General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Can we get a new dev update?
Posted by: Andy
Date: August 09, 2002 03:03AM

It's been over a month since the last update. What's the status of k-meleon 0.7? I was under the impression that once the last moz bugs were cleared up it'd be a quick turnaround on 0.7.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can we get a new dev update?
Posted by: James Bond
Date: August 09, 2002 03:12AM

K-Meleon will be release.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: August 09, 2002 03:21AM

Andy,

While we did get the last two Mozilla bugs "resolved", we still had a number of smaller problems to get fixed. We also had people testing our latest beta to make sure everything was working the way it should be. Our main developer is working out the remaining bugs. Once he gives the green light, you should see a new release.

Posted by: EvilTroll
Date: August 09, 2002 04:22AM

I've heard threats of this 'green light' for months now. While I'm certain KM0.7 will be worth waiting for, I'd like to see a more public development process as in most Linux-flavored projects. There'd certainly be less bitching on the Forums.

Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: August 09, 2002 06:54AM

Sure there'd be less bitching about this paticular thing, but lets face it; the KM crew did a great job of .6, and if the length of time it's been in development is any cue, .7 should be even more stable and quick than the last.

(I know, way to go for setting up unreasonable expectations smiling smiley )

Posted by: po
Date: August 09, 2002 07:23AM

> While I'm certain KM0.7 will be worth waiting for, I'd like to see a more
> public development process as in most Linux-flavored projects.

I'm sure the developers would like that, too. smiling smiley

The fact is, though, that it's a *windoze* project, with the potential for not only an orders-of-magnitude *larger* bunch of people downloading it, but also far more, um... varied? can't think of a better euphemism. At any rate, it's disturbing to see people feeling like they're being *denied* access to something just because accessing it has become slightly less than one-click convenient; If you think about it, that's probably a very good illustration of the reasons for putting - hurdles? no... not even that... for setting the beta versions somewhere where people won't stumble over them...

> There'd certainly be less bitching on the Forums.

I suspect it would certainly not be less, maybe more, but definitely of the sort that would keep people who post questions on the forums from getting decent answers (and i'm not saying they always do now) by creating more confusion than anybody who might have the casual impulse to try to help would want to deal with.

I'm not saying the beta testing situation shouldn't bother you, but it's easy to say it should be different, and a little harder to come up with a good structure for making it better... maybe if someone wanted to host an exclusively beta-oriented site, to keep things a little bit organized, maybe the developers would go for that... there's been talk on the list of hosting weekly builds by at least one person... maybe that will happen, i dunno... smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.