anything that uses temporary files - a lot. You can also help IE and Netscape by pointing their cache files to the ramdrive.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.