General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Java and K-Meleon.
Posted by: James Bond
Date: August 13, 2002 02:07AM

Is there a way to have KM support Microsoft Virtual Java Machine? Sun Java is way too slow compare to VJM. Why is Sun Java so slow when use with Netscape/Mozilla/K-Meleon?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Java and K-Meleon.
Posted by: Al.
Date: August 13, 2002 09:57PM

Microsoft JVM? No. In fact some people prefer the Sun JVM because there aren't as many (known) security flaws. The slowness is a trade off.

btw, the reason the Microsoft JVM is "faster" is because Microsoft manipulated it to be that way, as well as make it so some of the Java code would only run on Windows machines. Hence the ongoing lawsuit Sun has had with Microsoft. Another thing regarding this I recently read in a computer tech magazine is Microsoft will only be supporting their JVM until 2004, after that they will be dropping it completely. Originally when Windows XP was released, they didn't include the VM with the OS, however apparently they changed their minds on this issue, and will actually include the JVM with the upcoming Windows XP Service Pack 1. And like I said, it will be supported until early 2004, and then after that, people will probably have to switch to Sun's JVM anyways.

Date: August 14, 2002 02:27PM

Well, Sun better start improving the speed of their Java.

Posted by: Daniel
Date: August 14, 2002 08:30PM

yep! SUN debe hacer un Java tan rápido como Speedy Gonzales... yepa yepa yepaaaa... !!!

Date: August 14, 2002 09:24PM

What the fu*k are you saying?

Posted by: AckeeEater
Date: August 14, 2002 11:16PM

No he's not fu*king, he's saying "Sun ought to make a Java as fast as Speedy Gonzales.

How can simple Spanish come to stump James Bond?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Anyone here can tell if a K-Meleon is planned for Linux?

Posted by: Daniel
Date: August 14, 2002 11:57PM

No hay planes para Linux. Pero puedes usar Galeon q tambien es Gecko-based =)

Posted by: Ed
Date: September 16, 2002 02:32PM

No answer on speed, but you're right - Java2 sort of sucks. See my postings in the K-Meleon Improvment Requests forum - heading is "Java2 problem?" The page listed is only one of many that have similar problems. Looks like I'll have to stay with NS Navigator 4.8.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.