General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
New style popups!!!
Posted by: HeadHolio
Date: November 27, 2001 05:29AM

I was visiting a site with my "Disable popup windows on page load/unload" option checked and BAM i got hit with a popup. I closed the popup and BAM i got hit with another. After some trial and error research I came to the conclusion that it was a popup that was initiated by a mouse over command. Whenever my mouse moved over a certain part of the screen, a popup appeared (although it would only appear to load one popup at a time). Is there a way to disable these type of popups? *Note - turning javascript off did stop the popup from loading. I can foresee all sites going to this type of popup rather than the page load/unload type just to get around us not seeing them. For all those who are interested in testing these new types of popups....here is the address where I found them--> http://www.zeropaid.com/news/read_comments.php?id=11222001a#%3Ca%20href=/php/user.php?uid=27984%3ESperm%3C/a%3E

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New style popups!!!
Date: November 27, 2001 06:19AM

Don't bother trying the URL above. The site has been altered so the popups do not appear anymore although the idea is still there and can be applied.

Posted by: Brian
Date: November 27, 2001 04:47PM

unfortunately that's the way it is. no matter what you do, some @!#$ in the world will find a way to exploit it. Nothing we can do about it.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 27, 2001 05:43PM

I'm not surprised by that. The Mozilla security team had to continue to allow those kinds of pop-ups to allow for sites that generated their child windows. But, I'm sure they are working on a way to block those too.

Andrew

Posted by: Andres
Date: November 27, 2001 07:32PM

The best way to prevent ANY popup windows is to use the Outpost Firewall with its active content prevention plugin enabled. Blocks everything you want. But this means that absolutely NO (even site) popups come up in any browser. I sometimes use that firewall, it's a good one.

Date: November 28, 2001 10:18AM

Why would we need to ALLOW these type of popups??? I can see where you would need to have some kind of action for a mouse over command, but NOT a popup. This is clearly used ONLY for advertising purposes and I would think that a fix would be fairly easy (since they have already disabled the on load/unload popups).

Date: November 28, 2001 10:24AM

And yes, I'm sure there are tons of ways to stop popups (I used to use Popup Stopper, until Mozilla added the kickass feature in) but the point is that I don't want to have third part software/plugins/proxies/firewalls to deal with. If the browser prevented this in the first place, then there would be no need to block them (I'm not whining about it, just making a point). Am I the only one that things web site authors have too much control over my browser and surfing experience??

Posted by: po
Date: November 28, 2001 10:51AM

well, once upon a time it was all gonna have something to do with <a href="http://crit.org/">hypertext</a>; instead of trying to seperate the TV-like bloat you want to see from the TV-like bloat they want you to see... oh well.

at least in k-meleon they can't mess with your scrollbar color... ;-)

Date: November 28, 2001 02:50PM

HH,

Although the mouse-over pop-up is annoying, the reason it is allowed is that the same style javascript functions allow for legitimate user-desired pop-up windows. Blocking the mouseover pop-ups would also block a lot of legitimate windows. But, since many find it annoying, I'll see if I can find the proper security configs to do that.

Do you have a site I can test on?

Andrew

Posted by: M
Date: November 28, 2001 03:41PM

Andrew,

Here is a test site. http://www.michaelmanfre.com:81/popup_test.html

- M

Date: November 28, 2001 04:32PM

This address doesn't seem to be working...

Andrew

Posted by: Alfonso
Date: December 06, 2001 09:56AM

Due to the fact that K-Meleon is based on Mozilla, I think that the other preferences to block popups (there is one that block ALL kind of popups or based on a site-configuration) is available and only need just like Mozilla a front-end so the users can easily manage this pref.

I know that this is being worked in Mozilla and maybe after seeing how it works it can also be added to Kmeleon.

Date: December 07, 2001 05:53AM

Alfonso,

We can add any pref that is working. What is the list of those prefs?

Andrew

Posted by: Luis E
Date: December 08, 2001 10:35PM

Andrew,

Just wondering about the development of K-meleon.

- Are you guys still working on it??? because checking the CVS site all of the files are at least 2 months old. Or you are using an alternate CVS server for the real development and update the SourceForce one every time you have a new release ?

- Now some thing out of topic. I been trying to get kmeleon to auto complete the url when you start typing it.

- Is there any plans to make k-meleon skinable or implement a XP skin ?

Posted by: scratch
Date: December 09, 2001 06:15AM

There already is an XP skin. See the resources section of the site.

Date: December 10, 2001 05:15AM

Luis,

There was a CVS check-in the other day. The guys have been busy with some other projects but are planning to get back into some serious coding soon. Hang tight and some updates should be available soon.

Auto-complete is a frequently requsted feature but isn't available yet.

Andrew

Posted by: Alfonso
Date: January 07, 2002 03:53PM

Andrew:
sorry for not coming back sooner, the preference I was referring is this one:

user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.open", "noAccess");

you can get more hidden preferences here:
http://www.geocities.com/pratiksolanki/index.html

Date: January 07, 2002 05:11PM

Alfonso,

Remind me what this pref blocks?

Andrew

Date: January 07, 2002 05:12PM

Alfonso,

Never mind - I should have read the notes. OK, I'll file a Bug/RFE for that.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.