General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
display Chinese character
Posted by: fai
Date: August 22, 2002 07:56AM

Hi

I am using K-Meleon as my default browser and installed the internationl language pack for viewing Chinese character. In most cases, K-meleon can display Chinese correctly, but in some cases it cannot, is there any way to manually set the encoding preference like the one in IE in K-Meleon? Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: display Chinese character
Posted by: cobra libre
Date: August 23, 2002 01:33AM

Based on what I can tell, non-Latin characters will display fine if the page (or server) declares the correct character encoding (and UTF-8 seems to always work well), but when no character encoding is declared, then it is necessary to manually specify an encoding using the browser. So yes, this is definitely a needed feature if good internationalization support is desired (and it should be).

A rather minor issue that I've noticed is that, even when the page itself displays non-Latin characters correctly, the tooltips used for ALT text may not. This is also true of the title bar and the layer label. A good example is here:

https://es.3ds.verifiedbyvisa.com/enrollment/enrollCardholderPan.jsp?preferred_language=ja_JP

(This page should use UTF-8)

Options: ReplyQuote

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.