General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Newset beta comments
Posted by: Keith
Date: August 19, 2002 01:14PM

Just downloaded and installed the latest beta, and have a few comments, suggestions:

1) Fantastic works guys, looking great. :-)
2) Is there a way to modify what title (label) is applied to the various toolbars? I'd like to get rid of the labels for the "URL" and "Layer" toolbars. After all, the label is purely a waste of UI space IMO, since I for one already know what the toolbar does. :-)
3) The navigation toolbar doesn't remember it's position between runtime sessions. Every time I close and then reopen K-M, the nav toolbar resets to a position beside the throbber (forgetting where I set it to be in the previous session.)
4) The Layers plugin is fantastic, been waiting for this for a while. :-) a) Would it be possible to add a context menu to the Layer toolbar, adding the "New Layer" and "Delete Layer" functions to it? This would allow me to remove the Layer entry from the File Menu toolbar. b) Why not also put in a context menu for each Layer on the Layer toolbar (with the standard "minimize" "maximize" "size" "restore" "move" entries, and maybe a "next" entry to switch to the next layer.) Basically the same sort of thing Opera has. Adding these opions to context menus (rather than on the File Menu toolbar) makes sense from the perspective of the typical end-user's use of the windows UI (and actually this method is pretty much standard now.)

Hmm, I know there's other stuff I was going to mention but I forget at the moment! :-P Anyway, I guess I should submit this stuff to the bug tracker...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newset beta comments
Date: August 19, 2002 01:21PM

Ah yes, just remembered a small thing I forgot:

It's regarding he Layer plugin. There is no space *between* each Layer entry in the Layer toolbar. This is a small item I know, but a small space of maybe two pixels (since that appears to be the spacing above and below each Layer entry in the toolbar.) Maybe it should be only one pixel, I don't know ;-)... Yes not a huge deal from a useability standpoint, but modifying that spacing a couple of pixels will make all the difference in terms of UI consistency and aesthetics.

Date: August 19, 2002 04:09PM

A few other items:

1) It'd be nice to be able specify whether opening a new browser window opened a new Layer, or a whole new window.

2) The newest betas remember the window position and dimensions.... sort of, but it doesn't really work at this point. ,:-) K-Meleon will overwrite your preferred window dimensions with the dimensions of the last pop-up window that is spawned by the browser. It's made doubly bad because K-Meleon doesn't use your preferred window position and size for any subsequent windows you as the user may open after first running the program. To put it another way, browser pop-ups are able to overwrite the default window size, and K-M doesn't use the default, *user-preferred* window position for all new user-spawned windows. The net effect is that the user loses the ability to control and specify the default position and size of K-M, both when it's intially run, *and* when the user opens a new browser window.

Posted by: po
Date: August 20, 2002 01:45AM

you can maintain a consistent window setting on *startup*, for whatever that's worth, by adding these lines to a user.js file in the same folder as prefs.js (but with your own dimensions, of course):

user_pref("kmeleon.display.XPos", 0);
user_pref("kmeleon.display.YPos", 0);
user_pref("kmeleon.display.height", 528);
user_pref("kmeleon.display.width", 760);

opening New Windows and New Layers each have their own method of being called, either one of which could be assigned to a keyboard shortcut, etc...

the URL: and Layers: labels on the toolbars can be removed with a hex editor, as described on some recent thread in these forums... the plugin is small enough that maybe somebody could distribute one compiled without the label... unless that can be added in as a configurable feature, which might be nice, i guess...

Date: August 20, 2002 02:33AM

Hey Po.

Yeah I have all those values in there already (running the latest beta.) There are two problems here basically:

1) Having K-M remember your preferred, default start window position and dimensions. These 4 values are *meant* to make this possible, but there is an extra factor which basically nullifies them. What is it you ask? *K-M still allows pop windows to overwrite these values.* Go to a site with popups. The windows will pop up, and you'll close them. You still have your main K-M window open, so close that. Now restart K-M. See? The default window now has whatever position and dimensions the last window that was generated had (in this case, it was a pop-up.) So basically these four values are useless so long as they are overwritable by pop up windows (windows not explicitly opened by the user.)

2) New windows opened by the user retain the proper dimensions, but *not* the proper position (as specified by the values "user_pref("kmeleon.display.XPos", 0);" and "user_pref("kmeleon.display.YPos", 0);" . Besides this being a desireable feature that's missing, its absence presents problems in terms of the situation I prviously outlined. :-)

Am I being clear enough? If I'm not explaining things well enough let me know. :-)

Date: August 20, 2002 04:01AM

> So basically these four values are useless so long as
> they are overwritable by pop up windows...

it might be me who's not explaining well enough?

if you actually put the lines in a file named user.js in the same directory as your other profile stuff, it *should* get parsed at startup, and overwrite any existing settings in the prefs.js file (such as those left behind by those errant popups) and should *never* be written to by k-meleon, AFAIK... this will only help to the degree that you actually EXIT k-meleon between sessions, and then start it up again, but it's an occasional fresh start, anyway...

i'm certainly not denying there are issues with window size/position - i'm just trying to point out one thing that might help somewhat... i don't think about these problems much, since my screen is too small for anything but maximized windows... winking smiley

Date: August 20, 2002 05:13AM

/me smacks forehead with palm of head. Doh! You're right. Sorry, my bad. I made the file user.js and added those lines, and it worked of course. :-) I also downloaded XVI and performed that hex edit hack on both the main exe and the layers plug. It worked like a charm, got rid of the labels perfectly.

Thanks for indulging me with your follow-up, otherwise I'd still obliviously have my head up my corn hole. :-P

Date: August 20, 2002 05:34AM

yay! on that happy Mission Accomplished note, i think i'll go to sleep. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rhys
Date: August 20, 2002 08:02AM

Hi Keith,

You should not need to hack the layers plugin to remove the label "Layers".

If you add the following entry to user.js (or prefs.js) it will effectively remove the label...

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.layers.title", "");

I've tested it in K-M 0.6 and it works fine.

Date: August 20, 2002 02:49PM

You're right, that works too. :-) That's a sight better han hex editing the plugin, thanks.

Date: August 21, 2002 02:18AM

huh... i had no idea... ya learn something every day... if you're not careful... smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.