General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
¿Am I using the right copy of k-meleon?
Posted by: me
Date: August 11, 2002 11:14AM

Hello,
since I downloaded the k-meleon 0.6 browser I've found a few problems.
First I realized that while I'm using k-meleon, if I go to DOS and type "netstat -a" there are two connections (among others) this way:
"
TCP <name>:1147 pop3.norton.antivirus:1148 ESTABLISHED
TCP <name>:1148 pop3.norton.antivirus:1147 ESTABLISHED
"
They are always at the end of the report.
It's courius that it only happens when I have a k-meleon window open (not when I'm just connected to the internet, or using other programs ftp.exe, telnet.exe, internet explorer...)
And it always is like the example: the first local port is the second remote port and the second local the first remote.
Every time I connect the port numbers change.
I've tried to disconnect and even unplug the telephone lead, but once I've open the k-meleon this connections remain until I shut down windows, and all time are "ESTABLISHED"

Besides some web pages give improper help. When I try to access http://www.wanadoo.es/gen/grids/caccesos/aclientes/jsp/a_93263 the images don't appear and there's in the center of them a sentence: "Click here to get the plugin", so it seems that I need a plugin, I click on the sentence and there's an advice window saying literally: "Information on this page requires a plug-in for: ...
Navigator can retrieve the plug-in for you from: ...
To retrieve the plug-in now, click the Get the Plug-in button and then select the plug-in you need from the page that appears. If you have trouble installing the plug-in, make sure that Java and JavaScript are enabled in Advances preferences, and that software installation is enabled (in the Software Installation category under Advanced)".
There are two options: "Get the Plug-in" or "Cancel"
First of all I try to get the plug-in but I'm redirected every time and cannot download the plug-in
But the problem is that ¡I don't have "Advanced preferences" in any menu! Althougt I have Java and JavaScript enable options in edit menu, preferences, I can't find any software installation option. In edit menu, preferences I just have the following categories: display, general, privacy, cache, proxy, configs and plugins.
It's strange.

But the worst of all, is that a short time ago, I downloaded the kmeleon06.exe file from download.com and ¡I've found that this file is different from the one downloaded from http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/! although they have exactly the same size. The copy I have installed is the one from http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
So I'm a little worried.

Do you have the same problems as me? or maybe my kmeleon06.exe is a troyan copy of k-meleon?
Should I install the copy from download.com?

Thank you very much

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ¿Am I using the right copy of k-meleon?
Posted by: po
Date: August 11, 2002 11:27AM

the local connections are normal - you don't need to worry about that... there are some threads around these forums on the subject - maybe search on 'firewall'...

i'm not sure why the copy from download.com would be different, if it's the same version... i would stick with the one from sourceforge... i don't have a copy of the 0.6 package on hand, or i'd give you a checksum; maybe somebody else can.

as for the plugin dialog, i think some of it may be remnants of mozilla stuff, so it may not conform exactly to k-meleon in it's instructions, etc... i've never tried to download/install any plugins, though, so i can't help much there... but again, there are some threads on the subject around here somewhere...

it's really late for me, or i'd try to find one for you. smiling smiley

Re: ¿Am I using the right copy of k-meleon?
Posted by: Arual the Wyrd
Date: August 12, 2002 03:22AM

There is a lot of Flash stuff on that http://www.wanadoo page, that's what you need the plug-in for. Might as well get it, but it is a long runaround :p
IMHOP Flash is overabused, but some sites use it in entertaining ways, so I have all the latest. winking smiley
You didn't say how the two K-Ms are "different" - ? (just nosy)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.